Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it difficult to replace rear discs and pads on a 2006 ford focus (discs back-front) ?

Fastlife91

I have a 2006 focus, it has discs back - front. I have done some repairs, wheel bearing, steering arms + track rod ends, radiator, e..t.c

car failed MOT yesterday, one of the things was brake pads rear. well the discs aren't too good so I'm going to replace them as well. I have never done brakes before so just wanted to know if it is very difficult and if there are any tips you may be able to give or advice.

How will I know if I put the brakes on properly, would I know within the first few minutes of taking it for a small drive ?  I don't want to experience brake problems out on a busy road so will I know if they are fitted properly if I take it for a 2 minute drive after putting them on ?

thanks 

27 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Take it to a qualified mechanic.

Thanks.

May I ask, why do you suggest this when I am asking if it should be okay for me to attempt this job myself ? according to YouTube it is not so difficult and I already have the replacement discs and pads that I bought from eBay which came this morning ?

thanks 

2 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

if there are any tips you may be able to give

For anyone wanting to replace pads and/or disks, here are a few tips. Not guaranteed to be comprehensive, or a complete guide, but it may cover some bits glossed over in youtube vids.

Photograph the brakes before dismantling, as a reminder where the spring goes, etc.

For rear brakes, you will need a wind-back tool. The caliper piston must be turned (clockwise on the Focus & most cars) while being pushed in. It requires moderate inward pressure, while being rotated. The tool has pins to locate in holes in the piston. I tried improvising a couple of years ago, and damaged a caliper seal, to teach me a lesson.ohmy.pngblush.png

When pushing back pistons, loosen the lid of the fluid reservoir, and be prepared to remove fluid, eg with a syringe. Alternatively, open the caliper bleed screw (if not seized!) a little.

Have string or wire handy to tie up & support the calipers once removed.

Clean off any anti-corrosion coating that may be on the braking surface of the new disks. Meths will do.

Copperslip type grease is used very sparingly on the metal to metal contact points between pads & caliper. Silicone or rubber grease is used on the caliper sliding pins.

A torque wrench (unless you have the experience to judge torque) is advised for the caliper bracket bolts & caliper pins.

Work carefully, and double check at each assembly stage that all needed jobs are done. Clean any fingerprints or grease off the disk or pad braking surfaces with meths. Refer to your photos.

I use a quiet little local road, with a steep gradient, to test brakes. They will feel spongier & less precise than the old ones for a while. But they should still be smooth, progressive & stop the car without excessive pedal travel. They should bed in within 20 - 50 miles of normal driving.

The first time you do this job, If possible, get someone with some experience to look over the job before the wheels go back on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

Thanks.

May I ask, why do you suggest this when I am asking if it should be okay for me to attempt this job myself ? according to YouTube it is not so difficult and I already have the replacement discs and pads that I bought from Ebay which came this morning ?

thanks 

For me - and I know you didn't ask for my opinion, if I were to have a go at fixing something on my car without any prior knowledge, I would not choose a safety critical component that puts the lives of you and others around you at risk, if you get it wrong.

I dont think that the previous poster was being harsh by saying that, just suggesting that maybe this is a step too far unless you have someone there to show you what you need to know?

• Like 1

It is one thing doing work on the engine, because if you screw it up then the worst that will happen is it conks out and you are stuck at the side of the road - no big deal.  If you screw up the brakes then you could kill somebody, EVEN AT LOW SPEEDS.

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching this on Youtube a few nights back, very comprehensive guide to replacing discs and pads. I watched it as in the new year, I'm going to do all 4 corners. I've done brakes before and they are not hard if you know what you are doing, most cars are the same but I wanted to take a look and see if there was any different tools or whatnot, but take a look at this short video. Hopefully it will have all the info that you need for the job. The Back will be roughly the same as the front.

Oh, and the discs come with a small film of grease/oil on them. This is to prevent rust while they are on the shelf.  A can of brake cleaner is about £2 at europarts. You can also get all the parts from them for about £110 all in if you use their discount codes they provide. Good luck

Alan.