Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP!!! 2004 Ford Fiesta overheating issue

Bradley27

Hi, I'm new to this site and I've read all over trying to find if someone had a similar problem

So a couple of months ago my exspantion tank cap blew off and water went everywhere, was a one of thing at the time but recently it's has been happing a lot

I've had the car running and the expansion tank cap of and water will just start to rise then start over flowing till there hardly anything left in the tank, can anyone help me with this situation? Could it be the head gasket? 

PS.. I've recently had the radiator and thermostat replaced, also the temp gauge stays at normal 

On 11/01/2017 at 4:01 PM, Bradley27 said:

I've had the car running and the expansion tank cap of and water will just start to rise then start over flowing

Usually there are a couple of small tubes from the top of the engine & top of the radiator, back to the reservoir. Check these are not blocked, as they should let any gas in the system to the tank, rather than pushing coolant out.

Head gasket leaks will pressurise the coolant system quickly, well before it gets hot. There will usually be other symptoms, like water in the oil, grey emulsion inside the cam cover and in the crankcase ventillation hoses, smell of anti-freeze from the exhaust, white smoke from the exhaust. A garage can also check for combustion products (CO) in the coolant.

Might be worth replacing the tank cap as well, it may be damaged by now even if it was ok.

28 minutes ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Usually there are a couple of small tubes from the top of the engine & top of the radiator, back to the reservoir. Check these are not blocked, as they should let any gas in the system to the tank, rather than pushing coolant out.

Head gasket leaks will pressurise the coolant system quickly, well before it gets hot. There will usually be other symptoms, like water in the oil, grey emulsion inside the cam cover and in the crankcase ventillation hoses, smell of anti-freeze from the exhaust, white smoke from the exhaust. A garage can also check for combustion products (CO) in the coolant.

Might be worth replacing the tank cap as well, it may be damaged by now even if it was ok.

The hoses seem to be fine, i had used steel seal thinking it was the head gasket, and the problem has stopped... for now

So this is what is making me think that the head gasket has blown?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bradley27 said:

steel seal thinking it was the head gasket, and the problem has stopped

Pressurising the cooling system, especially if not overheating, that stops when Steel Seal is added - It is pointing to a small HG leak.

If the leak was small enough when caught, it might last quite a few years. Make sure you keep the recommended anti-freeze in it, it is a vital corrosion protector, and that corrosion can cause HG leaks.

I had a bad HG leak on my previous car (Vauxhall, ali head & block). I had not replaced the anti-freeze for years, as it still protected against freezing. But it was not the long life sort (Ford pink stuff is long life). Had the HG replaced at vast expense, then it started leaking again about 2 years later. I put some K-seal in, and it did stop the leak. Not sure how long it would have lasted, as the car failed MoT & was scrapped about 7 months later.