Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cooling - Thermostat?

focusdriver

I bought a 55 plate 1.8 TDCi 88K with no service history.

It's now had new oil, oil filter, air filter, battery and alternator.

One thing though - the temperature light is always slightly to the left of dead center (about 3 mils), and today it went down to a quarter for a few seconds and then back to it's position off the center.

I know it could be the needle or the sensor but is it worth getting the thermostat replaced? I think they're pretty cheap but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks.

One thing though - the temperature light is always slightly to the left of dead center (about 3 mils), and today it went down to a quarter for a few seconds and then back to it's position off the center.

I know it could be the needle or the sensor but is it worth getting the thermostat replaced? I think they're pretty cheap but just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

Thanks.

I don't think my Focus temp light is dead centre either, think its ever so slightly to the left but less than the 3 mils you describe. You say the car had no service history and that you have changed oil, oil filter, air filter, battery and alternator. Has the fuel filter been changed? Might be worth doing as without a service history you will not know the last time this was changed.

hillmangimp, No, the fuel filter hasn't been changed. How much should it cost roughly to do this from a garage?

Thanks

hillmangimp, No, the fuel filter hasn't been changed. How much should it cost roughly to do this from a garage?

Thanks

Couldn't tell you how much a garage would charge as I did it myself. If memory serves me correct filter was approx 15 quid (i think). Garage will obviously charge for labour-probably 30 mins to make it worth their while. The filter should be changed every 3 years/37,500 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

By temp light I presume you're talking about the gauge? My 1.6 petrol focus is just shy of 90 degrees (about 3mm to the left as you describe) when up to temp. (90 degrees centigrade being when the needle is bang in the middle pointing upwards).

I had a saxo which did as you describe (get up to temp and then go back down again) and replacing the 'stat sorted the problem. I presumed it was sticking open.

It would be a good idea to replace the fuel filter but I don't think it's in any way linked to your problem. Good luck

Thanks.

If you heater is hot it is probably sensor that's faulty but if your heater is on the cool side when the guage drops then you need to replace the thermostat.

be surprised if thermostat coz if was stuck open in this weather as rog said, wouldnt get much of a heater!!

I don't think it is the thermostat because from a cold start the temperature rises to just below half way then drops to 1/4 then back to just below half way. The dip must be when the thermostat opens I think.

I'm getting the fuel filter changed in the next few weeks.

Maybe I'm just stuck with the temperature needle off centre.

I don't think it is the thermostat because from a cold start the temperature rises to just below half way then drops to 1/4 then back to just below half way. The dip must be when the thermostat opens I think.

I'm getting the fuel filter changed in the next few weeks.

Maybe I'm just stuck with the temperature needle off centre.

my old passat was the same it was just slightly off i had it checked and the guy said it happens at the factory sometimes its just the wawy the gauges are made guy !Removed! from the night before was a little off that day if the top hose is hot the rads hot and it aint over heating i wouldnt worry about it

OK - Thanks artscot79 - feel a bit less worried about it now.

Anywhere between the lower white section and the upper red section is classed as normal running temperature. Mine sits just below dead centre and drops a little when the thermostat opens. Nothing unusual considering the recent temperatures.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club