Michael P

Got into the car after work

"how did it go dad?"

"it passed...eventually"

it needed:

new brake discs, new brake pads, new tyres, new fluids and new bulbs

£420.

thats four hundred, and twenty pounds

not happy! not happy at all. im about to go and get £120 out the cash machine to pay my dad back

boo fecking hiss!

Terrible news :( At least it will be all safe and lovely when you come to drive it! Was it new brakes and tyress all round or just the fronts??

Just be careful with those new brakes mate!!!

You don't want to fly out the windscreen do you??

Seriously tho....be careful til they've bedded in....I speak from experience when the brake pads were changed on our little old Astra and they were REALLY fierce for a while..

just the fronts, im not happy! i've just gone and got another £120 out, now i have £15 to last me a month!

just the fronts, im not happy! i've just gone and got another £120 out, now i have £15 to last me a month!

£15!! That is really not going to last you very long... boooo :(

£15!! That is really not going to last you very long... boooo :(

the worst thing is the mac mini....:( :( :(

the joys of owning a car, like my dad told me, if youve got a car, you never have money in your pocket

the joys of owning a car, like my dad told me, if youve got a car, you never have money in your pocket

i know! the only reason why i'm annoyed is because i really wasn't expecting it. my dad has not noticed the car miss a beat and the last mot passed with no advisories.

boo boo boo boo boo

my mk4 failed the other week, needed new front coil spring cos i'd cracked it, new rear bushes and a couple of other little bits = £250. when i had my front tyres done a while ago it came to £90 fitted which i thought was reasonable.....

I feel your pain. I had a MOT a coupe of months ago on my Peugeot 106, with the outcome very similar to yours (4 new tyres, front brake discs and pads, oil/fluid changes). It came to £426. Wasn't a good month. :(

My experience with new brakes is very different though. They were useless for the first week or so. I had to apply them about twice as far away as I normally would. They certainly were never more fierce than the old ones...

My experience with new brakes is very different though. They were useless for the first week or so. I had to apply them about twice as far away as I normally would. They certainly were never more fierce than the old ones...

Different toys for different boys I s'pose mate.

I found the brakes on our new Fez very fierce when we first got the car, cos they were so light compared to my old Astra.

Even now, six weeks on I sometimes forget and nearly hit my head on the windscreen!! LOL

Different toys for different boys I s'pose mate.

I found the brakes on our new Fez very fierce when we first got the car, cos they were so light compared to my old Astra.

Even now, six weeks on I sometimes forget and nearly hit my head on the windscreen!! LOL

totally agree on that, a few weeks ago i was moving my girlfriends new seat ibiza off the drive and applied the usual amount of mk4 fiesta brake and no lie i actually nutted the top the sun visor (granted i didn't move the seat back).

sometimes it can take a while to "bed in" new pads though.

haha. out of interest Silent Shark where did you get yours done?

haha. out of interest Silent Shark where did you get yours done?

D&D Tyres in Nantwich, Cheshire. Local to me and recommended by my colleagues. They even gave the car a quick valet for free :) .

To be fair, the brakes on my car are awful anyway. The first thing I have to get used to when I drive my parents Focus is the brakes.

ah right. im getting over it now, i know the car is in full working order now which is a nice feeling.

i need to clean my car, its dirty but i have ran out of clay :(

What did they charge for brakes and pads? Sounds awfully expensive to me ...

erm...£80 for the disks and i think £30 for the pads? its probably far too much and i was going to get it done by a friend but they couldn't do it in time so i had to pay over the odds. i know that kwik fit are not renowned for their cheap prices!

but its done now and there isn't much i can do about it! :(

erm...£80 for the disks and i think £30 for the pads? its probably far too much and i was going to get it done by a friend but they couldn't do it in time so i had to pay over the odds. i know that kwik fit are not renowned for their cheap prices!

but its done now and there isn't much i can do about it! :(

Kwick fit rip you off and there work is crap i would'nt even give then a Shell of a car to work on :lol:

The car is worth less than that

thats the worst thing!

fortunately the car was given to me by my mums friend who wanted to get rid of them so this is the first i've had to spend on the car.

Christ, and what for the tyres? That's a joke - don't you have 14 days to put the car right before a re-test? Absolute daylight robbery.

It costs £30 for a Mintex brake box (2x discs and 4x pads) for Focus for heaven's sake! Even my old ST170, I got 4x discs and 8x pads for £110 ... !

Fair enough if you've shelled nothing out, but I'd be pretty naffed off with those figures. My MKIV cost me a back box, new discs and pads and oil changes over four years. Nothing else broke on it - good car!