Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3.5 Cruise Control Fitting

JamieSMcC

I've not had any luck so far. The latest version of Focccus doesn't work with my IPC. I can load the new as built file to the BCM but not the IPC. Going to try doing this with Forscan once I work out how!

to write to the IPC you have to flick the switch to MS-CAN. 

Still nothing unfortunately. When using Focccus, when I try reading from the IPC I get this...

IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.6a8aabddee672bbb0b7030bce76a69ca.JPG

if if I use Forscan, I can download the config, change it as needs be but when I try to write it to the backup, I get this

IMG_0424.thumb.JPG.6e2fbddfb1d23a35db8fd330344b58a3.JPG

any ideas guys guys and girls?

Did you download the correct Secondary Bootloader file (F1ET-14C025-BB.vbf) to the prescribed folder? If the Forscan program does not have the correct Secondary Bootloader file it will never connect to the IPC.

Note that the IPC only contains a backup configuration file. This file is only used as a backup in case the BCM is defective and needs to be replaced. The BCM contains the master configuration file that is used to configure most modules of the car. Changing the BCM configuration is enough to make the Cruise Control functions work.

• Like 1

Ok so sounds like what I'm trying to do then isn't actually needed. 

Can someone just confirm below what I have done is correct?

removed original wheel and fitted mk3.5 wheel with cruise and ASL settings. 

Installed FoCCCus and Forscan

opened FoCCCus and "read from BCM"

saved backup

changed #23 from "without cruise control" to "cruise control"

changed #224 from "without ASL" to "with ASL. 

Saved and "write to BCM"

once that is completed, gone to the ABS tab, hit "get info" then "initialise ECU". Once that is complete, "reset ECU"

open Forscan, connect to car, clear all DTCs. Disconnect ELM, turn car off, wait 30 seconds and start car

no indication on screen as to cruise being ready. 

Seems correct to me.

When the engine is running the Cruise Control function can be activated by pressing the ON/OFF button (marked with a Cruise Control symbol). Now the Cruise Control system is active (stand by) and the Cruise Control symbol should light up inside the Instrument cluster display. Next when driving the desired speed can be set by pressing the SET+ or SET- button.

Many thanks

this isn't happening. Think I might have the airbag out in the morning just to double check that the plug is seated correctly although it should be. All audio controls are working and the cruise switches are lighting up. 

Ok so wheel was off this morning. Plug was seated correctly, no pins backed out so the only thing I can think it is is that the IPC has not been programmed. It must be that. 

As I said the IPC only contains a backup config file. This backup file is not used to configure any of the modules inside the car. Even with the IPC config file completely empty (or not configured at al) The car will be fully functional.

If that's the case I'm completely out of ideas on what the issue is! It is only the ABS module I need to initialise right?

Does the new steering wheel have the correct Cruise Control switch?

Adaptive Cruise Control for example has a different switch and does not work for normal Cruise Control.

Mine has 6 buttons on the cruise section. Top left is cruise (just the cruise logo), top right is limiter (LIM), middle left SET + left bottom SET -, middle right resume (RES) and bottom right Cancel (CAN)

sound right?

Based on your description you have the correct (normal) Cruise Control buttons.

From reading the tutorial, I'm sure I know the answer here but there is no additional wiring needed is there? The wheel came with the loom which has the additional cables for the cruise, the plug car side has pins for every cable so I assume there is cables on the backend of this. Is there anything else i physically need to do?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/04/2017 at 9:10 PM, Harni said:

From reading the tutorial, I'm sure I know the answer here but there is no additional wiring needed is there? The wheel came with the loom which has the additional cables for the cruise, the plug car side has pins for every cable so I assume there is cables on the backend of this. Is there anything else i physically need to do?

Hi Niall,

Ive got to exactly the same point on my 2016 Grand CMAX, I used Forscan to activate both the cruise and asl but it does not function ? I have also checked all the components (clockspring, brake / clutch switches & BCM module) between the zetec & titanium versions on the ford EPC and everything is the same except the steering wheel controls which I have on the replacement steering wheel.

I have also read my BCM using Focccus and this confirms that the asbuilt data has been changed to with cruise & asl.

There must be something software related which is stopping this working for us, any ideas anyone ??

Cheers Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

did you have any luck with writing the same data to the IPC? I'm confident that is where the issue lies but I haven't worked out why it will not work! I've tried with both foCCCus and Forscan and no such luck 

Writing the Central Car Configuration data to the IPC will not solve this problem. As I said the Central Car Configuration of the IPC is only a backup file. The purpose of this file is to be able to reprogram the BCM when for some reason it needs to be replaced or reconfigured. 

Next to a backup of the Central car Configuration the IPC also contains another configuration. The settings of this configuration are embedded in a large number of parameter strings (hexadesimal data). These strings can be read/written with the FoCCCus program with the "Read/Write DID" function on the tools tab. However each parameter string contains several configuration settings and 99% of these configuration settings are still unknown. 

Next to the IPC the BCM also has configuration settings embedded in a large number of parameter strings. Same as the IPC configuration 99% of this configuration is still unknown.

If all hardware and wiring is present and the BCM supports Cruise Control i personally expect the problem to be caused by a BCM configuration setting. The easiest way to check this is by reading these settings from a similar vehicle(same Year, engine, transmission and spec/options) with Cruise Control and comparing these settings with the settings of your car. Another possibility is to temporarily change the VIN number of the car to the VIN number of a similar vehicle and reconfiguring the BCM and IPC with the Ford IDS/FRDS diagnostic system using the AS-BUILT data of that vehicle. This trick makes the Ford IDS/FRDS system think it is a different vehicle and load all configuration settings of that particular vehicle. After the BCM and IPC are reconfigured the VIN number can be changed to the original VIN number.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had any more luck with this installation?

I've got a 2016 Focus (built November 2016) without cruise control and am looking to add this to the car by changing over the steering wheel.

Thanks

No such luck yet but having done some reading on a few other sites I have something else to try which I will be doing when I next get a chance. Will update soon!

So my idea didn't work...

so next step, can anyone tell me the location of the BCM (behind the glove box?) and provide any sort of info as to the wiring involved (wire colours, pin outs etc) for the cruise? I suspect there may be missing cables for the cruise? The switch on the wheel lights up but I strongly suspect this is piggybacked off the lights for the rest of the switches. 

The BCM (Body Control Module) is fully integrated into the interior fuse box behind the glove box. The BCM is basically a fully commputer controlled fuse box.

To have decent access to the BCM you will have to remove the glove box. 

Focus MK3.5 schematics are not publically available (yet). The schematics can be obtained from the Ford ETIS website after registration as an independend repairer. However this is a paid service (access can be bought for 1 hour, 1 day or 1 Month).

The cruise control buttons of the Focus MK3/MK3.5 are not directly connected to the BCM. The cruise control buttons are connected to the SASM (Steering Angle Sensor Module) which communicates with the BCM and other modules over the CANbus network.

The following schematic is of a USA Focus MK3.5. I suspect this schematic to be the same for the European Focus MK3.5 but I never checked. Wiring colors may be different.

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=1123735

Thanks. Very helpful :)

i had the steering column cover off earlier and that diagram tallies up with what was there so I suspect that diagram is correct. 

Im lost! May go through all of the options on foCCCus again in case there is anything that could change it missing. 

Thanks for the update Niall. Looks like we're stuck until the Focccus software is updated... if it's updated!

wont your dealer switch it on?

3 hours ago, iantt said:

wont your dealer switch it on?

I have a friend who works for Ford who tried it. There was no option to on his software. The only thing remotely close was to calibrate adaptive cruise. 

His senior though actually mentioned to us that he would do it via foCCCus as ford don't give options to turn on factory fit kit.