Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive Belt replacement

Albert27

Hi guys,  I see in haynes that it recommends inspecting/replacing the auxiliary drive belt around 100,000.  Mines at 138,000.  Went out today and had a look at the parts of it I could see from under the bonnet and although I couldn't see any cracks it looks quite shiny/glazed.  Worth replacing?

Is it literally just the belt that you replace or do you replace the tensioner or anything else with it?

Thanks in advance.

I'm using my phone so cannot see what car/year or engine you have. I'll take a stab it's a focus since its in focus section though lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I'm using my phone so cannot see what car/year or engine you have. I'll take a stab it's a focus since its in focus section though lol.

What phone do you have lol? Im using my phone and can see he has a 2008 Focus 1.6 TDCi, is from Worcestershire and does 15001-20000 miles per year and confusingly his name is David and not Albert as you would think!:laugh:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, WES180 said:

What phone do you have lol? Im using my phone and can see he has a 2008 Focus 1.6 TDCi, is from Worcestershire and does 15001-20000 miles per year and confusingly his name is David and not Albert as you would think!:laugh:

Scary what people can find out about you on the net these days :biggrin: 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Scary what people can find out about you on the net these days :biggrin: 

Its only what you put on your profile!:laugh:Anyway, hopefully someone will help you out shortly. If it has a tensioner then i would replace that along with the belt to be on the safe side.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, WES180 said:

I could find the information if I really wanted to but it is easier if someone wants to post it up lol

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I could find the information if I really wanted to but it is easier if someone wants to post it up lol

Be honest now, youre still on one of these beauties aren't you!:laugh:

Screenshot_20161220-175305.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WES180 said:

Be honest now, youre still on one of these beauties aren't you!:laugh:

Screenshot_20161220-175305.png

Pretty much lol. Everytime a new model of phone comes out that's how I feel lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Am I correct in saying your engine timing belt interval is 125,000 miles? in which case the auxiliary belt is usually done at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Am I correct in saying your engine timing belt interval is 125,000 miles? in which case the auxiliary belt is usually done at the same time. 

That's right!

24 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

That's right!

Has it been done or does it still need to be done? 

I had it done 3 years ago and intend to get it changed again in 6 months as it will have been 60k since it was last changed. Haynes says 62500 as they reckon Ford interval is way out.  Plus I do a lot of start stop driving.  I'd love to do the timing belt myself but I'm not confident enough with my basic knowledge so will take it to the garage for that but the drive belt is more in my skill level and I want as much practice working on the car as I can get!

On a slightly different note, I bought a new car book this week as thick as the 'understanding women manual' (Hillier's Fundamentals of vehicle tech) to boost my theory.  Judging by the number of pages, If i manage to get through it all might I might rebrand myself as just "Einstein" and drop the Albert :biggrin: I think that's pretty optimistic though.

16 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Has it been done or does it still need to be done? 

I had it done 3 years ago and intend to get it changed again in 6 months as it will have been 60k since it was last changed. Haynes says 62500 as they reckon Ford interval is way out.  Plus I do a lot of start stop driving.  I'd love to do the timing belt myself but I'm not confident enough with my basic knowledge so will take it to the garage for that but the drive belt is more in my skill level and I want as much practice working on the car as I can get!

On a slightly different note, I bought a new car book this week as thick as the 'understanding women manual' (Hillier's Fundamentals of vehicle tech) to boost my theory.  Judging by the number of pages, If i manage to get through it all might I might rebrand myself as just "Einstein" and drop the Albert :biggrin: I think that's pretty optimistic though.

• Like 1

I'll leave the interval mileage for you to decide but personally, I'd have the garage to fit a new drive belt too, simply for the fact they'll need to remove the old one anyway. 

But if you do intend to do it yourself then fair enough. 

4 minutes ago, stef123 said:

I'll leave the interval mileage for you to decide but personally, I'd have the garage to fit a new drive belt too, simply for the fact they'll need to remove the old one anyway. 

But if you do intend to do it yourself then fair enough. 

Do they remove it just to get access to the timing belt?  If i did the drive belt myself, i take it the garage would just put my new drive belt back on i.e they wouldn't replace it again as part of doing the timing belt?  

Thanks for the info!

Yep it has to be removed to do the timing belt. Depending on how they price the job up it may include the belt otherwise you may be asked to add it on as extra.

you would be best to let them know if you have done it or want it done either way. 

3 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Yep it has to be removed to do the timing belt. Depending on how they price the job up it may include the belt otherwise you may be asked to add it on as extra.

you would be best to let them know if you have done it or want it done either way. 

Got ya!

2 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Got ya!

It will be the cost of the belt only, there is no extra labour as it has to be removed anyway. 

• Like 1

aux belt is easy to do on a 1.6tdci. there is a special tool to turn tensioner, but an open ended spanner , think 14mm or15mm, and a 5mm dowel is required. turn tensioner with spanner and insert dowl to keep it locked in place . but as stef says, just get the garage to do it for you if your getting timing belt done.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iantt said:

aux belt is easy to do on a 1.6tdci. there is a special tool to turn tensioner, but an open ended spanner , think 14mm or15mm, and a 5mm dowel is required. turn tensioner with spanner and insert dowl to keep it locked in place . but as stef says, just get the garage to do it for you if your getting timing belt done.

Thanks for that Ian.  When you say to keep the tensioner in place, is that so i can lift the belt on and off easily?  Could one manage without a dowel?

You can do it without a dowel but it's quite perilous...  Trying to refit the belt with one hand while trying not to let the spanner slip off and smash your hand on something isn't easy.  :laugh: 

• Like 2