Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fan stuck on #4 (2013 plate)

Apprentice dragon slayer

Hi,

The air con / heater / cooler fan on my 2013 plate Fiesta only works on number 4 all of a sudden. No other numbers work.

Anyone else had this experience? Anyone found any helpful solutions? 

Thanks a lot,

Will

copied from another post I answered before:

I had this problem on my focus a few times. I found that I did not need a complete new resistor pack. what was failing was the thermal fuse soldered onto the resistor pack (I do not know if fiesta is exactly same construction). a new thermal fuse can be bought cheap on eBay (they are also used in hair straighteners etc). I appreciate the actual resistor packs are quite cheap themselves.     BUT BUT BUT  you need to think about why it blows. After a few times on the Focus I realised it was because the fan motor had got stiff which meant on a low speed setting it was straining to keep going which meant the load though the resistor pack was causing it to get hot, coupled with the low air flow going past the resistor pack to cool it.  Once I had dismantled the fan motor and got it spinning nicely the problem did not occur again.

you may have seen that there have been Zafiras catching alight and it has something to do with the heater fan resistor. I wonder if it because those do not have the thermal fuse or the thermal fuse does not blow soon enough.  Just a thought, I do not actually know the set up on the Zafira.

Anyway it is important that you must not simply bypass the thermal fuse with another bit of wire or a fuse of higher rating or the Fiesta could be alight

will it not be easier to install a whole new heater resister then, isetta? I don't care about the extra expense involved if it means my car won't catch fire 

yes it would be easier. sometimes it's about how quickly you want to do it and where you need to get the parts from. eg. you might have to wait for resistor pack in post or drive a long way, but you might be able to get a thermal fuse locally on same day. But you still need to bear in mind that it might blow again if there is something else causing it to blow eg. stiff heater fan.

• Like 1

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to order a heater and see how I get on 

googled some images for you, remove n/s side trim then remove the 2 screws holding resistor in place.

graphic.jpg

graphic (1).jpg

On my mk6 fiesta I blew two resistor packs within a week. 

Bare in mind that the resistor pack is actually cooled by the air pushed by the fan. Over time, the fan will become stiff. 

When I eventually rescued mine from behind the dashboard, I actually struggled to turn it by hand. After an hour or two of dripping grease into both ends and turning it it was as good as new! 

I managed to talk a free replacement resistor pack out of the seller as I claimed my car wasn't at fault 👀 . Job done, never had any issues and the new owner hasn't either 

Also, isn't the Zafira/vauxhall issue  a wiring issue on the non AC models? 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club