Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Double Din Aftermarket Stereo Advice needed!

3ll

Hi guys, I have recently bought my 2005 Focus Estate and I want to upgrade the head unit. 

It is a pre facelift dash as the Sony head unit I have is square, not oval shaped. 

$_1.JPG

I am looking at getting an Android styled head unit, but this has raised a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with. 

1: If I take the square Sony head unit out and want to fit a like for like replacement is this a standard double din? 

2: Does the pre facelift variation of the focus use a "canbus" 

3: I have seen this stereo which I like the look of, its not main brand I know but im not to bothered about that - what concerns me is that it wont fit, I have been told the head unit is double din size 179(W) x 100(H) - will this fit on my dash or will it be to big / small ? - Will I need anything else or should it bolt straight in! 

image.jpgimage.jpg

I really hope someone can help with this, I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find a clear answer! 

Many thanks, 

Ell.

• Like 1

Your standard radio is not a true double din size.
You can either fit a mounting frame to adapt the size or just purchase a replacement double din fascia.
For an aftermarket radio you need the correct loom patch leads to match the replacement radio and to ensure it includes the interface to work with the steering column remote controls.

Sent from my SM-G930F

There is also a possibility to get android head unit that has ford fascia.

https://www.carjoying.com/new-android-car-radio/quad-core-ford-android-car-radio.html

In xda forums people are talking that those new 2GB intel cpu Chinese android units are quite OK (not without their flaws). Good thing would be that something like that looks factory but you have the full android/gps hands free stuff. Switching to oval fascia is easy in case you want the updated look. Here in focus guides section is a guide from local inmate of how to switch from mk2 stereo to mk2,5 stereo. He has needed parts listed there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Your standard radio is not a true double din size.
You can either fit a mounting frame to adapt the size or just purchase a replacement double din fascia.
For an aftermarket radio you need the correct loom patch leads to match the replacement radio and to ensure it includes the interface to work with the steering column remote controls.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Ah gotcha, I suspected I may have to use some ghastly mounting frame to sort the issue, but never thought of an aftermarket face plate. The latter option may work the best for me tbh as I intend to wrap the dash in 3M carbon as well! 

Thanks for the guidance and the links, I think I will go down this route more than likely! 

• 1 month later...

Quick follow up question on this..

i have got the square style stereo but have just bought the facelift style stereo which is round, I have got some black adaptors that clip into the dash to mount this new stereo however I'm not sure of the process of this, does anyone have any advice or guidance on this??? Or have you done a similar install?? 

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 1:59 AM, 3ll said:

Hi guys, I have recently bought my 2005 Focus Estate and I want to upgrade the head unit. 

It is a pre facelift dash as the Sony head unit I have is square, not oval shaped. 

$_1.JPG

I am looking at getting an Android styled head unit, but this has raised a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with. 

1: If I take the square Sony head unit out and want to fit a like for like replacement is this a standard double din? 

2: Does the pre facelift variation of the focus use a "canbus" 

3: I have seen this stereo which I like the look of, its not main brand I know but im not to bothered about that - what concerns me is that it wont fit, I have been told the head unit is double din size 179(W) x 100(H) - will this fit on my dash or will it be to big / small ? - Will I need anything else or should it bolt straight in! 

image.jpgimage.jpg

I really hope someone can help with this, I have searched high and low and cannot seem to find a clear answer! 

Many thanks,

Ell.

Guide to Fitting Aftermarket headunit focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Guide To fitting 10" HD Flip Down Monitor Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5 Click Here

Custom 10" Sub enclosure & Amp panel Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here

Guide Installing Reverse Camera Focus Mk2.5 2008 - 2011Click Here

Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club