Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3.5 Cruise Control Fitting

JamieSMcC

4 hours ago, Nicky2time said:

Really need some help. trying to change steering wheel but have now got hill assist not available and traction control warning light on dash. fitted steering wheel with cruise control controls but had to use forscan because foccus wouldnt work with my focus st. forscan keept show service interupted when writing to secondary bootloader. now got these errors. really need some guidance.

thanks 

All sorted now. Cruise control installed 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been scanning some forum pages looking for hope that I could get Cruise Control added to my Focus '16 Zetec S 1.0 Ecoboost.

Parts

£50 donor steering wheel & £16 modded ELM 327 (both via ebay) 

Software

latest copies of FoCCCus (v.0.8.6) and Forscan (v2.3.16 beta)

Steps followed

1. Steering wheel lowered and pulled towards me via adjuster

2. Pulled steering wheel top cover from under dash clock

3. Turned steering wheel and put screwdriver in middle of the steering wheel covers to remove top cover

4. (this part took ages however, here's the cheat...) Turn steering wheel to allow screwdriver to enter rear airbag slot. Now, if you see the image of the airbag removal for the mk 3.5 earlier on this thread, it looks as though there is a big clip that you just push to the side...wrong! there is a small clip above it that you can feel with your screwdriver if you move the screwdriver subtly. Once you've released one side, turn steering wheel and remove other side.

5. Centre steering wheel (dead straight) and leave airbag in place (should be loose but on steering wheel) - open bonnet and disconnect battery 

6. Remove airbag and cabling (2 small wires and one where you have to use screwdriver to lift red clip)

7. Remove 24mm bolt holding the steering wheel on

8. Tape clockspring to prevent it from being moved (mine kinda moved a tiny bit and I wish I had taped it) - anyway its fine but you should tape yours lol

9. Remove steering wheel and fit new one (reverse steps)

So...steering wheel with CC buttons fitted and battery back on.

Pressed the start button on the car without clutch down (ignition)...check horn and menu/volume buttons.

I fired up foCCCus, read from BCM, changed number 23 & 224 to with cruise and with ASL. Next, I clicked on write to BCM, all good so far. Clicked on the ABS tab and clicked initialise ECU. Once completed, I loaded up Forscan, connected, read DTCs and cleared them. Every time you read and write to the BCM via foCCCus, there will be some funny things happening - on the mk3.5 you'll get service due errors on dash.

Removed the ELM...started car and clicked on CC button...BOOOM! I HAVE CC and my knee can rest up on the long journeys!!!

I know the guides are already on the forum and I've repeated a lot but just wanted to share again 🙂 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone managed to do this yet on a 2016 1.5tdci?? 🤔 

• 2 months later...

I have successfully installed a cruise control on my 2017 Focus 1,5tdci. No steering wheel swap, just with addition of CC switch.

If there is enough interest I will post more detailed procedure.

Frank

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 7:46 AM, Frank125 said:

I have successfully installed a cruise control on my 2017 Focus 1,5tdci. No steering wheel swap, just with addition of CC switch.

If there is enough interest I will post more detailed procedure.

Frank

Hi Frank, yes please, I would be very interested in how you have achieved this as still can't get mine to work. 

I've received quite a few messages regarding installation/enabling Cruise Control on a Focus 1.5 TDCi.

As mentioned before I've added CC switch(FINIS 1851411) to my existing steering wheel(SW).
Also worth noting that for Focus 3.5 ford doesn't supply wiring loom for CC however as you'll see in the next description there is a way to get around that.

These were my steps:

I will not get into details on how to disconnect battery, remove trim and airbag. It has been described on this forum more than well.

Once faced with wiring on SW it will become obvious that to the left SW switch(this switch will be replaced by new CC switch) leads 4 circuit receptacle however to the new CC switch it is necessary to obtain proper 8 circuits (for 8 pin) receptacle. This connector is Molex MINI50 0347910080. 
You'll also need to get proper connectors for crimping on both sides (note that 16 pin connector on SW - eg.RS 718-7145 has different ones than 8 pin on CC receptacle - eg.Mouser 560023-0421).

Connect wires according to the wiring schematic below. Colours don't matter, follow the location of wires.

You'll also need to cut a chunk of the steering wheel to fit new CC switch.

Put it all back together. What follows next is what probably most of you are waiting for. 

Software update/adjustment:
I used original UCDS software which is very straightforward and easy to do with once you know what has to be done.
Firstly it is important to save all current settings into a file as a backup. 
Then it is necessary to change AsBuilt file, mine was line 23 CC to WITH CRUISE CONTROL. Save AsBuilt.
Write AsBuilt into BCMii. In my case it was also necessary to write Asbuilt Backup to IPC.

Lastly I had to update PCM - DirectConfig, Focus 1.5Tdci, 19:config data - 00, cruise control

At this point CC has been fully operational.

Note: some of you might have to also change Adjustable Speed Limiter in AsBuilt and PCM.

Special thanks to guys from RS forum:
Ben, Chris
and also to Q u i t y 3

With this description it will still require a bit of time however you should be able to get it done. Especially knowing suppliers/manufacturer numbers of components - that happened to be a very tedious process. 

Good luck.

Frank

F4ED88C6-29F6-45B2-87F4-43B34BDDCA02.jpeg

338C1677-73C2-4CBD-BAF0-B648F19997A3.jpeg

8A3EDFFC-4356-4600-A5A1-B2969961BE24.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that Frank, I have been changing the asbuilt using forscan on the bcmii only, enabling both the cc  and asl but not done the same with with the ipc, I don't think that forscan is able to change anything on the pcm so before I jump and buy ucds is there any chance you could explain further how this is done, if you could do a few screen shots that would be great 👍

Thanks in advance

Paul

I only have a couple of pics of UCDS software. See below.

Also, just to be clear...procedure described above does not require removal of steering wheel(airbag only).

206A504D-1D63-4779-8293-469EFB5F7BDC.jpeg

F0BE1457-6857-4874-8724-6FF165E2240D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Frank125 said:

I only have a couple of pics of UCDS software. See below.

Also, just to be clear...procedure described above does not require removal of steering wheel(airbag only).

206A504D-1D63-4779-8293-469EFB5F7BDC.jpeg

F0BE1457-6857-4874-8724-6FF165E2240D.jpeg

Hi Frank, this morning I refitted my titanium steering wheel with the cruise switches already fitted and using forscan I enabled both the cruise control and asl in both the Bcmii and the Ipc, cleared the faults generated but it doesn't work, I think the final piece to the puzzle is the part you mentioned about the altering the Pcm using the Ucds, have looked in forscan and I don't think you can... 

Enable cruise control to a focus diesel using UCDS

First go into asbuilt editor 

1.thumb.jpg.9dd10e6321f604df5d354581a3d8a0eb.jpg

Choose the correct vehicle (focus 3 2015) then click next 

2.thumb.jpg.f58a4a29a3131f69fd521f8778778ea4.jpg

Click read from BCMi

4.thumb.jpg.937fb460ac29a986c586b43817291471.jpg

Changed asbuilt lines  23 to with cruise control    

3.thumb.jpg.cf1984d2fb4b4b0b7e15cf1562d0f372.jpg

line 224 to with ASL

5.thumb.jpg.35848b14dbb1205cd541fdfe90f77b68.jpg

Now click write asbuilt to BCMi   dash will do its thing  when its finished click write asbuilt backup to IPC  dash will do it thing again (dont worry about faults that show)

Then go into direct configuration 

6.thumb.jpg.afa4969544b9d1cde658f117fd3b7e00.jpg

Choose correct vehicle (focus 3 2015-2018)

7.thumb.jpg.66afa1df74b08c45410018ea0b48e2ae.jpg

Find your PCM type

8.thumb.jpg.b794b7b67479df126e966f00fd6881d5.jpg

Click on 13 config data DE00 

Select line 38 select and change to "Cruise control "

Select Line 39 select ASL

9.thumb.jpg.c57ec218564d75ab804c98f020102a12.jpg

Then click Write to module  

Now you will have Cruise control 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tezza said:

Enable cruise control to a focus diesel using UCDS

First go into asbuilt editor 

1.thumb.jpg.9dd10e6321f604df5d354581a3d8a0eb.jpg

Choose the correct vehicle (focus 3 2015) then click next 

2.thumb.jpg.f58a4a29a3131f69fd521f8778778ea4.jpg

Click read from BCMi

4.thumb.jpg.937fb460ac29a986c586b43817291471.jpg

Changed asbuilt lines  23 to with cruise control    

3.thumb.jpg.cf1984d2fb4b4b0b7e15cf1562d0f372.jpg

line 224 to with ASL

5.thumb.jpg.35848b14dbb1205cd541fdfe90f77b68.jpg

Now click write asbuilt to BCMi   dash will do its thing  when its finished click write asbuilt backup to IPC  dash will do it thing again (dont worry about faults that show)

Then go into direct configuration 

6.thumb.jpg.afa4969544b9d1cde658f117fd3b7e00.jpg

Choose correct vehicle (focus 3 2015-2018)

7.thumb.jpg.66afa1df74b08c45410018ea0b48e2ae.jpg

Find your PCM type

8.thumb.jpg.b794b7b67479df126e966f00fd6881d5.jpg

Click on 13 config data DE00 

Select line 38 select and change to "Cruise control "

Select Line 39 select ASL

9.thumb.jpg.c57ec218564d75ab804c98f020102a12.jpg

Then click Write to module  

Now you will have Cruise control 

Thanks for that, will this work with a ford Grand Cmax as it doesn't appear in the direct config vehicle picker, would it be OK to use the focus mk3 C 346 2015 to 2018?? sorry if I appear over cautious but I am a bit wary of using any new programs as using focccus before it managed to delete all the data on my bcmii and had to be reprogrammed by a dealer using ids... Duh

Thanks

Paul

23 hours ago, Tezza said:

Yes as if you look at the first picture is does say Focus3 / C max 

• Thanks 1

OK thanks Tezza, if I get chance tomorrow I'll get the vehicle on a charger and give it a go, fingers crossed hey. 

Cheers

Paul 

A big thank you to both Frank125 & Tezza, I now have cruise control on my Grand Cmax and I am well happy 😊 

Harni if you read this UCDS definately does the job as your able to edit the asbuilt in the Pcm 👍

7 hours ago, Tebba said:

A big thank you to both Frank125 & Tezza, I now have cruise control on my Grand Cmax and I am well happy 😊 

Harni if you read this UCDS definately does the job as your able to edit the asbuilt in the Pcm 👍

Your welcome Tebba UCDS is the best program out there 

• Thanks 1

Hello All,

Merry Xmas to you all first of all. I Recently bought a 2015 Focus Petrol but I dont know how to program the CC, would be grateful if anyone around the london area can help. Willing to pay of course.

Thanks All

On 12/25/2018 at 3:39 AM, malramahi said:

Hello All,

Merry Xmas to you all first of all. I Recently bought a 2015 Focus Petrol but I dont know how to program the CC, would be grateful if anyone around the london area can help. Willing to pay of course.

Thanks All

Hi, I am in the Midlands so no help I'm afraid, on the petrol vehicles it can be done with forscan and a modified ELM327 which can be bought cheaply off eBay, if you don't feel confident though I'm sure there will be someone along who lives near by. 

Hi All 

I have a Focus 1.5 TDCi 2016, i have fitted a steering wheel with CC buttons nearly a year ago now and have like many of the diesel owners tried using forscan and Focccus to activate the cc feature without any luck, i am looking for someone with UCDS to activate the CC feature for me, i am willing to travel and pay for someone to do it for me.  

I am in the Essex area  

Thanks all 

5 hours ago, Paulb190 said:

Hi All 

I have a Focus 1.5 TDCi 2016, i have fitted a steering wheel with CC buttons nearly a year ago now and have like many of the diesel owners tried using forscan and Focccus to activate the cc feature without any luck, i am looking for someone with UCDS to activate the CC feature for me, i am willing to travel and pay for someone to do it for me.  

I am in the Essex area  

Thanks all 

I'm in the Midlands near Walsall and would be willing to help but probably too far for you to travel? 🤔 

1 hour ago, Tebba said:

I'm in the Midlands near Walsall and would be willing to help but probably too far for you to travel? 🤔 

Hello Paul 

Thank you for your very kind offer, its approximately 3 hours each way, if i don't get any luck with anyone a little closer if you don't mind i will take you up on your offer,

Thanks again    

Just now, Paulb190 said:

Hello Paul 

Thank you for your very kind offer, its approximately 3 hours each way, if i don't get any luck with anyone a little closer if you don't mind i will take you up on your offer,

Thanks again    

No problem Paulb I'd be happy to help, just let me know via prv message if you have no luck with someone more local, it literally takes about 3 mins to do 😉

Hi Tebba, I've been trying to activate cc on my focus 1.5 tdci zetec. Steering wheel changed and everything, but like most couldn't get the software to work, well my brother couldn't, after doing it on his 10 year old Focus. I'm in Redditch, so not far away, could we arrange a meeting? John. 

On 12/27/2018 at 9:54 PM, Tebba said:

No problem Paulb I'd be happy to help, just let me know via prv message if you have no luck with someone more local, it literally takes about 3 mins to do 😉

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club