Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT advisory - exhaust getting corroded. question : what does that even mean, like which section ?

Fastlife91

Hi brothers, hi sisters :helpsmilie:

Well, my car had it's MOT last month, failed on brake pads ( I replace the discs too) and a split CV joint gaiter ( Which I also replaced) and failed on loose seat frame driver side front, paid a garage to weld that.

Well on the advisory was, exhaust getting corroded, well my question is this, which section of the exhaust is getting corroded, the front, middle, back box ???  as the form does not state which section should I assume it to mean the entire exhaust system ?

Are there any products to use on things like the exhaust to stop it from corroding further, how should it be applied e.t.c. ???

thanks and please don't forget to answer the bit where I ask which section of the exhaust is corroded, cheers 

This is the Ford Owners Club, not the psychic society.  How do you think we are to know what section it is?  And as for what it means...  Well, I don't think it could be any more self explanatory.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

This is the Ford Owners Club, not the psychic society.  How do you think we are to know what section it is?  And as for what it means...  Well, I don't think it could be any more self explanatory.

sorry, have I upset you ?

I don't know why people on this site like to start an argument almost every single time.

Basically if he puts on the form that the exhaust is getting corroded should I assume because he has not specified which section is corrode that he means the entire exhaust or what ?

6 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

sorry, have I upset you ?

I don't know why people on this site like to start an argument almost every single time.

Basically if he puts on the form that the exhaust is getting corroded should I assume because he has not specified which section is corrode that he means the entire exhaust or what ?

Yes.

29 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

Yes.

let's assume he does mean the entire exhaust, how difficult will it be for me to replace the entire exhaust system on said car ?

I have so far replaced

brake pads

brake discs

radiator

steering arms

track rod ends

glow plugs

thermostat

cv joint gaiter

wheel bearing   e.t..c

also does that anti corrosion stuff work on exhausts ??

cheers

(please answer so that I may not need to create a thread to seek answers to said question)

Honestly it doesn't really mean anything, the tester is just covering himself.

Exhausts all corrode due to the heat cycles and the water vapour in the air, if it's not blowing anywhere and the hangars are all still solid it's as good as it's going to be.

There's nothing you can 'fix' it with.  Just be prepared to replace part or all of it in the future, when it starts blowing or when a hangar breaks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Honestly it doesn't really mean anything, the tester is just covering himself.

Exhausts all corrode due to the heat cycles and the water vapour in the air, if it's not blowing anywhere and the hangars are all still solid it's as good as it's going to be.

There's nothing you can 'fix' it with.  Just be prepared to replace part or all of it in the future, when it starts blowing or when a hangar breaks.

well, my car is still loosing water, it's been over 1 year now since chemical test said head gasket was gone, but still unsure if it actually has or if it is picking up on it if the head gasket actually was replaced last year when they charged me over £800 (which warrantywise paid)

there is no symptoms at all, no power loss, no smoke, no oil/water mixing, just loosing water having to top up once a week or so (400 miles) I'd get the hg replaced but I also hear a clunk noise when bringing up clutch (been like that since a day after getting the car) also the turbo has play according to somebody I know, not giving any bad turbo symptoms, just cannot feel or hear it.

therefore I am considering just driving it until I get a new car, I just don't want to pay out a lot of money having to replace exhaust system with the condition the car is currently in, obviously if I got the parts and fitted them myself it would save money though I have never fitted an exhaust before but would definitely do it myself if It ever needs doing.

So should the exhaust be okay then like this time next year and when the MOT comes round in December ? ?

what are the anti corrosion things like that are made specifically for exhaustst and stuff, are they any good and how to use it ?

thank you so much

9 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

So should the exhaust be okay then like this time next year and when the MOT comes round in December ? ?

what are the anti corrosion things like that are made specifically for exhaustst and stuff, are they any good and how to use it ?

Yes, I would say the exhaust should be fine for many more months, I can't promise it'll last another whole year but you'll know if it starts blowing due to the noise. :smile:

I haven't seen any anti corrosion things specifically for exhausts.  If you mean things like underseal or wax oil they are applied to the underneath of the cars Shell rather than the exhaust.  It would just burn off when the exhaust warmed up if you put it there. 

You mentioned above about changing it yourself if necessary.  Exhausts are awkward to access without a lift, you have to lay on your back right under the middle of the car getting covered in lumps of rust (I would advise wearing goggles) and risking being crushed if the car falls.  Due to the heat and rust they often put up a fight and need a blowtorch or grinder to remove on older cars as well.  For the sake of ~£30 labour it's one thing that's not really worth doing yourself in my opinion.

• Like 1

Without seeing the exhaust how can you say "it should be fine for many more months"? 

MoT testers will see nearly all exhausts with some corrosion on, this tester's opinion at the time was that it was bad enough to need an advisory, therefore it needs attention before the next MoT, if the car is being used in the current weather, the salt on the road will only make the corrosion worse.

It's a pointless, vague advisory, if there's actually an issue they should've put which section and even explained what was needed to rectify it when he collected the car, I doubt they'd have passed up the chance to offer their exhaust fitting service lol.  If it was falling apart or blowing badly at the time of the test it should've failed, obviously it's not that bad and as it's not a structural part of the car there's no need to replace it until there's a noticeable issue. 

As you say, it's likely to need attention within the next year but he said he's looking at changing the car anyway, so why go to the expense of replacing it before it needs it.  Chances are it'll probably last until the next MOT even if it does start blowing in the meantime, it's not going to cause any other problems. 

Its an advisory so it's telling you to be aware that it is starting to corrode as others have said an exhaust will corrode unless they are stainless steel they last a lifetime (or should do).To be honest if it worries you the best bet is to get underneath yourself and have a look see if it want's changing or not ( after all it is just an advisory) The form will not tell you what part is rusty just that it is some ware .Have a look and see. Might be an idea to ask a friendly local Garage to put it on his ramps so that you can have a good look underneath then you can decide if it needs changing or not. Probably not as its not blowing.  And I have never herd of Anti corrosion stuff for exhausts they just have a finite lifespan unless they are stainless steal that lasts the lifetime of the car .Don't worry if you find your exhaust is rusty show me a car where it is not somewhere got a bit of rust on.

3 hours ago, MarksST said:

Without seeing the exhaust how can you say "it should be fine for many more months"? 

MoT testers will see nearly all exhausts with some corrosion on, this tester's opinion at the time was that it was bad enough to need an advisory, therefore it needs attention before the next MoT, if the car is being used in the current weather, the salt on the road will only make the corrosion worse.

Our Focus went through its MOT in 2012 with no advisories other than the rear trailing arm bushees, and then less than 6 months later the exhaust literally "fell off" whilst driving down the road, due to excessive corrosion. 

MOT advisories are about as much use to me as a bicycle is to a fish.

if its just an advisory then just drive the car until the exhaust falls off or it fails an MOT , then replace it.

i wouldnt do anything about right now.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, biff55 said:

if its just an advisory then just drive the car until the exhaust falls off or it fails an MOT , then replace it.

Agreed!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yes, I would say the exhaust should be fine for many more months, I can't promise it'll last another whole year but you'll know if it starts blowing due to the noise. :smile:

I haven't seen any anti corrosion things specifically for exhausts.  If you mean things like underseal or wax oil they are applied to the underneath of the cars shell rather than the exhaust.  It would just burn off when the exhaust warmed up if you put it there. 

You mentioned above about changing it yourself if necessary.  Exhausts are awkward to access without a lift, you have to lay on your back right under the middle of the car getting covered in lumps of rust (I would advise wearing goggles) and risking being crushed if the car falls.  Due to the heat and rust they often put up a fight and need a blowtorch or grinder to remove on older cars as well.  For the sake of ~£30 labour it's one thing that's not really worth doing yourself in my opinion.

Hey

Well as I said the car still has problems that are unsolved (such as suspect head gasket though even 1 year later no symptoms apart from water loss ) and I don't want to be throwing money at it because if I throw money at it I may as well get the other things investigated and replaced which may cost more money than I should be spending no it, if it needs word doing to it then I will give it a good go and replace/fix things on it myself. 

the product I am looking at is £10.99 form eBay UK , it is  this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-PRO-ZINC-ALUMINIUM-High-Temperature-Primer-Spray-Anti-Corrosion-Car-Exhaust-/252702811881?hash=item3ad642e6e9:g:Aq4AAOSw-0xYZlTA

Anti corrosion car exhaust high temperature primer spray. 

I did not say I am looking to get rid of current car before next MOT ( in December) though from this month I am saving for a new car. I may even get the HG replaced on this car but then I'd probably feel I'd have to replace all the other things which will result in quite some cost. or I can just keep driving it e.t.c.  until I get my new car. 

But, if when the MOT comes round it need the exhaust replacing I may as well just do it now because A, I'd have more use out of the exhaust and B. so I'm not worrying about it.

so do you think that spray will be any good ?

cheers

3 hours ago, biff55 said:

drive it until the exhaust falls off, like it's okay if it falls off onto the motorway ??!

thanks but no thanks, not taking said chance 

7 hours ago, Gizza11 said:

Its an advisory so it's telling you to be aware that it is starting to corrode as others have said an exhaust will corrode unless they are stainless steel they last a lifetime (or should do).To be honest if it worries you the best bet is to get underneath yourself and have a look see if it want's changing or not ( after all it is just an advisory) The form will not tell you what part is rusty just that it is some ware .Have a look and see. Might be an idea to ask a friendly local Garage to put it on his ramps so that you can have a good look underneath then you can decide if it needs changing or not. Probably not as its not blowing.  And I have never herd of Anti corrosion stuff for exhausts they just have a finite lifespan unless they are stainless steal that lasts the lifetime of the car .Don't worry if you find your exhaust is rusty show me a car where it is not somewhere got a bit of rust on.

hi

so how do I check the exhaust for evidence of corrosion please ?

here is the product I am considering , here is the link for it, it is a high temperature primer spray, please take a look and give me your thoughts regarding it 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-PRO-ZINC-ALUMINIUM-High-Temperature-Primer-Spray-Anti-Corrosion-Car-Exhaust-/252702811881?hash=item3ad642e6e9:g:Aq4AAOSw-0xYZlTA

6 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

drive it until the exhaust falls off, like it's okay if it falls off onto the motorway ??!

thanks but no thanks, not taking said chance 

In that case replace it now.  None of us are psychics, and without seeing the car we cannot say how long it will last. 

If you are not capable of looking at it yourself and making your own judgement, then take it to a God-damn garage. 

• Like 1

Easiest thing to do is either take it back and ask the tester how badly corroded it is, or get on your hands and knees and look at it. You will see how rusted it is. You will know when its near breaking point as itll be flaking and most likely blowing. If it bothers you have it replaced or have a full stainless system made. As said, we havent seen the car so we wont know what section the tester means. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

hi

so how do I check the exhaust for evidence of corrosion please ?

here is the product I am considering , here is the link for it, it is a high temperature primer spray, please take a look and give me your thoughts regarding it 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K2-PRO-ZINC-ALUMINIUM-High-Temperature-Primer-Spray-Anti-Corrosion-Car-Exhaust-/252702811881?hash=item3ad642e6e9:g:Aq4AAOSw-0xYZlTA

You look at the exhaust, and see if there is any corrosion on it!!! 

1 hour ago, jmurray01 said:

In that case replace it now.  None of us are psychics, and without seeing the car we cannot say how long it will last. 

If you are not capable of looking at it yourself and making your own judgement, then take it to a God-damn garage. 

Wait....what ?   Why shall I replace the exhaust on my car ''now'' ?  I'm not experiencing any problems with said exhaust which is why I'm baffled to some degree to why it was on the MOT advisory as getting corroded, it is obviously okay at the minute but this suggests a future problem. You basically said above just keep driving until the exhaust falls off or starts blowing, so what you implied above about driving my car until the exhaust falls off is in my opinion absolute ludicrous !  

oh, and I notice you didn't offer any advice on the high temperature primer for car exhausts to which I posted the link on this thread. 

56 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

You look at the exhaust, and see if there is any corrosion on it!!! 

And what exactly does corrosion look like Mr expert ?!

Is it like flaky metal on the exhaust or something, should I be looking for rust on the exhaust, , what exactly shall I be looking for ?!"

because apparently all exhausts have some amount of rust due to heat e.t.c.  so how do I know which is the normal which and which is not ???

1 hour ago, Tomson said:

Easiest thing to do is either take it back and ask the tester how badly corroded it is, or get on your hands and knees and look at it. You will see how rusted it is. You will know when its near breaking point as itll be flaking and most likely blowing. If it bothers you have it replaced or have a full stainless system made. As said, we havent seen the car so we wont know what section the tester means. 

hello, thank you for your kind reply.

I just wonder if I go back to said garage that the tester will have forgotten which section was corroded and will want to charge to put it back in the air to check it. I do feel he should have stated if it was all the exhaust or partial of the exhaust that was beginning to corrode. 

what do you think of the product to which I have linked the item above ? do you think it is of any good ?

cheers

12 hours ago, Fastlife91 said:

hello, thank you for your kind reply.

I just wonder if I go back to said garage that the tester will have forgotten which section was corroded and will want to charge to put it back in the air to check it. I do feel he should have stated if it was all the exhaust or partial of the exhaust that was beginning to corrode. 

what do you think of the product to which I have linked the item above ? do you think it is of any good ?

cheers

The tester wont charge you for asking what section of the pipe is corroded, especially when he/she has failed to mention which section was referred to. Corrosion is easy to spot in this case as its rust. Itll be orange/brown, typical rust coloured. You will see it a mile off with a torch - even your mobile using the LED torch will be good enough. Exhausts corrode/rust - they are on the underside of the car, open to the elements. If its been mentioned it means its been rusting for some time and you should consider changing it within the next 12 months (as long as the tester is a geniune person and hasnt lied to make you spend money at their shop)

Dont forget, garages are under alot of work and stress trying to make money and keep a roof over their heads. So dont be surprised if their not 100% detailed on the advisory section - you have been given an area of advisement, so be aware to have it checked or replaced soon.

Also, reading above, dont be so quick to be defensive or cofrontational. The reason youre experiencing arguments and challenges is because of the way in which you respond. We arent here to attack you or cause upset so dont be quick to make that judgement. Dyspraxia isnt the easiest condition for others to understand - Not your fault. But just try to bite your tongue before respond with something like "Mr Expert". You will find yourself very stuck, very quickly. We are here to help. What may appear to you as others being mean is actually them trying to help you understand what youve asked in the beginning.

Example:

"how do i know if something is rusted" ...well, you have a look. 

Or:

"which section is corroded" ...well, without photos or seeing the car, we cant possibly know. We know as much as you do at this point.

There not smart ***** answers bud, theyre honest answers. Just some may say it tongue in cheek but thats how we are mate, all here to help but also to pull each other's leg.

keep smiling mate, but just hold back from backlashing toward others.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club