Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help choosing a cambelt kit

Tuffers69

Hi, my 2004 mk6 Fiesta 1.6 zetec is in need of a new cam belt. I have seen a few videos on YouTube on replacing the belts and it doesn't seem like a hard job for anyone competent enough. 

Upon searching for a suitable kit I have found that there are around 4 different tensioner designs that could be fitted to my engine (FYJB) I have read into it on gates website and it says there is an "accentric design" and another where it is just on a solid mount.  Both have been updated by newer versions that are backward compatible, giving 4 tensioner designs.

my question is how do I find out if I have the accentric design or not without taking my car apart so I can order the correct kit. 

Also does the water pump have to be changed too? It has done 180k miles 

anybody with some wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Tuffers69 said:

abybody with some wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

That rules me out then!:whistling1:

• Like 1

I have only come across the 2 tensioner types on Zetec engines.

normally when I'm doing one for someone I buy both and just return the other one. 

Strangely the only difference in parts of the Gates kits is the tensioner but one comes with cam bolts the other one doesn't. The last few I have done have been like this anyway. 

Personally at 180k I would do the waterpump too when your in there, it's not cambelt driven but it'll add another half hour to your job to do it.

• Like 1

Deffo the water pump also, personally I'd get the belt changed by a garage who have good insurance in case it goes t i t s up.

Then again, at 180k I dunno, it's pretty much in the grave?

Lemme see, 180k will take me 60 years, i'll be 128 :biggrin:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, winemart2 said:

Deffo the water pump also, personally I'd get the belt changed by a garage who have good insurance in case it goes t i t s up.

Then again, at 180k I dunno, it's pretty much in the grave?

Lemme see, 180k will take me 60 years, i'll be 128 :biggrin:

My mate is just about to scrap his old 1.6 Zetec mk1.5 focus with 240k miles on the clock, only due to it having rotted away to nothing lol

• Like 2

The engine is sweet as a nut it's spent all its life In Lincoln, either that or its had a new engine at some point. The only problem with the car mechanically is the belts need replacing.

I bought it for £380 Because it had an "EAC FAIL" and was idling high. I replaced a £6 hose behind the inlet manifold "Pcv hose" as it had a split in it and it's like a new car! 

• Like 1

It looks like I will just have to buy another kit and return whichever one doesn't fit. Thanks for the help Stef.

14 hours ago, stef123 said:

I have only come across the 2 tensioner types on Zetec engines.

normally when I'm doing one for someone I buy both and just return the other one. 

Strangely the only difference in parts of the Gates kits is the tensioner but one comes with cam bolts the other one doesn't. The last few I have done have been like this anyway. 

Personally at 180k I would do the waterpump too when your in there, it's not cambelt driven but it'll add another half hour to your job to do it.

ford only do the one kit for all versions now, so anyone you get will fit.

• Like 1

i know people say replace water pump at same time because if water pump needs replacing at a later date it is virtually all the same amount of work as doing cam belt.  but if you use a cheap water pump then that new one might fail before the original one you had on there does. so the principle is good, if you don't ruin the principle by using less good parts.  if you can actually do the work yourself at no cost (just your own time) then I personally would not replace the water pump particularly on a car that is not worth a geat deal.

and if you do go for replacing water pump when it does not actually need one and you snap a bolt or some other mishap then you will really be kicking yourself

17 hours ago, iantt said:

ford only do the one kit for all versions now, so anyone you get will fit.

I wish it was that simple, the actual belt itself is the same but there are 2 tensioner types, I have ordered both kits to make sure. Funnily enough the tensioner on its own is almost the same price as the whole kit.

it doesn't look like the tensioner on its own will fit on the bracket if needs be.

Thanks for your help guys.

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3072.JPG

I'm guessing you have the timing tools already too? 

Yeah I have the sealey kit with the bar and keys.

It says in the manual that you need to take one of the cam pulleys off, but these are plastic and require a Y-bar to hold it in place. Is this really necessary as once the tensioner is loosened the belt should come right off shouldn't it?

The cam pulleys are metal not plastic. Both cams and crank are floating so you need to loosen them off to achieve perfect timing but also you'll need to replace the bolts - which should be in the kit. But as I mentioned above (I think) one of the kits never does everytime I buy one, despite them being same manufacturer! 

• Like 1

Thanks for your help, I have figured it out now, you are right they are metal, but for some reason the Haynes manual said they are plastic? 

I have spoken to Gates and they said up to 2005 the tensioner is mounted on the bracket, after that it is the other design with the wheel on its own. 

Make sure that the water pump you put in has a metal impeller, mine had a plastic impeller which shattered just before Christmas meaning the whole job had to be done again.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club