Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it worth changing to petrol

Jeff Cooper

On a similiar theme to the prior post, I'm considering swapping my 1.6Tdci Tit with extras for a 1.0 125 petrol - but I haven't driven one to know wether they're any good - comments on that engine would be welcome please

I plan to trade in my diesel Focus against a 1.0 125 petrol next summer anyway.  The ecoboost is a cracking engine and driven carefully over 50 mpg is more than possible going by reports. Was going to get the new car in January but funds won't allow.    

ive been driving the focus 1.0 100hp (chipped 140)for more than 2 years now. 50k , still the same great engine. i got no plans to sell mine any time soon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, iantt said:

ive been driving the focus 1.0 100hp (chipped 140)for more than 2 years now. 50k , still the same great engine. i got no plans to sell mine any time soon.

It does seem better to have a 1.0 engine chipped for £200 than buying a bigger engine which would cost more than that. And you get cheaper road tax and insurance....and better fuel economy. Though a perfectly working mk1 would one day hit the grave, but for me it is a better option to keep it than spend £7000 plus.

The Focus is quite a heavy car so I'm glad I went for the 125ps version of the 1.0 Ecoboost. Also that version can be chipped higher than the 99ps if that's the way you want to go.

I get aroung 45mpg**, checked by brim-to-brim, and the VED is £30. That's what attracted me against competing manufacturers models.

** that's a mix of dual-carriageway and single-carriageway and almost exclusively decent length out-of-town runs. That compares to around 48mpg on our old 1.8TDCi on the same mix of driving.

I once got the diesel up to 64mpg on a long run up to Scotland but never got it over 50mpg on the local runs.

1 hour ago, v530anh said:

It does seem better to have a 1.0 engine chipped for £200 than buying a bigger engine which would cost more than that. And you get cheaper road tax and insurance....and better fuel economy. Though a perfectly working mk1 would one day hit the grave, but for me it is a better option to keep it than spend £7000 plus.

You don't get cheaper insurance once you've added a remap. :sad:  I make this mistake every time lol...  Buy a slow car and end up remapping it, costing more in insurance than the standard higher powered model. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, James said:

I plan to trade in my diesel Focus against a 1.0 125 petrol next summer anyway.  The ecoboost is a cracking engine and driven carefully over 50 mpg is more than possible going by reports. Was going to get the new car in January but funds won't allow.    

Unfortunately you won't see anywhere near that in town. Lucky to make it into the mid-late 30s!

6 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Unfortunately you won't see anywhere near that in town. Lucky to make it into the mid-late 30s!

That's not great. I do mainly country and motorway driving and try to avoid town/ city driving when I can help it. I think the engine would suit me anyway.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club