Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Worth buying a Ford Fiesta with outstanding glow plug recall issue?

jessb123

Hi All, 

I'm completely new to this forum so I hope I have set this up okay. 

I am about to buy a Ford Fiesta 62 plate diesel and happened to remember a friend of mine with the same model mentioning a recall because of some sort of fire risk so I checked on the Ford website using the cars reg and this car is being recalled and has not been in for the problem yet. 

My question is, I'm assuming that I won't have to pay to have this fixed if it is a recall? Is it still worth buying the car with this issue? 

I have very limited knowledge of cars, although I am getting a very good deal on this one so any advice regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated as I need to transfer the money over asap. 

Thanks

• Like 1

No, you don't have to pay for any work required as part of a safety recall.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/101033/recalls-should-i-worry

Some of our fleet works vehicles are 62+ plate Fiesta 1.5L diesels and are all being recalled for the same issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Zico said:

No, you don't have to pay for any work required as part of a safety recall.

Some of our fleet works vehicles are 62+ plate Fiesta 1.5L diesels and are all being recalled for the same issue.

Is it still wise to buy it with this issue? I'm concerned about buying it and then it blowing up! 

The replacement part/s should resolve any issues.

Where are you buying the car from? It might be worth asking them to get the car serviced and recall dealt with before you purchase.

I'm buying it from work, it is an ex car scheme vehicle. They just want it gone as they only have limited space and a number of cars coming back all the time so they unfortunately won't do this for me, though I may mention it just to see what they say. If its free of charge then its not a massive concern and I'll book it in as soon as i'm officially the owner, I just wasn't sure how big of a deal this was.

• Like 1

If you're buying from work then you could argue about having to spend your own time to fix a matter that they should be responsible for at the present time.

Depending on things, you could put the idea to your boss about getting the time off (without losing pay) to get the car fixed if the company don't do it themselves.

Annoyingly I am not in tomorrow and that is the only time I have to sort out banking so the money will have to be transferred tomorrow. I'll drop the car scheme manager an email in the morning to see if she's aware of it. They've only had the car back for two weeks from whichever colleague had it so I'm not even sure who would know about it being recalled. 

Fortunately I work flexi-time so I wouldn't really have to argue about having the time off paid!

Thanks for you help. Out of interest, would you buy the car knowing it had a recall issue? Or this issue in particular?

This is the link for the recall:

https://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=7E425291F1BD95758025800B002AC26A

I've never really thought about buying a vehicle that had a recall issue. I'm note sure on how much of an issue the glow plug recall is and, if the replacement module resolves the issues, then I guess there shouldn't be any problem (assuming the rest of the car is in good working order).

If you're in doubt, don't rush things, try contacting the local Ford dealership as they should be able to advise you on the recall in greater detail.

I just had my recall fixed last week. Can't see it being an issue and don't think it should put you off getting the car. 

I just called my local Ford dealer. Booked it in and withing 1 and a half hours I was on my way back home. 

• Like 1

its not an issue you should be worried about, basically the glow plug module was not made weather proof sufficiently and over time can get moisture inside. its a 5 min job to replace.

• Like 3

Thank you for you help everyone. I'll buy it and call the nearest Ford dealership just to double check!