Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Is mpg corrrect

Ken.K

Hello all, am going to be working 50 miles from each so a daily journey of 100miles. Currently my mk2.5 1.6 focus is doing 38mpg and with lack of a 6th gear engine starts to struggle from 85. Is the mpg about average for the 1.6?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

When you say "struggle from 85", do you mean 85MPH?  I know I am hardly a stickler for speed limits, but that's taking it a bit extreme, even on motorways.  And if that is how fast you are going, then 38MPG is pretty good!!

Let's just say the revs start climbing and the engine gets noticeably louder. I have driven a 2l focus and at the same speed it was smoother and quieter maybe it was due to the 6th gear.

53 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Let's just say the revs start climbing and the engine gets noticeably louder. I have driven a 2l focus and at the same speed it was smoother and quieter maybe it was due to the 6th gear.

It sounds like if you want to drive at those sort of speeds which I do not condone, but your going to need something with a bit more grunt or at least a 6th gear just like you said about the 2L Focus.

I usually average about 75 on the motorway and sometimes not everytime I have reached 85. I have a black box in my car do cannot really be going crazy till next year. So seems normal then and I just have to change my driving style rather than a full service earlier

• Like 1

I just hope you are not on the same stretch of road as any of my family when you decide the time is right to "go crazy". :ohmy:

I just hope you are not on the same stretch of road as any of my family when you decide the time is right to "go crazy". ohmy.png

Wow 85mph and people are going crazy. So no one has ever done above 70 before?

I just hope you are not on the same stretch of road as any of my family when you decide the time is right to "go crazy". ohmy.png

I'm not going to say I've never gone over 70 because I'd be lying but with the introduction of smart motorways and HADECS 3 cameras 90% of the time I stick to 70 as 'apparently' people have got tickets for 71 mph.

Plus its not the fact of just the speed your doing, think of the difference if you hit someone at that speed that's the major factor.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tbh you're lucky if you can maintain that for any length of time with the amount of traffic about. :sad: 

My average mpg isn't any different between 60, 70 or 80, but if you're going to be doing constant high speed you'd be far better off with something low revving at speed, 2.0 diesel would be ideal imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken.K said:

I usually average about 75 on the motorway and sometimes not everytime I have reached 85. I have a black box in my car do cannot really be going crazy till next year. So seems normal then and I just have to change my driving style rather than a full service earlier

You have a black box yet you regularly drive at 85mph?! Bet your insurance love you...

I have one and rarely ever touch 80..and that's just to overtake someone!

Am constantly having gold score so that is good on insurance renewal coming up soon so will see the damage

Am constantly having gold score so that is good on insurance renewal coming up soon so will see the damage

The black box I had only recorded 150 of the 500 miles that I did, I don't think they are as bad or work as well as people think.

My car is constant parked and I only drive weekends averaging 30mph. The 80mph has been like once in months. If I do get the job though I would be looking at getting a 2l. 1.8minimum with a 6th gear

My car is constant parked and I only drive weekends averaging 30mph. The 80mph has been like once in months. If I do get the job though I would be looking at getting a 2l. 1.8minimum with a 6th gear

Its your choice how you drive, I think most of us just don't want you to put others at risk, if your going to speed just don't get caught [emoji6]

My car is constant parked and I only drive weekends averaging 30mph. The 80mph has been like once in months. If I do get the job though I would be looking at getting a 2l. 1.8minimum with a 6th gearSent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Its your choice how you drive, I think most of us just don't want you to put others at risk, if your going to speed just don't get caught [emoji6]

I never put others ay risk and only do that on a clear road mate and good conditions. Am not an Audi driver

My car is constant parked and I only drive weekends averaging 30mph. The 80mph has been like once in months. If I do get the job though I would be looking at getting a 2l. 1.8minimum with a 6th gearSent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Its your choice how you drive, I think most of us just don't want you to put others at risk, if your going to speed just don't get caught [emoji6] Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I never put others ay risk and only do that on a clear road mate and good conditions. Am not an Audi driver

I am glad to hear that, there is some who couldn't care less about others, glad to hear your not one of them [emoji3]

12 hours ago, Ken.K said:

You said in your orignal post  you were going to go crazy  next year when I am guessing you wont have the black box. Sounded to me like you ar planning to do speeds well in excess of 85. Like I say, I hope no one in my family is anywhere near you.

You said in your orignal post  you were going to go crazy  next year when I am guessing you wont have the black box. Sounded to me like you ar planning to do speeds well in excess of 85. Like I say, I hope no one in my family is anywhere near you.

Yeah mate I will be doing 100 plus. Hahahahaha. I meant in the sense of doing 80-85 constantly. Also am sure your family members can judge if someone wants to overtake and move out the way.

Maybe those family members are the ones holding everyone up at 69mph in the overtaking lane... :laugh:

Using a phone, eating, smoking, kids distracting etc are all far more dangerous than doing 85 on a motorway anyway.  

Maybe those family members are the ones holding everyone up at 69mph in the overtaking lane... [emoji23]

Using a phone, eating, smoking, kids distracting etc are all far more dangerous than doing 85 on a motorway anyway.  

That's very true actually Tom, if they are doing 85 at least they'll get out of your way quickly!

On a serious note though am happy at least nothing is wrong with my car and just my driving is the problem on my mpg

On a serious note though am happy at least nothing is wrong with my car and just my driving is the problem on my mpg

Look at it this way, if you had a Bugatti Chiron and cruised at its top speed you would drain its tank in 9 minutes, bit you don't need to worry about that. Kudos to whoever can guess where I picked that fact up from.

Overall though as you say the ultimate factor is driving style but 38mpg is still fairly impressive.

Just did 130mile trip to Wolverhampton reset mpg and miles stuck to 75mph and on reaching destination checked avg mpg and I got 43.3mpg, I say not bad at all not bad.

18 minutes ago, Ken.K said:

Just did 130mile trip to Wolverhampton reset mpg and miles stuck to 75mph and on reaching destination checked avg mpg and I got 43.3mpg, I say not bad at all not bad.

That's not bad for a petrol, almost as good as my turbo diesels!

Yep not bad at all. happy with the result of the test. Driving style definitely changed at least till I upgrade soon. But well chuffed. Probably will see even better after a good major servicing next year where I will change timing belt, water pump and all filters and any old looking hoses.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club