Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP! In the middle of Fuel filter change....

Albert27

Hi guys,

my first fuel filter change on focus 1.6tdci.  Taken old filter out no problems and put in new one.  Reconnected everything except the outlet pipe.  Put the vacum pump from the outlet pipe and pumped until diesel came through bubble free.  Reconnected outlet pipe.  Went to start car and it started. Ran for 15 seconds and it cut out, now won't restart after two attempts.  What should i do?  or what haven't i done?

Thanks!

Try priming it again, did you fill the housing with Diesel before hand if not good chance once it ran through there would've been nothing left for it to run on, so fill the housing fully then prime using the outlet pipe again. If that doesn't work get someone to tug you around the block until your car starts (This worked for my dads 08 Focus)

Thanks Ryan.  When you say fill the housing do you mean the filter itself?  And how do i fill it?

The housing is the round (usually) black case you pulled the old filter out of and the new one in, just fill that up to the brim and put it together again.

And make sure you prime it using the outlet pipe. 

you had the same problem I had on my old 1.6tdci. filter change took minutes. getting car to start after that 15 seconds burst of life took me a very long time, including recharging battery twice. I had no primer pump. I connected a length of clear pipe and sucked fuel through with my mouth.    even though it was clear pipe so I could see inside it, I still got diesel in my mouth. I can't recall exactly where I connected the clear pipe to, the diesel return pipe? 

I think the problem area was air between the filter and the high pressure diesel pump.

I knew it would be difficult which is why I did not do it until the car had done 120k miles, and even then I only did it because the car was cutting out/ going into limp home mode. I feel your pain,  this was a complete b*****d of a job.

Still no joy guys.  The fuel filter is complete - I don't seem to be able to pull the filter itself out of the housing.  Is it a complete unit on the 1.6?  I started a second time after priming a second time and putting fuel down the outlet pipe - again it fired initially but just died then wouldn't restart.  

Have you got any pictures of the fuel filter?

Looks to be a complete unit give this video a watch carefully follow the steps

Keep cranking it over ,will start, there's air between filter and high pressure fuel pump.

• Like 1

y

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Have you got any pictures of the fuel filter?

Looks to be a complete unit give this video a watch carefully follow the steps

Yes it's just like the one in this.  I seem to have done everything except I may not have put enough fuel down the outlet pipe so will try more and have a 4th attempt.  Fingers crossed!  

had two more attempts and still nothing!  How much fuel should i be putting down the outlet pipe after priming?  

with regard to filling the outlet pipe, if you connect a couple of feet of clear pipe to the pipe that goes to the high pressure pump and hold it upright up high and pour some diesel into it, then there may be more chance of the the diesel going all the way down and filling the pipe (due to the two foot height of diesel in the vertical clear pipe and the air bubbling up to the top).

this might be how I did it, I can't remember for sure exactly what I connected to what but I seem to recall at some point holding a length of clear pipe up high like I describe

• Like 1

ok guys so no success today, i guess i must have a bad air lock or i'm doing something wrong although I've done everything as the video said.  Am going to try the getting a push tomorrow with my Dad in the hope i can get the air out.  If there's any advice in doing this please send it my way. 

Have to say that my DIY mechanic career flashed  before my eyes after what seemed like the 50th attempt but I will persevere!  5hours on a fuel filter - depressing!  Thanks for all the help today though......bring on tomorrow!

Get a hypodermic syringe and blunt needle (like the ones you refill ink cartridges with) and after you have pulled air free diesel through the new filter (with the suction bulb on the outlet of the new filter unit) carefully fill to the brim the pipe that goes to the injection pump with clean diesel and smartly reconnect the pipe you have just filled onto the filter outlet trying not to spill too much diesel out of the inlet pipe.

Always get mine going this way within a couple of cranks on the starter. Don't keep cranking the engine on the starter if it doesn't start - the starter isn't designed for prolonged use without a cooling period!

If no joy keep brimming the inlet pipe to the injection pump with the hypodermic and get the pump re- primed. If you have "used up" all the diesel in the rigid metal injection pipes that connect with 14 mm union nuts on the injectors then you might have to dribble some diesel into the top of the injectors to create a bit of suction to get fuel flowing out of the injection pump. They are a PITA to get going if you have used up the remaining diesel left in the injector feed pipes before you changed the original filter. It's this bit of fuel left in the pipes that gets the engine going briefly after you've changed the filter and makes you think you've got away with it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Focusoap said:

Get a hypodermic syringe and blunt needle (like the ones you refill ink cartridges with) and after you have pulled air free diesel through the new filter (with the suction bulb on the outlet of the new filter unit) carefully fill to the brim the pipe that goes to the injection pump with clean diesel and smartly reconnect the pipe you have just filled onto the filter outlet trying not to spill too much diesel out of the inlet pipe.

Always get mine going this way within a couple of cranks on the starter. Don't keep cranking the engine on the starter if it doesn't start - the starter isn't designed for prolonged use without a cooling period!

If no joy keep brimming the inlet pipe to the injection pump with the hypodermic and get the pump re- primed. If you have "used up" all the diesel in the rigid metal injection pipes that connect with 14 mm union nuts on the injectors then you might have to dribble some diesel into the top of the injectors to create a bit of suction to get fuel flowing out of the injection pump. They are a PITA to get going if you have used up the remaining diesel left in the injector feed pipes before you changed the original filter. It's this bit of fuel left in the pipes that gets the engine going briefly after you've changed the filter and makes you think you've got away with it!

Thanks David (great name by the way :wink3:) .  

I notice you mention the inlet pipe to the filter - I've been concentrating filling the outlet pipe and not so much the inlet pipe.  Does the injection pump come before the fuel filter or after? 

Would Easy start help draw enough fuel in and air out to get me going?  

Did you remove any fuse to depressurize the fuel system and if so is it in the correct slot?

4 hours ago, Albert27 said:

I notice you mention the inlet pipe to the filter - I've been concentrating filling the outlet pipe and not so much the inlet pipe.  Does the injection pump come before the fuel filter or after?

The way I got mine going (1.8, but can be just as awkward), was to use a priming bulb or handpump in the line into the filter (the line from the tank), to ram fuel into the filter and though that into the pump. Partially release the pipe on the outlet side of the filter to allow any air to escape, then refit and pump hard before cranking. Keep repeating until it runs.

This is a Ford recommended system, and it reduces the risk of introducing dirt into the pump or injectors, as most of the job is done prior to the filter, so it removes any particles.

The injection pump is after the filter. It is almost completely unable to suck air, so once air reaches it, it must be aided by pumping fuel into it. There is no tank pump.

I definitely do not recommend touching any of the high pressure (rigid metal) pipes or fittings. The high pressure side is self priming, and any interference here is a good way to get dirt or swarf into the injectors, or cause leaks. Once the main pump gets a good supply of fuel, it will work fine, and suck more from the tank, and push it through to the injectors. There are return pipes from each injector and the pump to the tank, that will vent any air in the high pressure side.

As Focusoap says, do not crank for more than a few seconds, rest it for a minute or so between attempts, and keep charging the battery. Better to take a bit longer than to wreck the starter motor or battery.

I do not like easy-start except in real emergencies, on diesels. There is a small risk of damage to glowplugs or even injectors by the uncontrolled ignitions in the cylinders. These ignitions are likely to happen well before top dead center, due to the high compression ratio. They could turn into damaging detonations (pinking).

• Like 1

Just a thought but what about using hose clamps on all pipes before removing the filter, then fill filter up with diesel and in theory there should be very little air in the lines as the fuel should not draw back into the tank etc. Then it should I use should start fairly easy??

This is a job I really ought to do on mine sooner rather than later as I have no idea when it was last changed and all these horror stories about getting them started after makes me put off doing it lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Did you remove any fuse to depressurize the fuel system and if so is it in the correct slot?

No I def haven't touched any fuses. 

6 hours ago, simcor said:

Just a thought but what about using hose clamps on all pipes before removing the filter, then fill filter up with diesel and in theory there should be very little air in the lines as the fuel should not draw back into the tank etc. Then it should I use should start fairly easy??

This is a job I really ought to do on mine sooner rather than later as I have no idea when it was last changed and all these horror stories about getting them started after makes me put off doing it lol

I like this idea and thankfully i have a hose clamp in my growing toolbox!  Will give it a go.  Failing that i'm picking up a tow rope today so a tow start is another option.

6 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

The way I got mine going (1.8, but can be just as awkward), was to use a priming bulb or handpump in the line into the filter (the line from the tank), to ram fuel into the filter and though that into the pump. Partially release the pipe on the outlet side of the filter to allow any air to escape, then refit and pump hard before cranking. Keep repeating until it runs.

This is a Ford recommended system, and it reduces the risk of introducing dirt into the pump or injectors, as most of the job is done prior to the filter, so it removes any particles.

The injection pump is after the filter. It is almost completely unable to suck air, so once air reaches it, it must be aided by pumping fuel into it. There is no tank pump.

I definitely do not recommend touching any of the high pressure (rigid metal) pipes or fittings. The high pressure side is self priming, and any interference here is a good way to get dirt or swarf into the injectors, or cause leaks. Once the main pump gets a good supply of fuel, it will work fine, and suck more from the tank, and push it through to the injectors. There are return pipes from each injector and the pump to the tank, that will vent any air in the high pressure side.

As Focusoap says, do not crank for more than a few seconds, rest it for a minute or so between attempts, and keep charging the battery. Better to take a bit longer than to wreck the starter motor or battery.

I do not like easy-start except in real emergencies, on diesels. There is a small risk of damage to glowplugs or even injectors by the uncontrolled ignitions in the cylinders. These ignitions are likely to happen well before top dead center, due to the high compression ratio. They could turn into damaging detonations (pinking).

Thanks Peter. If I've understood you right,  the only thing pumping fuel is the injection pump and it relies on a constant fuel supply which has now been interrupted because I've introduced air somehow.  Essentially i need to get fuel down the outlet pipe as close to the injection pump as possible as well as brimming the inlet and possibly using a hose clamp to prevent fuel being drawn back to the tank.  Is that right?

I assumed mine was done 40 000 miles ago as the log book showed a reciet for an oil filter and a fuel filter. Yes, they did change the oil filter as I checked the name of the filter after I had changed it, but I told the garage to change the fuel filter and to give me the old filter and then I realised it had not been changed for maybe 70 000 miles.

Now the car is quiet all the time, with the dirty filter it was more noisy, but it would go quiet again when I added v power she'll. I guess that is a way to know if your fuel filter needs changing.

2 hours ago, Albert27 said:

the only thing pumping fuel is the injection pump and it relies on a constant fuel supply which has now been interrupted because I've introduced air somehow.

Yep, it all relies on the diesel pump being able to suck fuel up from the fuel tank. Once it is fully primed with diesel, it has no trouble doing this, but the clearances in the 1st stage of the pump are big enough so it will not work on air, at least not at cranking speed.

It is almost impossible to avoid introducing some air, as the filter is higher than the tank (unless you park on the steep hill facing down!), so any time a pipe is disconnected, fuel will try to run back to the tank, drawing in air.

Simon's clamps might help, but on my car the pipes are not rubber, they are a semi-rigid plastic, and might be damaged by clamping up tightly.

2 hours ago, Albert27 said:

i need to get fuel down the outlet pipe as close to the injection pump as possible

A bit more than that, really. You need to get fuel right inside the pump, and pushing it in with a priming bulb or handpump capable of pumping (as well as sucking) is the best way.

As I said, I prefer to do this working from the inlet side of the filter to reduce the risk of pushing contamination into the injection pump. The second, high pressure stage has extremely close tolerances, and metal seats that are easy to damage. Same for the injectors.

The first time I changed my filter, it took two days to re-start the car, and I had to rig up a pump to pressure prime it. The pump I had was for air, so I rigged up a marmalade jar (contents eaten & jar cleaned up!), with air tight pipes in the top as a diesel reservoir, and then pressurised the jar with air to force the fuel into the pump. It was a bit complicated and messy, but it worked.

The second time I did the job, I planned it and used a priming bulb. it started, stopped once, I pumped a couple more times, and it started with no more fuss, just like normal.

• Like 1

this is what any diesel focus owner could do with, it fits between your primer and fuel line to high pressure fuel pump. so when priming your pushing any air through to pump and out the return pipe to tank. makes priming a doddle to do on 1.6tdci mk2 and mk3 . made it up out some old dpf fluid kit, and a high pressure fuel blanking off kit . drilled hole through the purple blank. fits perfectly. also good for 1.8 tdci on the return connector on pump(with purple blank off )  to suck air out of system 

1483188982618.jpg

1483189182963.jpg

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club