Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 Tyre Recommendation

skyking_comms

Hi,

I own a Focus MK3 2011 1.6 TDCI. It's just had an oil change and the garage advised one of the front tyres will soon need to be replaced.

I checked the tyres and realised the front tyres are different. Both 215/55/16 but different brands -  Ziex ZE914 and Hifly HF805. I presume budget brands.

On the back I have a pair of Michelin Primacy 3

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tyres as I will replace both of the front tyres at the same time. I do mainly A road and Motorway driving - up to 12,000 miles a year.

Thanks,

Darren

I personally have stuck with the factory brand Continental on my recent change. They had SportContact 3 out of the factory on my car, and my front tires did in excess of 26000 miles. I now have SportContact 5. They seem to handle just as well and fuel is around 54-57 mpg which seems the average for my engine.

Thanks for the advice - was reading through some older posts on here and others recommended Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance - so much choice!

I have owned Continental Premium Contac5 and now bought  Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance.

Have not mounted Goodyears yet but at least many reviews think that their performance is similar. However "some say" (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/EfficientGrip-Performance.htm) that Goodeyar will last longer vs Conti. 

Just looking those new tyres- in my opinion Goodyears have more rubber on them. Thread is bit deeper vs contis imo. Everything else remains to be seen.

Goodyear efficient grip performance for me too, great tyre, excellent in the wet & dry, and actually improved my mpg . 

Come top in tyre comparison with auto express a few years back. 

I  replaced all 4 tyres and bought a slightly thinner tyre, 205 s instead of 215 , much cheaper than 215s . 

The new mk3.5 also use 205s before anybody shoots me down, so it an approved size. 

Thanks for the responses - Seems like the Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance is the tyre of choice. Any recommendations on the cheapest supplier?

Try Halfords

I bought some Goodyear efficient grips last week at a great price of £57.99 each fitted and balanced.

I don't think that you will find a better price.

http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HACProductDisplayMobile?storeId=11602&langId=-1&productId=1088868&catalogId=19253&categoryId=276255

46 minutes ago, ZetecMan1 said:

Try Halfords

I bought some Goodyear efficient grips last week at a great price of £57.99 each fitted and balanced.

I don't think that you will find a better price.

http://www.halfordsautocentres.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HACProductDisplayMobile?storeId=11602&langId=-1&productId=1088868&catalogId=19253&categoryId=276255

Thats a good price. If you had a mate that can fit for free then they are cheaper at Camskill otherwise by the time youve paid for a foreigner (£20 i paid for all 4 wheels) you might as well stick with those from Halfords. Can you use the forum 15% discount card on top of that too?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s291p109509/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_EfficientGrip_Performance_Goodyear_Efficient_Grip_Performance_-_205_55_R16_91V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_B_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_1_Noise%3A_68dB

Thanks again for all the replies - I will check Halfords as it's just round the corner. Just to confirm that 205's will be ok rather than the 215's?

Like I say I will get both front tyres replaced at the same time and leave the back Michelins on.

I've just had two Avon ZR7's put on the front of my Focus which seem to be an excellent tyre. 

Yep, definitely 205s will be fine, the mk3.5 uses that size, and it also states in the handbook that size too. 

20 minutes ago, drsdriver said:

Yep, definitely 205s will be fine, the mk3.5 uses that size, and it also states in the handbook that size too. 

Great, that's what I will go for. What's the 15% Halfords discount? Always look for codes / coupons before I buy anything!

That is a normal price.

The 15% discount cannot be used at Halfords auto centres.

Still a very good price 

True that you get 15% off at Halfords when you have Premium membership but unfortunately cannot be used in the auto centre.

Ford Owners Club Premium Members now receive their very own exclusive Halfords Discount Card allowing you to get 15% off in store!     This is on top of any other promotions the store may be running. Simply present your discount card at the checkout before you pay to have your discount applied.    

• Excludes bikes but you will still receive a 10% discount on bikes.
  • Cannot be used online or at Halfords Autocentres.
  • Discount cannot be exchanged for cash or gift vouchers.
  • Cannot be used in conjunction with Halfords gift vouchers, gift cards or Halfords Cycle2Work scheme.

Try Oponeo for Tyres. Were the best price for me last year when shopping for Winter boots for my Wife's iX35

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club