Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus sport no crank, no start

MJNicholl

After being stood over Christmas my Focus sport 1.6 petrol wouldn't start but I got it running after a jump start and the engine ran no problems. Having been stood for a further few days it again wouldn't start, even after charging the battery so I got a new battery, fitted it and expected the car to fire first time but still just clicks, no crank.  I've checked the battery with a multimeter whilst attempting to start and that's now fine; I've checked and cleaned battery terminals and connections; checked all the fuses (engine compartment and passenger footwell); switched out the starter relay with one known to work and still no joy.  Suggestions of where to look next gratefully appreciated before I have to bite the bullet and call someone out

Check your earth strap connections from the engine to the body and any others you can find.

They are so often overlooked on engine related electrical problems

Try give the starter motor a good tap  with the wooden handle part of a hammer

they sometimes stick and need a bash :smile:

Thanks for the replies guys. The earth straps are showing good continuity. Have been a bit reluctant to hit starter motor in case of damaging it but will give a go with rubber handled hammer if I can get at it...fingers crossed. Typically car is parked nose in on a sloped drive close into wall so may have to get the neighbours to tow me off so I can get at it more easily

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update...it was a stuck starter motor causing the problems but hitting it wasn't enough 'encouragement' to get it moving again, I had to bump start it. Luckily I live on a hill so once I'd got the car off the drive I quickly checked that the engine hadn't seized (by this stage I was double checking everything even though there was no reason at all why the engine should've seized); I put the car in second, handbrake off, and let it roll forward, which it did without any trouble. The engine finally fired when I jump started it and been behaving itself since but I have ordered a new starter motor so I can change it out rather than having to go through this again!  Thanks again for the help guys

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club