Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing the battery 2012 Focus Stop/Start

lockett85

Looking for some advice really. 

My cars battery has started to fail, was evident a few months ago but has now completely given up after the colder nights. I had to get a jump start this morning.

I'm mechanically minded, so swapping a battery is no issue for me, but I had read in a few places that because my car has Stop/Start a replacement battery will need coding into the car. Is this true?

If not I can just grab a EFB and be done with it with a straight swap.

Car is a 2012 Focus Tit X TDCi EcoBoost

Thanks guys :)

As long as it is a silver calcium battery of the same or higher amp rating it should be okay for stop start.

The programming bit is just a case of resetting the battery monitoring system, to the car knows it has a new battery.

I'll see if I can find a procedure.

there is no reason why you cannot just replace the batt over with a new batt, the car may loose a few stored settings but it will re-learn them once your driveing again,

had mine replaced 2yrs ago, bit difficult in places to remove the batt fittings, but take your time, i was told never to jump start the car by ford as it can fry the electronics inside the computer, thats why the car chargers are advanced one now for newer cars

26 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

As long as it is a silver calcium battery of the same or higher amp rating it should be okay for stop start.

The programming bit is just a case of resetting the battery monitoring system, to the car knows it has a new battery.

I'll see if I can find a procedure.

Thanks mate.

Car currently has a Enhanced Flooded type battery, off the top of my head I cant remember the exact details, but finding another it shouldn't be an issue.

I have a copy of the reset procedure as I tried that before when the car started having issues. 

25 minutes ago, andypsp said:

there is no reason why you cannot just replace the batt over with a new batt, the car may loose a few stored settings but it will re-learn them once your driveing again,

had mine replaced 2yrs ago, bit difficult in places to remove the batt fittings, but take your time, i was told never to jump start the car by ford as it can fry the electronics inside the computer, thats why the car chargers are advanced one now for newer cars

Thanks buddy.

Thats reassuring, I will remove the battery and see how difficult it is, I've swapped the battery on my dads old Focus and I know its a pain as its buried half behind the scuttle. 

Not too sure about the issues that jump starting can cause, thats a first I've heard of it, but I'll take that into note if I need to again. I do have a smart charger, but I wasn't in a position to use it at the time. :)

my July 2007 fiesta 1.6tdci (150k miles) , (now owned by my brother) still has original battery in it and works fine.

was this 2012 battery failing just unlucky or does stop/start kill batteries earlier?

Thanks buddy.
Thats reassuring, I will remove the battery and see how difficult it is, I've swapped the battery on my dads old Focus and I know its a pain as its buried half behind the scuttle. 
Not too sure about the issues that jump starting can cause, thats a first I've heard of it, but I'll take that into note if I need to again. I do have a smart charger, but I wasn't in a position to use it at the time. :)

At least they got easier on the newer focuses, mine took all of 15 mins (and most of that was finding where I put the grease). My mum's old focus was horrendous to get to the battery.

Just bumping this to see if you have managed to locate the procedure for the battery monitoring system? Our Mk3 tit x has had a change of battery but still haven't been able to get the stereo working again. Everything else seems to be fine, including the stop start which has probably worked 3 or 4 times in the year we've had the car but now works perfectly. 

Thanks

Its in the owner manual as are the instructions for jump starting and charging

Basically always put the earth lead on the body charging post to the right of the battery and you will have no problems

NEVER disconnect the battery while the engine is running, That will do damage

Nothing about the battery monitoring system in my manual. 

Just this -

1483908998090149887036.jpg

Nothing about the battery monitoring system in my manual. 

Just this -

the battery monitoring wont now be your issue, it will self learn to an extent, and as your stop start is working it should be ok. when did you have battery replaced and was it a efl battery?

i have got the procedure on one of my posts somewhere , will have a look

ign on for 10 secs, press rear foglight switch 5 times, press hazzard switch 3 times, wait 10 secs. battery light flashes. Ign off

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just found your post on another thread and tried that but didn't work, as you suggest. 

The battery was replaced 9 days ago. Long story short was I was in Surrey when I bought a new battery as it had failed to start when we left home in Sunderland. Started Ok every time until we needed to leave to come home. Fitted the new battery to get home but it was a much lower CCA than the original, even though euro car parts said it was the correct one. Radio didn't work at that point. Got a battery with a slightly higher CCA than the original but still isn't working.

is it an enhansed flooded type and what cca? petrol should be 590 and diesel 700 from what i remember.

CCA is 620 compared to 590 which came out. I'm not sure about enhanced flooded, I can't find anything on ECP website to say it is. 

It's a Lion battery. Chosen really because it was the closest in size, as it was a fairly tight fit, and the only one with CCA the same or higher than what was in

its essential it is a flooded type, do you know the lion version you have? going to have a look on eurocarparts now

I didn't realise that was so important. Weird that the stop start is actually working better now and it's just the stereo that isn't working. Thanks very much for your help Ian, hopefully getting it replaced tomorrow will sort it out.

Didn't realise there was a requirement for efb. I'll have to remember that...

57 minutes ago, v530anh said:

Can you use a flooded battery for an early focus without stop/start?

efb battery cost a lot more, an old focus will just use a normal battery

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club