Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Misfire after 15-20 minutes 1.8 Zetec

mixup

Odd issue I have is that the car starts and runs from cold perfectly but when really warm on a journey it starts to miss when pushed, particularly up hill and in too high a gear.

It misses but then clears and then repeats the issue a few minutes later.

Its been in the garage and checked with no issue found, they have been worse than useless and don't believe there is an issue (I guess as it take quite a while to show the symptoms).

Any ideas?

Have a look down your plug wells, look for water and oil leaks :)

and check around the engine bay, near the aux belt, there was a fault with Ford petrols for while with the loom rubbing against the belt.

Piggy :)

Have a look down your plug wells, look for water and oil leaks :)

and check around the engine bay, near the aux belt, there was a fault with Ford petrols for while with the loom rubbing against the belt.

Piggy :)

Thanks, forgive my ignorance but is there a decent picture on the web of the 1800 engine so I can check I am in the right areas?

Plug wells, I am assuming you mean take off the leads and check for water and oil around the plugs?

Which side is the aux belt? And what does the loom look like?

Sorry :rolleyes:

PS I assume Coil Packs would give different symptoms?

Thanks, forgive my ignorance but is there a decent picture on the web of the 1800 engine so I can check I am in the right areas?

Plug wells, I am assuming you mean take off the leads and check for water and oil around the plugs?

Which side is the aux belt? And what does the loom look like?

Sorry :rolleyes:

maybe, have a search!

yeah, HT leads off, hava a good look in ther.

Aux belt will be to the left as you look at it, loom is all the wiring wrapped n a shroud :)

maybe, have a search!

yeah, HT leads off, hava a good look in ther.

Aux belt will be to the left as you look at it, loom is all the wiring wrapped n a shroud :)

Cheers will have a look tomorrow.

What's annoyed me is that the car has warranty cover but the garage I usually use don't appear to want to waste their time in case they don't get paid.

The coil pack symptoms I can find on here all appear to give error codes when checked and mine doesn't.

The only code found was due to the throttle pedal and then that went away almost immediately.

Checkthe contenuety of the ht leads using a multimeter set it to ohms and stick each probe in each end of the ht lead an wigle the ht lead round u should get roughly 0 but it can flux slightly but if it goes to high there a fault with the ht lead wich can cause misfire under load don't take all leads of at onc as you may not remember the order and then there will b a wrong firing order fault 2

Checkthe contenuety of the ht leads using a multimeter set it to ohms and stick each probe in each end of the ht lead an wigle the ht lead round u should get roughly 0 but it can flux slightly but if it goes to high there a fault with the ht lead wich can cause misfire under load don't take all leads of at onc as you may not remember the order and then there will b a wrong firing order fault 2

Thanks, so this kind of issue should only show when warm?

I don't have a multimeter, so would it be worth just changing all the leads?

Doing one by one so I don't get the order wrong?

damaged wiring or faulty HT lead problems would be evident from the second you started the car.

i think you have got a sensor problem somewhere.

while you have the HT leads off it may be a good time to pull the plugs out and have a look at them. to do this you will need a 10mm spark plug socket (16mm euro size) why do they make spark plug sockets so complicated...

damaged wiring or faulty HT lead problems would be evident from the second you started the car.

i think you have got a sensor problem somewhere.

while you have the HT leads off it may be a good time to pull the plugs out and have a look at them. to do this you will need a 10mm spark plug socket (16mm euro size) why do they make spark plug sockets so complicated...

Cheers, could it be the throttle position sensor, and if so can I replace that myself?

Cheers, could it be the throttle position sensor, and if so can I replace that myself?

it could be but on the other hand it could be one of 50 sensors really. if it did turn out to be the TPS then yes its a very simple job to replace. i think its only held on with 2 small torx headed bolts.

read in one of your other posts about the throttle pedal? 'The only code found was due to the throttle pedal and then that went away almost immediately.' could you shed some more light on that?

also do you still need a picture or two of the 1800 to help pin point things?

Ht lead do get effected by engine load if they are damge as you require a larger voltage/ amp spark to ignite the fuel under pressure and with a faulty ht lead there will not produce a sting enough sparkto ignite

it could be but on the other hand it could be one of 50 sensors really. if it did turn out to be the TPS then yes its a very simple job to replace. i think its only held on with 2 small torx headed bolts.

read in one of your other posts about the throttle pedal? 'The only code found was due to the throttle pedal and then that went away almost immediately.' could you shed some more light on that?

also do you still need a picture or two of the 1800 to help pin point things?

Yes if you have a picture that would help, else I guess I need a Haynes.

In terms of the throttle, the engine management light has come on once, the garage checked this and could only find an error related to the accelerator/throttle but as it had cleared could not confirm whether there was actually an issue or not. I assume its related, but really not sure.

Thanks again.

Yes if you have a picture that would help, else I guess I need a Haynes.

In terms of the throttle, the engine management light has come on once, the garage checked this and could only find an error related to the accelerator/throttle but as it had cleared could not confirm whether there was actually an issue or not. I assume its related, but really not sure.

Thanks again.

sounds like the coil pack to me as the heat from the engine builds it misfires apparently its common im currently devising a heat shield to fit round the coilpack

sounds like the coil pack to me as the heat from the engine builds it misfires apparently its common im currently devising a heat shield to fit round the coilpack

also my exact thought at the moment, as the coil pack heats up its sort of 'breaking up' not the first car ive heard this happen too.

also my exact thought at the moment, as the coil pack heats up its sort of 'breaking up' not the first car ive heard this happen too.

a few hyundais had the same issue with the coil pack taking so much heat from the engine i have a stainless steel heatshiled im trying to modify so it will sit around the coil pack protecting it a little

a few hyundais had the same issue with the coil pack taking so much heat from the engine i have a stainless steel heatshiled im trying to modify so it will sit around the coil pack protecting it a little

be interesting to see how that works mate, you will need to post up some pics when you get it fitted?