Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Self Service / DIY garage

BadLuckGuy

Been looking at my recent bad buy as an opportunity to learn more about motors other than just driving. Having spent £450 on a major service and cam belt already!

Next big thing is the brake discs and pads. I was all set to do it DIY except I don't have a garage and there's a slight slope on my drive. I know, I'm a looser and need to man up! But it's cold and wet out!

Although I plan to do some work on my drive next summer (oil and filter change maybe the rear drums) - my front pads and brakes are in bad condition so need doing.

This led to finding DIY garage bay rentals! They're look awesome and really good prices to rent with tools and I'm led to believe someome is usually around for advice.

Just wanted to know if anyone here has used them and your experience. Also is there any near Coventry/ warks - east or west mids?

3 hours ago, BadLuckGuy said:

I was all set to do it DIY except I don't have a garage and there's a slight slope on my drive. I know, I'm a looser and need to man up! But it's cold and wet out!

I find a bit of a slope on the drive a positive advantage, especially if the back wheels are to be lifted. Bricks under the front tyres, release the handbrake to let the car down onto the bricks, check both bricks are firmly trapped under the tyres, then you know the car can not move. The only way out is to use the engine (or a winch or tractor!).

But a sideways slope would not be so good. Not good at all, in fact.

But I know exactly what you mean about working in the cold! I just can not do it now. Gloves off, or touch cold metal, and my hands turn to white blocks of ice in an instant ohmy.png! I remember changing a Triumph 2000 CH in February outside, many years ago when I was young, foolish & tougher (well 2 things have changed since then). The puddles had ice on them. I had to warm up every 15 minutes or so, but managed to do it. Never again though.:surrender:

I had a quick look at bay rentals. With charges by the hour, the pressure to get on and finish would be unpleasant, and could lead to dodgy short cuts. Any unforeseen difficulties (eg parts needed) could be expensive. If it was just a simple covered area, with no equipment or expensive labour overheads, and with a modest daily charge, it would be something I would consider.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

If it was just a simple covered area, with no equipment or expensive labour overheads, and with a modest daily charge, it would be something I would consider.

It was the first thing I was looking for - just someone renting out a flat indoor garage / work space. But they all charge monthly (many on contract), only a few by the week. And although decent prices not justifyable for a couple of hours work.

Nearest I've seen to Coventry is 40-50 odd mile away in Milton Keynes. If all goes well I'd still save a bit of pocket money but get the experience of DIY. However that is if it goes well. Suppose your right to factor in the risk of mishaps and working under a time restraint. Something I need to ponder about.

Thanks for the reassurance of working on a slope - it's only slight going down, but never worked on a car apart from a quick wheel change. So deffo will be doing some work on it now, when it's warmer though!

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with a sloping drive, except a gravel one in monsoon weather...  Axle stand sunk so far in the car fell off it over night lol. :blush: 

Only thing you really need to be careful of is the jack bending/twisting on a solid front to back slope. :smile:  I'd much rather do stuff at home than in a rented bay for the same reason as Peter, time restraints and things going wrong, they almost always do lol.

• Like 2

BLG Have you ever thought of using a portable canopy? It has a metal frame work that is usually sturdy. You can buy them with just top or with sides too.

example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Carport-Canopy-Car-Shelter-Frame-10x20-Garage-Cover-Tent-Portable-Gazebo-/161904328817

• Like 1

Hi Joss

Just had a look and it's a fantastic idea. They're £169 on eBay so not a bad price. Only thing is It would prob take me half the day putting it up and another half to take down - which I would have to as I live with family.

I would prob leave it but don't think the family would appreciate me blocking the front or blocking the little light we do have from the the front window. Unfortunately we don't have a big enough side access or any rear access.

At this rate I'm prob going to have to get them done by a pro.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I have a 3x3 metre pop up gazebo thats good when it's raining for a short while until all the water starts running underneath and you end up soaked anyway! I paid £100 for mine a few years back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Axle stand sunk so far in the car fell off it over night lol.

If we really learnt by our mistakes & mishaps,ohmy.png:no:wacko.png then some of us here would be the wisest things in the entire universe :angel_not:. Pity it does not really work like that though!

I can't recall many jobs on car or home that have gone according to plan.

• Like 2

I've never had anything but a sloping drive to do my cars on and I've yet to undertake any car service under kind of cover.  

For rough weather servicing I wear a waterproof, windproof and insulated coverall. like this https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/dickies-padded-waterproof-overall-blue-l/

My current drive is a 9% gradient on one plane (north to south)  and a 3% from (east to west), my previous drive was 20% sloping from the road to the house.  When i lived in Tuscany, not only was the drive sloping but it wasn't a firm base (clay!:laugh: firm-ish in the summer: a quagmire when it rains!).  For that, I used to construct a scaffold board pathway and put the car on it.

Providing you're sensible, a sloping drive is not a handicap and in some senses can be advantageous, (as Peter says), over it's level counterpart.  Replacing the engine and gearbox, are whole lot easier on a sloping drive, for instance.

The only two things I've found can be a little irksome working outside; but easy to overcome with a little preparation are welding on a breezy day and obviously spray painting.  You need some kind of shielding around the area you're going to weld, or you can just increase the flow of the gas.  With painting you're restricted to windless days with low humidity, or you can use one of those canopies that Joss mentioned, as a temporary spray bay.

• Like 1

Thanks GMX

Suppose the overalls are a better investment as well - funny thing is it's not a bad day out today - cold yes. But clear and bright. Wasted opportunity [emoji21]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club