Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Ti-vct and ecoboost 1.6

jace1969

I have the old 1.6 Ti-vct and i think its a great engine and not a single problem in over 2 years and quiet etc and mpg aint that bad compared to eco but my thing is

The 1.6 eco with no turbo what would it be like in BHP or is it the Turbo the big thing on these say the ST and being mine aint got one is this

the big thing as there are lots of tuning possibilities for the ecoboost with a big increase but not a lot for my Ti-vct and if so don't gain a lot.

So what is a 1.6 ecoboost with no turbo be like.

All Ecoboosts have turbos Jace. I have the 1.6 Zetec S 182 ps and its fairly rapid as standard.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WES180 said:

All Ecoboosts have turbos Jace. I have the 1.6 Zetec S 182 ps and its fairly rapid as standard.

Hi,yes i know they all have the Turbo on but what would it be like with no turbo on the BHP etc as then just a normal 1.6 like mine just a lot newer engine.

So you mean just a newer 1.6 Ti-VCT then not a 1.6 ecoboost? Ecoboost is the engine mate, not a model. Newer 1.6 Ti-VCT engine (non turbo) is 125ps. Ive not driven one though to be able to comment on how it actually performs. My mk3 drives lovely though, feels so well planted on the road. I can highly recommend the Zetec S 182ps  if you want some affordable power without ST prices.

Say you have a 1.6 Ecoboost ST  and take the turbo off it so then its a normal 1.6 engine what would it be like in speed/BHP.

I read a topic on here a few months ago on the 1 litre with no turbo but what would the 1.6 be like.

The 1.6 ecoboost is based on the 1.6 Ti-VCT anyway, so if you took off the turbo and re-programmed it, it would in theory run pretty much the same as the 125PS.

They are a completely different engine and you wouldn't be able to remove the turbo and still run it, the 1.6 ti-vct is a naturally aspirated whereas the 1.6 eco boost isn't :)
i have the 1.6 ti-vct and love it, okay it doesn't have the most power, but I would prefer to have comfort over power most days :D

Here's a few pics of mine :)
eb0d8ad05a0fa4746a960d29c9e34129.jpg
7525295ca33823862cd93a8d51ee7510.jpg
b6866a6c4689ad9b2c516b34eacf6572.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

They're not completely different. While a lot changed, the 1.6 Ti-VCT provided the basis for the 1.6 ecoboost.

Same bore x stroke.

So while it wouldn't work in practice, theoretically a 1.6 ecoboost without the turbo and associated changes to support the turbo, is a 1.6 ti-vct (sigma) engine.

• Like 2

Really? I was told different about the engines etc as I enquired once about adding a turbo but that's a different story,
How hard would it be to remove a turbo and support the engine to run without it?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

The problem is going to be the ECU, how you tell the engine is doesn't have a turbo any more.

• Like 2

I see now,cleared up a nice few things for me on the 1.6 ecoboost,so in that case the eco 1.6 in a modern 4 pot Ti-vct with a turbo and

all the other bits added like the map/tuning,in that case then the block which is a 4 pot is not a complete new block like the 1.0eco 3 pot 125ps.

It's the same with the 2.0 ecoboost, it's based on the NA 2.0 duratec.

The 1.0 Ecooost is a totally from the ground up new engine though.

Even the 1.5 ecoboost is an evolution (in some ways, not in others, lol), of the 1.6 ecoboost. Primarily just shortened the stroke and fit a water based intercooler to the intake.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexp999 said:

It's the same with the 2.0 ecoboost, it's based on the NA 2.0 duratec.

The 1.0 Ecooost is a totally from the ground up new engine though.

Even the 1.5 ecoboost is an evolution (in some ways, not in others, lol), of the 1.6 ecoboost. Primarily just shortened the stroke and fit a water based intercooler to the intake.

Just read about the engines,the 1 litre as you said is a complete new engine,think its called a 'fox' and the 1.6 is still a 'sigma' block.

Cheers Alex some good info there and makes me look at my 1.6 Ti-cvt in a different way as i did think the 1.6 eco was a new engine.

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Say you have a 1.6 Ecoboost ST  and take the turbo off it so then its a normal 1.6 engine what would it be like in speed/BHP.

I read a topic on here a few months ago on the 1 litre with no turbo but what would the 1.6 be like.

Im confused lol. Were you actually thinking of buying an ST and taking the turbo off then or just wondering why you get more power gains on a turbo compared to yours? In fact mate, never mind as im giving myself headache! :laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WES180 said:

Im confused lol. Were you actually thinking of buying an ST and taking the turbo off then or just wondering why you get more power gains on a turbo compared to yours? In fact mate, never mind as im giving myself headache! :laugh:

Lol,no mate what it was i was always confused on the 1.6 ST Ecoboost engine as i knew the 1 litre was a complete engine with 3 cylinder and Turbo and

i knew the 1.6 was a 4 pot engine but didn't know if the 1.6 Ecoboost was a complete new engine like the 1 litre but now i know its just the same block as mine.

As for the Turbo a few months ago i read something on here about a 1 litre with no Turbo what it would be like as its a 3 pot 1litre car so just asking what would

the 1.6 be like but as Alex said it would be around 125ps which is close to mine so its the Turbo that makes the different on the 1.6 and a few tweaks as still a 'Sigma'.

• Like 1

Where does the EcoBoost come into all this.....Eco.... being how the timing moves on low revs Ti-vct also direct injection and the boost the Turbo. 

as its same MPG as a normal 1.6.(mine)

Just interested as it has confused me for ages on the 1.6 and how you cant get the 1.6 Eco in a titanium only ST in the fiesta.

Also same tax just not the same speed as the ST would eat me up and spit me out the exhaust. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club