Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Changing the battery 2012 Focus Stop/Start

lockett85

7 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

i think it may be this one you need  Exide Battery (EFB 110 Car Battery (EL752) - 3 year Guarantee)Product Code: 444779086 from euro-car-parts

£170 for a batt ?? 

feck me does it fit itself lol.

Duracell Extreme 027 EFB DE60 Car Battery 

eBay for £90 

Can I use this on old focus, it is just a little more than the normal batteries.

35 minutes ago, v530anh said:

Duracell Extreme 027 EFB DE60 Car Battery 

EBay for £90 

Can I use this on old focus, it is just a little more than the normal batteries.

Why do you want to?  It won't be of any benefit without stop-start.  Just need a normal silver calcium one if they had smart charge in '99, not sure when that came in.

• Like 1

Kevh17  whatever the rights and wrongs of the battery, I can't see that the battery type is going to make any difference to getting the radio to work. check fuse first.

I have read so much about whether or not these modern fords need a special battery. I have a stop/start fiesta. I don't care if the stop/start does not function at all.

But some people are saying that the modern fords charge at a higher voltage than old cars and that if you use a 'standard' battery it ruins the plates in it due to the higher charge voltage and battery fails early.

I just don't know what to believe, being cynical that makers just want us to spend loads on a 'special' battery.

I'd love to tell you a new £100 battery has solved my problem. But it hasn't. 

Spoke to a car audio guy and he reckons it could actually be the screen itself so going to have to order a replacement and see what happens. Problem is, I can only find 4.2" colour screens made for a sync system for sale. The only thing difference is an A rather than a B at the start of the part number. If you go for any earlier version you may lose some functions but I imagine going for a later one will be fine?

8 hours ago, isetta said:

Kevh17  whatever the rights and wrongs of the battery, I can't see that the battery type is going to make any difference to getting the radio to work. check fuse first.

I have read so much about whether or not these modern fords need a special battery. I have a stop/start fiesta. I don't care if the stop/start does not function at all.

But some people are saying that the modern fords charge at a higher voltage than old cars and that if you use a 'standard' battery it ruins the plates in it due to the higher charge voltage and battery fails early.

I just don't know what to believe, being cynical that makers just want us to spend loads on a 'special' battery.

It was 102 compared to 58 but hopefully the only time I'll need to change it. 

I've checked the fuses before and again when fitting the new battery and they all seem fine. There's 4 in total which could be linked to the screen but no breaks in any of them

6 hours ago, Kevh17 said:

It was 102 compared to 58 but hopefully the only time I'll need to change it. 

I've checked the fuses before and again when fitting the new battery and they all seem fine. There's 4 in total which could be linked to the screen but no breaks in any of them

did you get the correct batt from euro-car parts then matey ?

Yeah I did. It was listed as an option when I put my reg in but really the other ones aren't suitable so it shouldn't list them. Got my money back no problem though

I don't know for sure , but if the screen was faulty wouldn't you still get some sound from the audio, can you get a crackle or a hum with volume turned up?

A new screen has sorted the problem. Unfortunately it was screen was from a sync system, not the pre-sync, so I now have only the basic functions - no bluetooth or usb.

I don't know if I can reprogram the screen to work with the pre-sync or if a screen with a serial number beginning with B rather than A will never work properly with it and I need to buy an exact serial match.

Third option - buy a sync stereo module?

1 hour ago, Kevh17 said:

A new screen has sorted the problem. Unfortunately it was screen was from a sync system, not the pre-sync, so I now have only the basic functions - no bluetooth or usb.

I don't know if I can reprogram the screen to work with the pre-sync or if a screen with a serial number beginning with B rather than A will never work properly with it and I need to buy an exact serial match.

Third option - buy a sync stereo module?

is this the part your after  eBay item number:401254825306

The serial number from the one that taken out was AM5T-18B955-CG. The new one is BM5T-18B955-CG. The B means it is for a sync system but needs to be CG for it to be a colour version

• 2 years later...
On 1/8/2017 at 1:23 PM, iantt said:

ign on for 10 secs, press rear foglight switch 5 times, press hazzard switch 3 times, wait 10 secs. battery light flashes. Ign off

Can somebody please explain to me what is meant by "rear foglight switch"?

I can only find one foglight switch, to the left of the steering wheel, with the brighter/dimmer dash lighting controls to the right of it.

My manual (2012 Focus SEL liftback, USA) only mentions the one switch as well.

A comment on Youtube gave the exact same instructions, again stating "rear foglight switch".  But as far as I can tell there is only one foglamp switch.

I tried using this switch in the above stated sequence, and the battery LED didn't change.  BTW, clicking the Hazard switch 3X leaves the hazard lights on even after 10 seconds.

I bought the Bosch replacement battery at Pep Boys.  They claimed that they have fewer problems with Champion, but whatever.

10 hours ago, 2012SEL said:

Can somebody please explain to me what is meant by "rear foglight switch"?

I can only find one foglight switch, to the left of the steering wheel, with the brighter/dimmer dash lighting controls to the right of it.

My manual (2012 Focus SEL liftback, USA) only mentions the one switch as well.

A comment on Youtube gave the exact same instructions, again stating "rear foglight switch".  But as far as I can tell there is only one foglamp switch.

I tried using this switch in the above stated sequence, and the battery LED didn't change.  BTW, clicking the Hazard switch 3X leaves the hazard lights on even after 10 seconds.

I bought the Bosch replacement battery at Pep Boys.  They claimed that they have fewer problems with Champion, but whatever.

In the UK (and I believe the whole of the EU) it's a legal requirement to have rear fog lights on all cars so all of our Focus's have at least the rear fog, higher spec models also have front fogs, hence having to specify which button for the procedure.

In the US there is no requirement for rear fog lights and the SEL has fronts only.  Due to that, I have no idea how you reset the BMS on a US spec model!

You can reset BMS via forscan software on a laptop and an elm 327 adapter. 

• 6 months later...

On returning from holiday(2 weeks) tried to start my 2017 fiesta eco boost dead as the proverbial . Bought new battery but girl in Halfords said there might be a process I have to go through so I don’t lose radio. I don’t have/ can’t find radio code. I have bought like for like start/ stop battery anyone got any advice please 

No code for radio, just fit the battery. But I do advise to get the BMS reset using forscan and an elm 327. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:36 PM, iantt said:

You can reset BMS via forscan software on a laptop and an elm 327 adapter. 

Hi

I've fitted a new battery and carried out the procedure successfully - Ignition on for 10 secs, pressed rear fog light switch 5 times, pressed hazard switch 3 times, waited 10 seconds and got the battery light flashes, ignition off.

Is it OK just to do that, or is there a reason why it would be better to use Forscan/Elm?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, YOG said:

Hi

I've fitted a new battery and carried out the procedure successfully - Ignition on for 10 secs, pressed rear fog light switch 5 times, pressed hazard switch 3 times, waited 10 seconds and got the battery light flashes, ignition off.

Is it OK just to do that, or is there a reason why it would be better to use Forscan/Elm?

Thanks.

Your right, I've been chatting on a different site regarding BMS Mk5 Mondeo which that method doesn't work. Still had that in my head. 

• Thanks 1