Do Not Sell My Personal Information

water in boot

shadow

07 focus c max. one of the gutter cover trim is missing. and have water in the boot. would there be any connection?. have read that when I replace the cover trim, to put some sealant under it. would this be necessary.  thanks for any help  

Hi. The gutter rails have been mentioned before for possible leaking points along with rear lights and hinge mounting points. My 2012 Focus was actually leaking through one of the rear quarter body air vents located behind the rear bumper. Its easier to sit a trickling hose pipe on the roof and then wait for the water to start coming in so you can trace it back. My wifes Grande Punto had a leak due to one of the body panel seam seals perishing! It really is time for a bit of investigation work im afraid rather than guessing.

On 28/11/2016 at 10:35 PM, shadow said:

one of the gutter cover trim is missing. and have water in the boot. would there be any connection?. have read that when I replace the cover trim, to put some sealant under it.

I had water leaking into my boot, and using a watering can, tracked it to the gutter. In warm, dry weather (ha!, might be some time from now!), I firmly shoved a generous amount of silicone sealant up under the gutter, in between gutter & roof. It seems to have stopped it.

I Just have water coming in the front now. I have not managed to track that down yet. It may be the windscreen. Bah.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I had water leaking into my boot, and using a watering can, tracked it to the gutter. In warm, dry weather (ha!, might be some time from now!), I firmly shoved a generous amount of silicone sealant up under the gutter, in between gutter & roof. It seems to have stopped it.

I Just have water coming in the front now. I have not managed to track that down yet. It may be the windscreen. Bah.

hi peter

have same problem with rhs rear tail lamp sealed around hinges on tailgate but water still gets in with heavy rain do you have any photos of location where you used the silicone

regards

paul

25 minutes ago, theredfox said:

hi peter

have same problem with rhs rear tail lamp sealed around hinges on tailgate but water still gets in with heavy rain do you have any photos of location where you used the silicone

regards

paul

If you remove the light cluster have a look if its just a foam gasket that creates the seal between the light and the car body. If it is then a good smearing of grease on the gasket will create a seal. I always do that on my cars as it cured a leak in the past for me. You should be able to see on the gasket if water has been getting past it as there will be a slightly dirty residue on it where its been leaking in. I wouldnt use silicone as you need to be able to remove the light unit in future to change bulbs, grease doesnt set so it will not stick the light and car body together. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theredfox said:

do you have any photos of location where you used the silicone

Not currently. When light, if all is not frozen solid, I will try to get one. I just re-read wot I wrote, and didn't mean gutter, I meant roof rack rail. It was late!

The C-max may be different in design there.

I checked the rear light cluster thoroughly first, it did not seem to be that on mine, but it is a weak spot.

31 minutes ago, WES180 said:

If you remove the light cluster have a look if its just a foam gasket that creates the seal between the light and the car body. If it is then a good smearing of grease on the gasket will create a seal. I always do that on my cars as it cured a leak in the past for me. You should be able to see on the gasket if water has been getting past it as there will be a slightly dirty residue on it where its been leaking in. I wouldnt use silicone as you need to be able to remove the light unit in future to change bulbs, grease doesnt set so it will not stick the light and car body together. 

Hi Wes180

what type of grease did you use?? thanks for the reply's guys

22 minutes ago, theredfox said:

Hi Wes180

what type of grease did you use?? thanks for the reply's guys

I just use bearing grease but any would do. I apply it quite liberally so it lasts for years.

It wont let me delete this box! 😀

20 hours ago, theredfox said:

do you have any photos of location where you used the silicone

It is not possible to see the leak point, the fixing is some way up under the rail. I just pushed the nozzle in as far as it would go (where the screwdriver is), and squirted plenty of silicone in there. It seems to have done the job.

It does not look like the area inside that tailgate has been washed recently, or indeed, ever blush.png!

CAR-LEA2.JPG

1 hour ago, Tdci-Peter said:

It is not possible to see the leak point, the fixing is some way up under the rail. I just pushed the nozzle in as far as it would go (where the screwdriver is), and squirted plenty of silicone in there. It seems to have done the job.

It does not look like the area inside that tailgate has been washed recently, or indeed, ever blush.png!

CAR-LEA2.JPG

thanks for pic for reference Peter never really thought it could leak there

quick update. had rain here last night, covered parcel shelf in kitchen towel, this morning the towel was wet under the iso fix roof belt. the roof felt dry. can the roof bar be easily removed , and replaced with silicone?.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club