Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ham Radio

Jethro_Tull

Greetings.  I've just downsized into a Fusion 3 climate. It's a nice car, very clean, low mileage.

I'm wondering where to mount my amateur radio in my Fusion.  Are there any hams (or even CB'ers) on here?  If so, where did you mount your rig, and how did you go about mounting an antenna?

It's usually easier to mount the rig under the glovebox (more space for cables and psu's).

Antenna is best placed centrally on the roof for best propagation, yyou could run the cable through the roof via a sealed grommet but that will affect resale value, best off putting it through a rear door seal.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The antenna would be best in the centre of the roof as that fives then most even radiation pattern.  Alas, I don't want to drill a hole through the centre of the roof and would like to avoid using a mag mount.

I'm thinking of using a hatch mount and feeding the coax down behind one of the rear lights and into the cabin there, so many holes will be hidden.

I've decided the rigs will go in then glovebox of out of sight, and the contents of the glovebox will go in the cubby built into the passenger seat base.

I'm probably trying to tell my Granny how to suck eggs here as you may already know this as you are a HAM

As for Antennas depend on if you are running HF or VHF.I found that running vhf a mag mount on the roof is as good as you need .Even for some multiband antennas you can use a three magnet mount cable goes through door seal for a large VHF or a smaller mount for a smaller one. As for HF then make sure ALL opening doors boot and bonnet are earth bonded by bolting on a good earth strap on all. And I mean good (paint scraped off to metal to work at its best. Then mount your HF antenna on the tow bar with a tow bar fitting (easy to get from any HAM Radio shop ).You may want to consider an electronically tuned antenna for HF still mounted  on the tow bar that way you can get all  HF bands running and if lucky 4mtrs too. Bonding is the word though  even bond your tow bar if you mount there. VHF easy mag mount and it's done. This in my experience works well and many of my Ham friend use this method. As where to fit your rig well that's how long a piece of string answer as people fit them anywhere you can think of even in the boot and remote control them I cant think of an easy answer to that one. A good thing for you to do is join you local Radio Ham club you will get plenty of help form like minded people who have done just what you need.

Steve M1GIZ

Excellent!  Nice to see another radio nut on the forum ;)

I've had a mag mount become detached and smash two windows.  Apart from the damage, it frit the life out of me and I nearly crashed with surprise.  Hence wanting to avoid mag mounts if at all possible.

I'm a full ticket holder G class ham and have under and post grad parchments in physics, so electrically I'm quite happy.  I'm just enquiring if any members have already come up with antenna mounting solutions themselves for the Fusion that I could copy.  I'd be happy to sacrifice a little RF efficiency for a solid mount, that did little or minimal damage to the car.  that said, if there is no other option ill get a 3 magnet mag mount, but that's my least preferred option.

24 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

Excellent!  Nice to see another radio nut on the forum ;)

I've had a mag mount become detached and smash two windows.  Apart from the damage, it frit the life out of me and I nearly crashed with surprise.  Hence wanting to avoid mag mounts if at all possible.

I'm a full ticket holder G class ham and have under and post grad parchments in physics, so electrically I'm quite happy.  I'm just enquiring if any members have already come up with antenna mounting solutions themselves for the Fusion that I could copy.  I'd be happy to sacrifice a little RF efficiency for a solid mount, that did little or minimal damage to the car.  that said, if there is no other option ill get a 3 magnet mag mount, but that's my least preferred option.

Yes I found the big three to work o.k but as you said a solid mount is best wouldn't like to drill holes on my car though

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going for an edge/lip mount on the tailgate.  in RF terms not to most efficient, but it will leave the car undamaged once removed.  I can't bring myself to risk mag mounts again, even the three footed ones.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I guess part of it will depend on what kit you are installing.

I presently only use a cheap Chinese 2m/70cm mobile in the '56 Fusion, which sits in the tray just ahead of the gear lever.

Antenna is mounted on tailgate, again not ideal, but convenient as cable runs up toward hinge then through tailgate seal. Antenna is dual band 1/4 wave on 2m. Could probably get away with a half wave, but I like the "stealth" look :)

Half tempted to install FT-857D with remote head instead, with a second tailgate mount, but only use HF when stationary - don't think there are any edge type mounts that will stand weight / windage.

Graham   G4FUJ

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club