Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Askmid

Turvey

When my Daughter insured her car it took two weeks to show in that time she was stop twice

If that helps

• Like 1

Well, I was stopped once, 24 hours after buying, insuring and taxing mine, never since however. 

He pulled me over for not having tax, insurance and MOT, fortunately I had proof of all 3.

I checked Askmid while he was checking me out and it hadn't updated, checked afterwards and it had (weirdly). 

In other words I'd bank on it being at least 24 hours behind, possibly more depending on how quick your insurance company is at updating their end.

ASKMID does take a while to update as it takes up to 7 days for DVLA to update their database.

• 4 weeks later...

OK folks, here's the reason I asked this question and would like your honest opinion.

A couple of months ago a neighbour changed her number plate to a 'private' number. Now this number is showing up on the gov.uk website as being MOTd and taxed but when I check on askmid.com it's still showing as uninsured! As an aside, and I have mentioned her here before, her driving leaves a LOT to be desired and she seems unsure on what speed limits are! 

So the question is, do I put up and shut up or do I put an anonymous call in?  

If you suspect she is driving without insurance, and she is a dangerous driver, then it is your duty (in my opinion) to report it. 

• Like 2

I would report the matter if I was in the same position. If she has insurance and is stopped by the Police then there won't be any harm to anybody, if she's truly uninsured and gets stopped then it serves her right.

Why the hell should people get away with driving uninsured when the rest of us pay!

• Like 1

If she is clearly a dangerous driver, and a careless/selfish one with attitude also, dob her in, and do others a favour!

If it were say the nice elderly lady living across the road, I would politely remind her, and possibly even help her renew it, if she needed the help.

Easy decision if you ask me. :smile:

19 minutes ago, Zico said:

I would report the matter if I was in the same position. If she has insurance and is stopped by the Police then there won't be any harm to anybody, if she's truly uninsured and gets stopped then it serves her right.

Why the hell should people get away with driving uninsured when the rest of us pay!

Damn right!

4 minutes ago, Incontro said:

If she is clearly a dangerous driver, and a careless/selfish one with attitude also, dob her in, and do others a favour!

If it were say the nice elderly lady living across the road, I would politely remind her, and possibly even help her renew it, if she needed the help.

Easy decision if you ask me. :smile:

I couldn't agree more.  Some people deserve help, others don't.  Simple as that.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Turvey said:

do I put up and shut up or do I put an anonymous call in?

Driving without 3rd party insurance is very serious. If someone like that has an accident, then if the damage comes to more than a court determines they can afford, the innocent party will not get full compensation, possibly none at all. They might get some from their own insurer, but that could be problematic and expensive, and for personal injuries, may not exist. Even a little bump can cause very expensive damage or long term personal injury.

But have you been able to check the previous reg no. It could be that she has not bothered to inform her insurer of the change. I suspect in that case, an insurer would refuse 1st party (own damage) claims, but the 3rd party section is covered by legal rules, and hopefully they would not be able to wriggle out so easily, as the insurance is a contract between the company & the person, not the car.

13 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Driving without 3rd party insurance is very serious. If someone like that has an accident, then if the damage comes to more than a court determines they can afford, the innocent party will not get full compensation, possibly none at all. They might get some from their own insurer, but that could be problematic and expensive, and for personal injuries, may not exist. Even a little bump can cause very expensive damage or long term personal injury.

But have you been able to check the previous reg no. It could be that she has not bothered to inform her insurer of the change. I suspect in that case, an insurer would refuse 1st party (own damage) claims, but the 3rd party section is covered by legal rules, and hopefully they would not be able to wriggle out so easily, as the insurance is a contract between the company & the person, not the car.

Good point, I'd check that. 

Still, the fact remains that if the registration number has changed the vehicle will not be covered if the insurance pertains to the old one. 

4 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have thought that myself, but unfortunately I don't know the previous numberplate. I only checked because I was being nosey after she got her new number. 

She is legally required to change reg details with her insurers or else the policy is void.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Being hit by an uninsured driver is probably one of the most stressful things that I have ever had to deal with. The MIB do go some way to helping but it's not easy. My parents were hit by an uninsured driver and there was unfortunately a fatality in the other car and they were both severely injured (I had to make decisions about their treatment while they were incapacitated due to injury) so I had to deal with Police, solicitors, insurance and press. Anyway, my point is that if I could stop someone else potentially going through the stresses of being hit by an uninsured driver I would do. I think it's everyone's responsibility to act on such things, I'm not saying we should all become grasses but let's all look out for the law abiding people among us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Being hit by an uninsured driver is probably one of the most stressful things that I have ever had to deal with. The MIB do go some way to helping but it's not easy. My parents were hit by an uninsured driver and there was unfortunately a fatality in the other car and they were both severely injured (I had to make decisions about their treatment while they were incapacitated due to injury) so I had to deal with Police, solicitors, insurance and press. Anyway, my point is that if I could stop someone else potentially going through the stresses of being hit by an uninsured driver I would do. I think it's everyone's responsibility to act on such things, I'm not saying we should all become grasses but let's all look out for the law abiding people among us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree

Maybe she is a FOC member and seen your post.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club