Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fit 2015 tocuhscreen to 2012 pre sync car

Jeff Cooper

Ok, this is probably a bit of a crazy idea, but I'm thinking that physically a 2015 fascia and gearstick / centre console will probably fit straight to the pre-facelift body and dash; so to then upgrade to the sync2 touchscreen system will need the sync module installing (hopefully with a new 2015 steering wheel), plus the unit itself etc. Has anyone even started / investigated this idea themselves ?

Not me, but i have seen already 2 guys in different European Ford forum with this MOD. So yes, it is definitely possible.

But do not be crazy for doing the SYNC 2 upgrade. Rather invest more into SYNC 3 module.

21 hours ago, Jeff Cooper said:

Ok, this is probably a bit of a crazy idea, but I'm thinking that physically a 2015 fascia and gearstick / centre console will probably fit straight to the pre-facelift body and dash; so to then upgrade to the sync2 touchscreen system will need the sync module installing (hopefully with a new 2015 steering wheel), plus the unit itself etc. Has anyone even started / investigated this idea themselves ?

I started looking at this as I too wanted SYNC 3 (just have Ford Audio)

Not saying it isn't possible, but once I'd researched all the many different parts that I would need I didn't deem it worth it in the end.  It seemed like a lot of hard work and probably beyond my personal electrical/mechanical skills.

Jimmwx - can I ask you to give a bit of a list of what extra parts you found out were necessary please?

15 hours ago, Jeff Cooper said:

Jimmwx - can I ask you to give a bit of a list of what extra parts you found out were necessary please?

Sorry never made an exact list in the end as I decided it was too much effort/above my ability.

I have seen more cars with SYNC 1 installed, mine just has the Ford Audio system which was pre sync 1 for some reason, which is strange as it's a mid 2012 model.

But as far as I know it is not just as simple as switching one to the other.  I seem to remember;

You would need an entire unit including radio etc as it is a larger screen which was working.

It would need to be programmed to the car, which I am not sure is even possible, including using a connector to programme it to the ECU and electronics (I personally have nothing like enough experience to even attempt this)

A new steering wheel with the right controls, not sure you could retrofit this to a 2012 model (could be wrong :) )

Adaption Cables and the knowledge of re-wiring the unit to the car.

Programming ability to enable the features within the car post installation.

Sorry that this is not a step by step list, hopefully someone with more experience might be able to provide one.

In a nutshell, probably not worth the effort unless you really, really want it.

Happy to be proved wrong though :-)

Good luck. You'll need a new APIM, ACM, the touch screen its self, possibly a new BCM too. That's even if it will work with the exisiting canbus system on the model in the first place. Those are just some of the extras you're going to need to look at.

I don't like to be defeated, but it looks like I have been !!!

• 2 weeks later...

As a 2015 TitX driver, with 10speaker upgrade. I wouldn't bother with the upgrade to be honest.

The 2014 Tit with 9 speaker Sony DAB unit sounded better and wasn't that much of a lower spec.

While touchscreen seems like a nice thing to have . The Sync 2 is a pressure screen rather than capacitive. Anyone who has used a tablet or phone in the last 5 years would be be annoyed by the poor interface. The only real upside is it looks better than a Merc or Audi with their Carbuncle dashs.

• Like 1

Definitely not going to bother now then !! - thanks for all the replys as well though guys (and gals?)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club