Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raising the gearstick a couple inches

xpeterpx

Just curious but has anyone been able to raise the gearstick slightly just so the gearknob sits a couple inches higher?

Mk1 focus by the way if it helps.

Thanks

You could manufacture an 'extension' quite easily depending on how the gearknob is connected to the shaft.

It's not just the shaft you need to extend. The reverse mechanism needs extending as well. The bit you lift to select reverse has 2 arms that go down along side the shaft for the lock selector (so you don't put it in reverse by mistake as your traveling forwards).

It just so happens I have one to hand... lol

Not so hard to do, as you said, the knob screws onto the shaft so what's wrong with adding an 'extension' onto the screwed shaft to only lift the gearknob as per the OP request. I'm assuming you don't lift the gearknob to select reverse. If you do then do as Mac801123 says

Exactly right just hoping to add a bit of top end extension rather than a full overhaul.

Can i please ask for ideas on how to acheive this regards to bits needed etc.

25 minutes ago, xpeterpx said:

Exactly right just hoping to add a bit of top end extension rather than a full overhaul.

Can i please ask for ideas on how to acheive this regards to bits needed etc.

If the outter black sleeve section is metal aswell then you could purchase a second unit from the breakers, use it to extend the existing one by chopping and welding,

There's also plenty of gear gaitor manufacturers on eBay that can manufacture an extended gaitor for the focus if you asked them.

Here to help again as I got the bits on hand...

The parts are hard plastic the two rods for the reverse gear section have two holes at 84mm centers. If you extend the main shaft by two inches the the rods will need the same.as long as you extend the parts by the same amount then it will work. You could make the parts out of 1mm thick aluminium. Do not remove or adjust the sleeve screwed on the shaft or the cables to the box will be out of sync. 

Hope this helps.

IMAG1286.jpg

IMAG1287.jpg

IMAG1288.jpg

IMAG1289.jpg

IMAG1290.jpg

Something else I've just looked at is the bit that's screwed on the shaft has a locator on it so you will need one from a scrapped car to fit after the extension is done. It's to stop the top bit from rotating when you change gear, and also it has a spring between the know and the part you lift. The other possible thing I've thought about is not to extend too much as it will give a longer throw at the top so every time you put it in 1st, 3rd and 5th you may end up punching the stereo. Not a good move if you like you music...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club