Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Ti X 1.5 TDCi MY17 - Active Grille Shutter

avi

Does anyone know if Ford has recently stopped fitting its Active Grille Shutter to 2017 GB model Focus 1.5 TDCi Ti X  ?

The reason I ask is I had an early 2016 version of the same car and ETIS shows "With Kysor Radiator Shutter" but on my new car ETIS shows "Less radiator Shutters". I haven't taken delivery of the new yet so can't eyeball.

Any ideas or could it be an ETIS error ?? 

Maybe it's an optional extra and wasn't specified

Not aware of it being an optional extra and there's nothing on the price list. Dealer has no idea. lol 

Also noticed it was missing on an early Sep 2016 build date car.

wont be an optional extra. cant see why they would not have it fitted. 

11 hours ago, iantt said:

wont be an optional extra. cant see why they would not have it fitted. 

It does seem odd and I'm just going off ETIS when comparing the previous car to the new one.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully they got rid of it. If it's gets stuck closed it can cause over heating

• Like 2

Had a reply back from Ford CRC.  It does appear the Active Grille Shutter system is no longer installed in some Focus models.  From what I found looking at ETIS it suggests is was dropped from diesel Focus builds around mid 2016 onward. Not sure if this is the case with petrol versions as I don't know anyone with a late 2016 petrol build to check.

The feature is still marketed by Ford for the Focus and given its claims about improved aerodynamics and efficiency I wonder what this means for MPG and emissions ?   

• 1 year later...

Have noticed due to the cold weather that my Focus never reaches normal operating temperature very quickly and even after a journey of 11 miles.

Thought the active shutter might be playing up.

While doing a search on google I came across this post and have had a look at my car and no active shutter present per avi in previous post.

why oh why would Ford stop putting this feature into the car when it is supposed to better aerodynamics and save on fuel.

don’t know if this is linked but my 2014 1.6 TDCI Focus was much better on fuel and had the shutters on it.

would like to hear from anyone with info on this.

Geo.

My shutters is behaving a little strange in winter. In temperatures down to approx +4C it closes to 25 % in speeds above 60 km/h and opens to 45 % in town traffic (50 km/h). In the summer and on ac it can be from 85 to 95 % open in town and 35 % urban driving.

BUT!

In the winter when it needs to keep as much heat as possible it is backwards. In temperatures below +4C the shutter is constant on 40 % open at any speed. It has always been like that so it seems to be normal or what?

In the winter the coolant temp is between 78 to 90 C and about 4-5 C higher in the summer.

I've got a 2017 Focus Titanium X and was wondering about the shutter myself as the car was taking around 6 miles to get to temp when the ambient was around +3'c. I had a closer look and sure enough, no shutter. It was on my 2013 Titanium X.

Does anyone know why Ford have not put the shutter into the 1.5 TDCI model.

5 hours ago, Ormet said:

My shutters is behaving a little strange in winter. In temperatures down to approx +4C it closes to 25 % in speeds above 60 km/h and opens to 45 % in town traffic (50 km/h). In the summer and on ac it can be from 85 to 95 % open in town and 35 % urban driving.

BUT!

In the winter when it needs to keep as much heat as possible it is backwards. In temperatures below +4C the shutter is constant on 40 % open at any speed. It has always been like that so it seems to be normal or what?

In the winter the coolant temp is between 78 to 90 C and about 4-5 C higher in the summer.

im told its open 40% in winter at temps below 4c to stop any snow jamming the grille shutters. the early focus had issues with snow in certain conditions and colder countries than in uk. so the the shutter operation was changed via a pcm update. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, iantt said:

im told its open 40% in winter at temps below 4c to stop any snow jamming the grille shutters. the early focus had issues with snow in certain conditions and colder countries than in uk. so the the shutter operation was changed via a pcm update. 

Makes me wonder if they have disabled the shutter completely on my car then because I'm running the latest PCM updates. How could I tell?

Check to see if you actually have the. Fitted first. 

If so and they not working , then check the fuse or trip to dealer. 

Don't forget they open whenever you have the A/C on too. (Which is all the time for me).

Also I believe (at least on the ST) they open under heavy acceleration to allow air to the IC.

• Like 2

When you turn your engine off , if you get out and look through the grill you will see that the shutter is open. If you hang around for 10 minutes you will hear & see them shut. 

On 16/02/2018 at 9:37 PM, drsdriver said:

When you turn your engine off , if you get out and look through the grill you will see that the shutter is open. If you hang around for 10 minutes you will hear & see them shut. 

That might explain the weird mechanical noises I hear when I've been in the car for a while eating my Maccy D's! :laugh:

• Haha 1

On 16/02/2018 at 9:51 AM, alexp999 said:

Don't forget they open whenever you have the A/C on too. (Which is all the time for me).

Also I believe (at least on the ST) they open under heavy acceleration to allow air to the IC.

Interestingly, I found this morning if it's a cold day and the engines cold, switching on the AC after start up doesn't immediately switch on the fan or open the grill shutter, despite the compressor running and icy air in the cabin.  Spent a few minutes thinking I had more issues after refilling the AC gas earlier lol.

The intercooler on the 1.6tdci at least isn't covered by the grill shutters.  It can be bypassed using a throttle style valve in the boost pipes instead.  Not sure if the ST uses the same system though.

On 19/02/2018 at 1:31 PM, DJ_Andy_M said:

That might explain the weird mechanical noises I hear when I've been in the car for a while eating my Maccy D's! :laugh:

Besides the farting? :biggrin:

13 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Besides the farting? :biggrin:

No that is the other half or the child lol :laugh:

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club