Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Malfunction, check engine light illuminated but no DTC code?

Luke97

Hi all,

In the past couple of days I've noticed a real lack of power from my 1.6 TDCI engine. Whenever I accelerate in 4th or 5th gear the power seems to come in pulses but again not overly powerful. Tonight whilst joining the motorway, again with the car feeling sluggish, the engine malfunction warning appeared on the trip computer followed by the check engine light illuminating. I tried to check the DTC code but it comes back with #00 NONE? What could the issue be?

Kind regards,

Luke.

how were you checking the code?   I have heard some people saying they checked the codes through the speedo console display but I am not sure about that as being able to show all codes held for engine faults.

how many miles? when was fuel filter last changed? there are a zillion things it could be, but it was the fuel filter on my 1.6tdci and the fault code was showing low fuel pressure. (the filter had been on there for 120k)

Definitely sounds like a fuel pressure problem.
A dirty Fuel filter is a common problem, there is no service interval for it iirc but after I had this problem on my old mk2 I decided that having it changed on every major service was a good idea.
Also be sure that any filter seals are replaced too as they don't like being reused.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Plus one for fuel filter.

Had exactly the same scenario on the second hand Tdci I bought. Changed fuel filter and sorted the problems straight away. Beware you need to get hold of an inline hand priming bulb thingy to draw the diesel through the new filter to fill it up. I had an old hypodermic ink cartridge syringe which I filled with clean diesel and injected down the inlet pipe into the injection pump before I reconnected the fuel filter to help fuel priming. Keep everything ultra clean and if you have problems restarting after the filter change repeat the bleeding procedure and try again. Don't crank the engine over excessively on the starter; they're not designed for repetitive use without allowing time to cool off! They can be tricky to get running after the filter change but well worth it. Good luck!

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies!

I took my car down to my local garage on Thursday where on their diagnostics system picked up that there was low air flow going into the turbo. £200 later and still having the same issues whilst accelerating in 4th or 5th gear on the motorway! So it could definitely be related to the fuel filter? I bough the car back in March this year with 52k on the clock for a 7 year old vehicle. It's recently clocked over 70k and i don't know when the filter was last changed....

I've been going onto the test menu to check for DTC codes on the trip computer...

The cluster diagnostics code only shows some basic DTC codes not all of them. The only way to check it properly is on suitable diagnostics equipment.

If the garage said low air flow into the turbo then it is likely to be a turbo issue or causing the turbo under boost, however it would help if we knew what DTC codes we're stored.

If it's the 110bhp then it has variable vanes in the turbo that often coke up and cause turbo under boost or over boost. The vanes either allow more exhaust gasses to spool the turbo up or stop the exhaust gases from spooling the turbo up.

If there is under boost then a check of the inter cooler hoses is a must as that will also cause under boost.

As has been suggested though the first thing to check would be to change the fuel filter to rule that out.

Also I assume your car has a DPF still fitted, again checking this is important as a blocked filter can cause issues as it can cause the engine to suffocate as it can't exhaust the gases properly.

There are a multitude of possibilities and diagnostics will give an indication of where to start.

You say the garage said low air flow, so I assume it was turbo under boost DTC that was logged. You also say it cost you £200 what did the garage do for that other than the diagnostics?

Lastly you have paid them to fix it and it's still the same so I would be taking it back to them as they have not fixed it.

The turbo intake pipe had a hole in it... But this was brought to my attention months ago and wasn't a massive issue in terms of the cars performance. This pipe was replaced as this was picked up on the diagnostics at the garage, and they replaced the pipe and the sensor.

The DPF is on the car but I'm not sure whether that's the problem as about 95% of the time the engine gets up to operating temperature to allow it to regenerate as most of the driving I do every day is 70 miles on the motorway to and from work at 70mph etc.

It only in situations where I accelerate on the motorway fast enough for my car to accelerate in 4th or 5th gear. And it only seems to be those 2 gears that I have issues accelerating in as the car seems to have weak pulse of power even though my foot could be mashed to the floor but not a lot happens...? Acceleration in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear seems to be fine and the turbo is okay as well...

It a bit of a grey area as only recently I started using supermarket diesel and its just suddenly lost a lot of power!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Last weekend I took my car back to the garage and they cleared the codes from my car. But came up with the turbo underboost and turbo overboost codes? Why is it doing this? I still haven't replaced the filters but will get that done when it goes for its service. It was last serviced 10k miles ago...

17 hours ago, Luke97 said:

But came up with the turbo underboost and turbo overboost codes? Why is it doing this?

Getting both of those codes does suggest a sticking turbo actuator, like Simcor suggested. Changing air & fuel filters is not expensive, and worth trying first. Supermarket fuel will not cause this problem unless there is some underlying fault that makes it hyper sensitive to fuel type or quality.

In some cars, the actuator mechanism can be moved by hand when the engine is off. But it probably needs turbo removal to inspect and clean it properly.

Another possibility is a faulty MAP sensor. This is what measures the turbo pressure. But major faults with this sensor will raise DTCs specific to it.

not expense my bottom, the 1.6 TDCI fuel filter is the most expensive fuel filter I have ever replaced! it should be changed every 12k but that wouldn't explain your DTCs