Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Acceleration issue

clarky81

My sons 2005 Mk2 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol went into the garage to have the timing belt and water pump replaced and the two front wheel bearings replaced. When the car was collected it was slow getting to speed up through each gear change and when at 62 mph it struggled to get any faster, this is with the foot to the floor. It also experienced a a strange loss of power when going around a bend to the right in 3rd gear a couple of times but picked up speed slowly again without doing anything other than putting the accelerator to the floor. 

The car had no issues like this before going into the garage but first thought is it must be something to do with the new timing belt or something doing the process of fitting it or is it just a coincidence. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Go back on what's been done and it points to the timing belt take it back to them

• Like 1

It is going back tomorrow morning but wanted to prepared in case they try and blame it on the turbo, injectors or some other issue.

it ran ok when you took it in so should be ok when you get back

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clarky81 said:

It is going back tomorrow morning but wanted to prepared in case they try and blame it on the turbo, injectors or some other issue.

I don't think the 1.6 petrol MK2 has a turbo so if they pull that card on you, they're talking rubbish, but they might be honest and forgotten something as simple as a sensor.

• Like 1

wondering if they have the belt one tooth out

• Like 1

I did mention when I contacted the garage that the belt may be a tooth or two out and he said "it's hard to miss a tooth as both head and block are locked off with pins".

Update - spoke to mechanic this morning and he said he couldn't find anything wrong with the car. I asked about the poor acceleration and he said he didn't notice anything wrong with the acceleration. Makes me wonder if he has even tested it as I have never experienced such poor acceleration in any vehicle I have driven. I have told him I am taking it for a second opinion as he is adamant all the work he has done has been checked again and is fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club