Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr Clutch:- Where do i stand (They left the oil cap off my car engine)?

M Lam

Hi all, 

I had done oil service with Mr Clutch this Monday morning. After the service, I smell oil burning yesterday. I did went back and ask them about the smell. But, they say this is normal because after oil change, it will have this kind of smell and will go away within few days.

This evening (Tuesday), I opened the bonnet and found something shocking. They forgot to put the oil cap back to the engine. The oil splash out as the engine is running, it splash over the engine bay and the underside of the hood. I was devastated. I going to Mr Clutch tomorrow. May I know where is my stand.

I was think to ask them to do the following
1. Clean the splashed engine oil
2. Change the oil again
3. Air-con re-charge and clean as I can smell oil burning in my car.

Any harm to my engine as I drive without the cap last 2 days? Do you think above will fix my problem? I going to do my MOT soon. Will the MOT think my car got engine oil leaking as oil is everywhere now after the splash.

All help and feedback would be appreciated

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3599.JPG

IMG_3601.JPG

IMG_3603.JPG

That happened once when I accidentally left the cap off our old Fiesta.  As long as the oil level hasn't dropped below the minimum mark on the dipstick, it will be fine.  I'd get them to clean up the oil from the engine bay, but to be honest there would be no benefit in changing the oil, as although oil has sprayed out it is very unlikely anything will have got in, especially after such a short period of time.

It does go to highlight however why you should ALWAYS check the oil level and cap after getting the car home from an oil change or any engine related repair, just like you should always check your lug nuts after getting the tyres done or anything else that requires wheel removal.  I learned that the hard way after National Tyres left one missing and the other three only finger tight! :shock:

• Like 4

you need to get that back to them and give them the chance to rectify the error. They should give the engine a clean with degreaser to get rid of the worst of the oil and top up oil as required. As for an aircon charge though, your barking up the completely wrong tree lol. Once the oil has been cleaned up and any residual oil burns off from the exhaust, the smell will pass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stef123 said:

you need to get that back to them and give them the chance to rectify the error. They should give the engine a clean with degreaser to get rid of the worst of the oil and top up oil as required. As for an aircon charge though, your barking up the completely wrong tree lol. Once the oil has been cleaned up and any residual oil burns off from the exhaust, the smell will pass.

Thanks for the reply. How about the air cleaning? It smell really bad in my car now :blush:

Just now, M Lam said:

Thanks for the reply. How about the air cleaning? It smell really bad in my car now :blush:

That'll most likely be down to the oil hitting hot surfaces and the fumes being drawn into the cabin. It'll clear once the oil is cleaned up.

• Like 3

I'd personally be asking for a gesture of good will, i.e. partial refund of your service fee for your trouble also!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, stef123 said:

That'll most likely be down to the oil hitting hot surfaces and the fumes being drawn into the cabin. It'll clear once the oil is cleaned up.

Thanks again

When they do the clean with degreaser, is there anything I need to be aware of because not only the engine got oil. They need to clean other part of the car around the engine too. I just worry their careless will cause more issues. 

Do you think they are professional enough to do the cleaning with degreaser? Do you think it will take long to perform this task, I need to back to office to work after they fix this?

I wouldn't trust Mr Clutch to do a clutch let alone anything else...  Think I'd want to check the sump plug is tight tbh!

I think they'll just spray brake cleaner around and wipe off the oil that's easily accessible, won't take long.  I doubt they've got a pressure washer or steam cleaner to do it properly.  Shouldn't matter about a bit of oil splash though, it won't damage anything, if anything it'll stop water and corrosion setting in! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

You are right. They just spray something on round and wipe off the oil that's easily accessible. Very unprofessional!!!. The whole process take less than 20 minutes

On 11/01/2017 at 10:00 AM, TomsFocus said:

I wouldn't trust Mr Clutch to do a clutch let alone anything else...  Think I'd want to check the sump plug is tight tbh!

I think they'll just spray brake cleaner around and wipe off the oil that's easily accessible, won't take long.  I doubt they've got a pressure washer or steam cleaner to do it properly.  Shouldn't matter about a bit of oil splash though, it won't damage anything, if anything it'll stop water and corrosion setting in! :biggrin: 

Guess what. After mine complaint to the customer service, they offer me a FREE MOT voucher to use for my car. I rejected it because I worry they might just ask me to repair the stuff which is not needed

8 hours ago, M Lam said:

Guess what. After mine complaint to the customer service, they offer me a FREE MOT voucher to use for my car. I rejected it because I worry they might just ask me to repair the stuff which is not needed

Lol, yeah I think I'd have done the same!

12 hours ago, M Lam said:

That's just an insult to offer that. God lord the manager who would have dealt with me would be in therapy for the next 5 years.

• Like 2

Surprised anyone with access to the internet would ever use Mr Clutch for anything! Awful company!

1 hour ago, synaesthesia said:

Surprised anyone with access to the internet would ever use Mr Clutch for anything! Awful company!

Same as Kwik-Fit...

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 4:56 PM, synaesthesia said:

What to do the groupon offer is really attractive

£39.99 for a winter interim service with a service stamp includes:

And with the 20% local groupon offer. I only need to pay around £32

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/mr-clutch-autocentres-2

• Check correct clutch operation (manuals only)
  • Carry out battery and alternator visual check
  • Carry out brake fluid test and report
  • Replace engine oil and oil filter (extra charge for fully synthetic oil special oils)
  • Check operation of PAS, auxiliary and fan belts (not timing belts)
  • Check operation and condition of washers and wipers
  • Check and record anti-freeze protection level
  • Check exhausts system for security and leaks
  • Check all steering and suspension joints for condition and security
  • Check all mountings and gaiters for condition and security
  • Check and report condition of tyres including spare
  • Check handbrake operation and travel
  • Stamp customers service book