Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Throw out bearing noise when engine in idle?

dh3lia

Hello all,

This noise became worse today, when I start the engine the noise comes up instantly and it's gone in the moment when I press the clutch pedal.

My question is: can I still drive the car without having problems on the road? It's a 2007 fiesta with 83000 miles. What's the worst that can go wrong? 

Here is the recording, thank you for your help! 

Sounds like it could be the clutch release bearing in the gearbox. If it is its a gearbox out job. Would be an opportunity to change the clutch to a new one at the same time might as  well as the gearbox is out. But don't worry to much this is a common fault and the bearing is unlikely to break its just noisy and annoying you can still use the car o.k until you get it changed.

Thank you very much for your advice! It looks like the noise is happening only very randomly. More often it's fine. So for now I won't worry about it too much. Thanks again!

would a clutch release bearing really make a noise when your foot is not on the clutch?  if your foot is not on the clutch isn't the clutch release bearing dormant and not moving at all?

isn't it more likely to be something to do with gearbox input shaft? If in neutral without your foot on the clutch the gearbox input shaft is spinning with the engine but not under load so any play in it can rattle.  when you put your foot on the clutch the gearbox input shaft stops spinning.

I am not saying it is definitely not the clutch release bearing. what do others think based on the logic I have used here?

IME the release bearing only makes a noise when you have your foot on the clutch.

Otherwise it's stationary. These (30? years back) used to be carbon rings, these days (10? years back) they're ball races.

• 2 years later...

Trow bearing on fiesta petrol is always on preasureplate and its spinning allways, with pressed clutch or not its spinning

I have a similar noise in my focus 1.6 ti-vct, petrol, but it's not as loud as this. Everybody told me that it's the throwout bearing, but when the engine is warm enough I cannot hear it. 

That is nothing, its normal... i had it fo 7 years on fiesta mk5

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with my 2015 Fiesta eco boost that same sound when the clutch was up took it to ford and it was the gearbox and it was over a grands worth of work annoying as the car had only done 34000 miles

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club