Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus st3 or titx?

laumk7

I currently have a fiesta st3 but my mileage means a diesel will be more economic - 7.5k miles in 4 months ownership. 

I'm toying with either the 2l 150ps titx or the st3, extras and toys about equal . 

My husband says a sports diesel is like an oxymoron lol, it can't happen. I've never so much as even driven a diesel so can't understand . 

Help

Sell me one or the other 

The ST diesel will have better handling and be more responsive.

If a Fiesta is big enough, then I'd say a 1.0 ST-Line might be better.

The petrol Focus ST feels big and heavy compared to a Fiesta, the diesel Focus ST will be even more so.

1 hour ago, alexp999 said:

The ST diesel will have better handling and be more responsive.

If a Fiesta is big enough, then I'd say a 1.0 ST-Line might be better.

The petrol Focus ST feels big and heavy compared to a Fiesta, the diesel Focus ST will be even more so.

The ST diesel is a LOT of fun though (without being bone breakingly harsh, so it can be used as a daily driver).

Depends on your definition of fun.

I love the power of the Focus ST, but even a 1.0 Fiesta is more fun to fling around the twisties.

As you do 20k+ miles a year, yes get a Diesel. As for which one, the ST3 would be fun but probably more tiring on a run. Harsher ride, louder tyre roar etc. I got a Mk3.5 Titx 2.0TDCi a few months ago after having a Mk3 1.6Tdci Tit. Prior to that a 1.8TDCi Mk1 Edge.

The Mk3 on 16" was a comfy car, better than the Mk1 on 16s. My Mk3.5 has optional 18s which i wouldn't have spec'd though they look good. I think the ride is just avbout right. 19s for me on an ST3 would be a step too far. Might even be 20s. The Titx is 17s as standard, which would be comfier still. The bigger point is on a high mileage car, tyre costs mount up. Especially on a heavy front wheel drive front engined car.

If going new, Drivethedeal etc. will also get you the TitX with better discounts than an ST3. If going used, an ST3 will likely have had a harder life.

Remember for £400 you can Bluefin the 2.0 150 to get about 200PS.

4 hours ago, laumk7 said:

My husband says a sports diesel is like an oxymoron lol, it can't happen. I've never so much as even driven a diesel so can't understand.

I disagree, I had the Mondeo ST TDCi and thought it was great, still plenty fast enough compared to the petrol ST220 and loved it even more when it was equiped with Superchips Bluefin. If i had the money i would opt for the ST3 but im still a boy racer at heart.

• Like 1

I had this debate when choosing my car earlier this year. I went with the 1.5TDCi TitX in the end. Couldn't justify the extra cost for a bigger engine and looks vs economy and tax. Both the ST3 and Tit X will be very similar if not the same for features i.e City Stop, Moving Xenons etc.

• Like 2