Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Tdci Focus Timing Advice Required

bigstu09

Hi All,

Originally posted in wrong section.

Need some advice as to what the timing set-up is on a 2005 (55) Ford Focus 1.8Tdci. Is it a Timing Belt & Timing Chain set-up or is it a Timing Belt & Wet Belt - seem to get a lot of conflicting information from part suppliers.

Wanting to change both Timing along with Water Pump and Auxiliary Belt, Have all the tools required along with timing locking kit. Have done timing on other makes of cars in past.

Anyone got idea how hard it is to change lower belt/chain as I think I better do both as do not know cars history and is nearly at 160,000 on the clock.

Thanks

5 hours ago, bigstu09 said:

how hard it is to change lower belt/chain

The 1.8TDCI had a lower chain up to about 2007/8. Then it changed to a lower belt (wetbelt).

(Repeated for reference)

If I recall from the last time I looked at Haynes (I am not at home at the moment), there is quite a bit of extra work to remove the front cover & change the chain. But none of it is very difficult. And not a great deal compared to the timing belt change.

At garage rates, it would be a lot more expensive, but for DIY, just a few more hours, plus parts if needed.

3 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The 1.8TDCI had a lower chain up to about 2007/8. Then it changed to a lower belt (wetbelt).

(Repeated for reference)

If I recall from the last time I looked at Haynes (I am not at home at the moment), there is quite a bit of extra work to remove the front cover & change the chain. But none of it is very difficult. And not a great deal compared to the timing belt change.

At garage rates, it would be a lot more expensive, but for DIY, just a few more hours, plus parts if needed.

Thanks for that. Got a weeks holiday coming up will have a bash at it then.

May even have a go at making a guide for it.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2016 at 5:24 AM, bigstu09 said:

Got a weeks holiday coming up will have a bash at it then.

I have just had another look at Haynes.  There are a couple of points from that:

It says the oil pump has to be removed, and this may need another special tool to align it on re-fitting, though it can be improvised.

It places the drive chain removal in the "engine out of car" section. There is rather limited clearance & visibility with the engine in the car, you would need to look at that.

It quite definitely implies there is not a routine replacement requirement, saying "seek the advice of an engineering works before concluding renewal is necessary."

Haynes is not a definitive standard, and is often a bit in-accurate. But judging by the photos, it is written from first hand experience, so is not to be dismissed entirely. It should be fairly easy to inspect the chain & tensioners (and the oil pump perhaps) once the belt & cover is off, then make a decision on that, if time allows.

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

I have just had another look at Haynes.  There are a couple of points from that:

It says the oil pump has to be removed, and this may need another special tool to align it on re-fitting, though it can be improvised.

It places the drive chain removal in the "engine out of car" section. There is rather limited clearance & visibility with the engine in the car, you would need to look at that.

It quite definitely implies there is not a routine replacement requirement, saying "seek the advice of an engineering works before concluding renewal is necessary."

Haynes is not a definitive standard, and is often a bit in-accurate. But judging by the photos, it is written from first hand experience, so is not to be dismissed entirely. It should be fairly easy to inspect the chain & tensioners (and the oil pump perhaps) once the belt & cover is off, then make a decision on that, if time allows.

Might have to look into replacing chain a bit more then, don't really want to pull engine out but at same time I am a little concerned with car pushing on for the 160,000 mile mark and Ford having changing interval for both at 100,000 that I may just be asking for trouble.

If you bring the car to Fife i'll help with removing the engine lol 

• Like 1

just over 3.5 hrs at a garage to do the chain or inner belt.(inc the outer belt) have known belts break but not chains. 

3 hours ago, bigstu09 said:

Ford having changing interval for both at 100,000

I could be wrong (not the first time!), but I have a suspicion that Ford updated the service procedure when they introduced the lower belt, but did not differentiate between the two.

This could be:

a) To "avoid confusion"

b) Because chains had been known to fail, though that seems very rare.

c) They did not want to raise any suspicion that they had reduced long term reliability by changing to the quieter & more efficient (maybe) belt.

It would be quite unusual for Haynes to miss out on a major service step like that if it was in the Ford schedule when written (published in 2009).

Ian's 3.5 hours sounds like it is "in car", but I bet it's a bit fiddly, unless you are familiar with the job!

I had my belt replaced in 2011, 30k miles ago. The garage (independent) did not suggest the chain to be done, I am now on 155k, but am not planning to change the chain. If that does go, I think it will be "buy another car" time! In the somewhat unlikely event of the car making it to the next belt change time, I might consider it.

It is different if you are doing it yourself over a week, so it is just the parts cost. Lets see if Ian or Stefan or someone else responds to my "it's a bit fiddly" comment!

It's not one I'm familiar with Peter so it'll be up to Ian to comment on how fiddly.

if someone wants to donate one I'll let you know lol. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club