Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk5 ford fiesta. Tachometer, boot release, rear demister. Anyone able to help please?

Taffyford

Hi there I have a ford fiesta mk5 x reg. I was hoping someone could help me out with a few things with my car. I can't seem to find the boot release button and I've looked everywhere! How can it not have one? Also there is no tachometer, that rev meter thing....I mean how can a car not have a rev meter I'm so confused?! And one last thing..does anyone mk5 owners know how to replace the tailgate contact plate because mines is broken and my rear demister is not working. Thanks for reading this and I hope someone can help me.

IMG-20170111-WA0003.jpeg

I had a mk4 fiesta S reg, it didn't have a rev counter or a boot release button, I think it was the encore spec, boot release is easy to add, rev counter is a bit harder.  As for the rear contact plate, you push it from the side with a screwdriver iirc, I had to do this when I added a boot release.  Have you tried tidying the contact plates and pins up with a bit of sand paper?  They look a bit worse for wear and this can stop the plates and pins getting a good connection.

do you ride a motorbike?  tachometer is what motorcyclists tend to say instead of rev counter . Anyway, why do you want one? I have had loads of cars without one, but not in recent years. whether the tickover speed is right or knowing when to change gear is down to the sound and feel of the car. you don't need a rev counter for it.

Internal boot release can be handy, but again not all cars have them.

as above, that contact plate does not look like it's had it, looks like it might clean up ok. probably less work in cleaning it than replacing it. but are you sure that's where the problem is?, could be other reasons why heated rear window not working (circuit tester/voltmeter would be useful)

Hi guys thanks for replying. Really useful information. I guess it doesn't have a boot release button then. I just thought all cars have them and maybe I couldn't find it. I don't really need it or the rev counter but I was curious as to why it doesn't have them as I thought it was basic. I don't know how to use a voltmeter but I'm thinking to get one as it might be handy. I am pretty sure the contact plate is the reason the demister is not working because if you can see in the picture..the third plate is damaged and dented and its not making contact with the pin. Do you guys thinks I could put like some conductive material in there so that when the boot is closed it can make a connection?Oh and i googled it to find the name tachometer as I thought everyone calls it that. Maybe I was being silly. Once again I appreciate the replies

Give it a quick clean first with some sand paper, I always found a sanding wheel on a dremel or similar worked very well, obviously do both the plates and pins.  If that doesn't work there's no reason placing conductive material on the plate to bring the level up wouldn't work.  Multi meters are very simple to use when you know how (YouTube / Google for tips) plus they're cheap and can be used for so many different uses, definitely worth investing in.