Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N Filter for 1.0 EcoBoost

Zirk

Hi all & happy new year!

My apologies if this has been previously discussed.

I wanted to get a K&N filter for my 1.0L Ecoboost & have been doing lots of research & it seems there is a lot of conflicting views.

Some people love it & some people hate it. The general consensus seems to be that it improves throttle response and lowers mpg at the expense of allowing more dirt into the engine hence causing premature wear. Some people also say that it causes MAF issues due to it being an oiled filter.

However there does not appear to be any recent info on this & that’s the reason for me bringing up this topic.

Has anyone used it extensively on an Ecoboost and have you had ANY adverse effects OR any noticeable gains and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

I have one on my 1.6 ecoboost Focus and it really transforms the way the car drives. It feels quicker and more responsive. I cant vouch for economy as i bought the K&N filter with the removable end bung so i get some additional induction noise and also a bit of blow off noise like a mini dump valve. You cant help driving a little more aggressively (up to the speed limit of course) to listen to the filter.

I use an E-9289 (removable bung)

e-9289.jpg

They are not available for a Fiesta though due to the airbox design so it will be a standard type such as this. Unless of course you go for an open induction kit.

33-2955.jpg

Other members like the Green air filters but ive always been a K&N person myself.

Most of the stuff you saying ive never heard of before lol it wont cause premature wear lol and oil issues with maf unless you re oiled it with about a litre of oil then this wont happen or they have put maf in backwards and blaming it on the Filter  but anyway 
Increased throttle response and in my case better mpg i was getting 42 mpg after this a got 43mpg but maybe just me  
I have the mountune induction it uses basically a K&N and never heard anyone complain about a induction before lol 

First post here so there's every risk I'll be taken to being a K&N shill however I've got to start somewhere with posting! :smile:

I stumbled across this article from K&N themselves concerning their filters and supposed oil-related issues with MAF sensors and their conclusion from objective testing is that there are no issues whatsoever. Of course, 'they would say that wouldn't they' but it is in my view a fairly comprehensive assessment and more useful than theorising and hearsay that often tends to be all that's available elsewhere. I thought it therefore worth sharing in case it helps you to make your own mind up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys.

About 2 days after I posted this I bought the filter and installed it. I must say that my car really does NOT like this filter. I drove it for 4 days to and from work (160 km) with the filter. The car seems to rev more freely but at the same time seems to lack pulling power :sad:

Took it out on the 5th day and put the original back & the car going perfectly again.

I regularly monitor my car with Forscan and interestingly, Forscan shows no difference in the amount of air passing the MAF at any rev as compared to the stock filter :unsure:

I've read elsewhere that a remap is needed to benefit from these filters, not sure if that is the case. 

interesting, i'm looking at a new panel filter stuck between k&n and green cotton, i also have 1.0 ecoboost (2013) be a shame if this is the case with our engines as i was getting excited for next month when i was going to buy it.

7 hours ago, Zirk said:

Thanks for all the info guys.

About 2 days after I posted this I bought the filter and installed it. I must say that my car really does NOT like this filter. I drove it for 4 days to and from work (160 km) with the filter. The car seems to rev more freely but at the same time seems to lack pulling power :sad:

Took it out on the 5th day and put the original back & the car going perfectly again.

I regularly monitor my car with Forscan and interestingly, Forscan shows no difference in the amount of air passing the MAF at any rev as compared to the stock filter :unsure:

I've read elsewhere that a remap is needed to benefit from these filters, not sure if that is the case. 

I have had my K&N in my car for a year plus and have not had any issues

There is a slightly better pull which is hardly noticeable but is present, but all these issues I'm reading I have not heard from any other topics I have been involved in on the forums 

good one, i think i am going to steer more towards K&N as iv heard more reviews from of them 

I saw on another site regarding K&Ns, if you re-oil it, it's best to do it and then leave it over night. Only need to spray enough on to coat it so it has a slight tint of red. 

Just jumping on this one guys, I bought a R Sport kit from pumaspeed which is the hard induction pipe and cone filter. Drove car and took it off after 2 days. MPG was difficult to get above 30 and it lacked response. However, to get the best from one of these you need a decent cold air feed and in some cases a good way of keeping the engine bay heat away from the filter, both of which i didn't do so it's my own fault. Sounded really good though!!!!

Going to go down the Panel filter route now again, Green Cotton was always good to use in my old Puma 1.7 :D

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the K&N drop-in panel filter in my Titanium X - 125 about 9 months ago. I've found that it's actually increased MPG. I like the fact that I don't have to spend ~£15 on a new filter when it gets serviced thus saving money.

• Like 1

Hi Crash has the K&N filter changed the sound of the engine in any way, steve

I believe it's made the turbo sound louder. Every time I change gear I can hear the "ssssssssss" sound outside the car. I can also hear the turbo inside the car. I think it's turned heads before haha. It's by no means very loud, but definitely noticeable.

Cheers mate I must say its the sound more than the performance I am looking for.

Yeah, no worries. It's definitely the starting stone before going onto the full on cone filter induction kit route in my opinion.

i think next payday a k&n is going in my basket for sure 

does anyone have a link to the exact one for the 1.0 eco boost 125