Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is the difference between a set of £18 glow plugs and a set of £70 glow plugs ?

Fastlife91

What would be the difference between a set of £70 glow plugs and a set of £18 glow plugs, don't they do the same job ??

Basically I suspect my glow plugs to be faulty, I bought a new set for £32 but still my car smokes after overnight start-up so I decided to take them back out, to make sure they are tight enough e.t.c. but in doing do I mixed up the new ones that I just took out with some old ones I had lying around and the condition of the used is unknown.

So I want to buy another set of 4 glow plugs and am looking at a cheap set online for £18 and hope that the new set of glow plugs cure the problem, but when is the difference in a set of glow plugs at £18 and a set of glow plugs at £70 ? 

I don't want to buy this cheap set and still get the same problem and somebody tells me the cheap ones are no good and I have to go get yet another set of glow plugs.

can anybody give some light on this ?

thanks

About £52. :wink:  

With such a big price difference I would check they are both for the same engine.  What is the brand of the cheap ones?

Cheaper plugs are usually made from lower grade materials, they don't get as hot and don't last as long basically.

I'd always stick to Beru or Bosch myself.  But for my 1.6TDCi they were about £40 iirc, £70 sounds quite a lot.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

About £52. :wink:  

With such a big price difference I would check they are both for the same engine.  What is the brand of the cheap ones?

Cheaper plugs are usually made from lower grade materials, they don't get as hot and don't last as long basically.

I'd always stick to Beru or Bosch myself.  But for my 1.6TDCi they were about £40 iirc, £70 sounds quite a lot.

hey

so would the £18 still do the same job of starting up my car   as good as the £70 set ?   I am not sure the cheaper set has a brand, I'd have to re check

I just want to buy a cheap set to eliminate the problem, as I said I don't even know if the cause is the glow plugs, but would the £18 set be sufficient enough for me to get my answer ?

jus that I don't want to buy the cheaper set for somebody to tell me the cheap ones are no good and I need to go buy yet another set of plugs.

thank you

39 minutes ago, stef123 said:

52 quid lol 

good 1, I give you that lol

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Fastlife91 said:

hey

so would the £18 still do the same job of starting up my car   as good as the £70 set ?   I am not sure the cheaper set has a brand, I'd have to re check

I just want to buy a cheap set to eliminate the problem, as I said I don't even know if the cause is the glow plugs, but would the £18 set be sufficient enough for me to get my answer ?

jus that I don't want to buy the cheaper set for somebody to tell me the cheap ones are no good and I need to go buy yet another set of plugs.

thank you

When I had a Cavalier 1.7TD (I'll wash my mouth out with soap later) I used to buy Halfords glowplugs for £24 rather than Vauxhall £100+ set. I was lucky to get a year out of them. The first cold night of the winter and I'd get a puff of smoke out the back, check the plugs and hey presto one would be a duffer. Buy cheap and you'll buy twice or more.

53 minutes ago, Russ said:

When I had a Cavalier 1.7TD (I'll wash my mouth out with soap later) I used to buy Halfords glowplugs for £24 rather than Vauxhall £100+ set. I was lucky to get a year out of them. The first cold night of the winter and I'd get a puff of smoke out the back, check the plugs and hey presto one would be a duffer. Buy cheap and you'll buy twice or more.

so are you suggesting the cheaper glow plugs may puff out smoke and act as though faulty ones do ?  

let me know asap,  cheers

I'm suggesting they will not last as long!

31 minutes ago, Russ said:

I'm suggesting they will not last as long!

but while they do last, will they start up the car okay without any problems e.t.c. e.t.c. ?

1 hour ago, Fastlife91 said:

but while they do last, will they start up the car okay without any problems e.t.c. e.t.c. ?

Obviously.

13 minutes ago, Russ said:

Obviously.

okay, it's just that someone on this thread said they bought cheap glow plugs and on the first cold night or day it smoked from the exhaust due to the cheap glow plugs, so if I buy the cheaper ones at £18 will there be no smoke from my exhaust due to the cheap glow plugs ? cheers

think you`ll find you`ll always get smoke from the exhaust even if the plugs are cheap or expensive :smile:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, andypsp said:

think you`ll find you`ll always get smoke from the exhaust even if the plugs are cheap or expensive :smile:

Urm, why ?

Never had smoke from my car on start up until about 1 or 2 months ago.

And the smoke from my exhaust over the last month or so on start up is very very bad, way beyond normal and when you hit the accerator the car kind of shakes/misfires but after a minute or 2 from start up it drives great all day/night. no engine codes on dash

A £70 set of glow plugs is peanuts on your £8500 spend over 5 years just go for it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stef123 said:

A £70 set of glow plugs is peanuts on your £8500 spend over 5 years just go for it.

but I've replaced the glow plugs twice already in the past 6 months and as said the glow plugs may not even be the problems so this is just to rule them out really.

and because I have already spent so much on car repairs is why I'm no longer prepared to keep paying out anymore and doing repairs myself and am going for the same items as new but cheaper when possible

I've just checked, a set of Bosch plugs for your car cost £40 from ECP (with their current discount code).  Beru are only a few quid more, and NGK a bit more still.  I can't find any for £70.

I tried a non-branded set on an old IDI and they just didn't get as hot so needed 2 or 3 heats to start without and grumbling and coughing, and lasted literally a couple of months...  Absolute rubbish so I ended up buying a decent set anyway.

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I've just checked, a set of Bosch plugs for your car cost £40 from ECP (with their current discount code).  Beru are only a few quid more, and NGK a bit more still.  I can't find any for £70.

I tried a non-branded set on an old IDI and they just didn't get as hot so needed 2 or 3 heats to start without and grumbling and coughing, and lasted literally a couple of months...  Absolute rubbish so I ended up buying a decent set anyway.

hey friend, would appreciate if you can reply as soon as because  want to make an order from eBay UK this morning, just want some advice first.

found some glow plugs online (eBay UK) at £24, they are pureglow with  core technology to heat up faster and hold heat longer, do these seem any good ?

just noticed a set of Beru plugs at £26, which are best ?

• Like 1

I haven't heard of Pureglow so don't know if they are any good or not.

I would go for the Beru ones myself. :smile: 

9 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I haven't heard of Pureglow so don't know if they are any good or not.

I would go for the Beru ones myself. :smile: 

yeah, just states they heat up faster and keep heat longer so am just wondering if they will be better than the beru ones, there is only a £3 - £4 price difference but as this is the 3rd pair in 6 months I want to make sure I get the right ones and good ones. As I say it may not even be glow plug related.

2 questions please.

I have no torque wrench, so I hand tighten them, I stop when they are snug and make sure they are not loose, question is, will it affect the starting if they are not all in at the same tightness or will they be okay so long as they are all in tight ?

2. so which of the 2 sets of glow plugs do you recommend I go for ?

please reply asap, thanks a lot

Don't trust everything you read in an advert.  They're not going to sell many if they just list them as 'cheap rubbish' are they! :laugh:   As I say, I don't know if those particular ones are any good, I wouldn't just believe their advert myself.  I would still go with Beru as I have personal experience of them.

As long as the plugs are in tight enough that no air can leak past them they will be absolutely fine. 

34 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Don't trust everything you read in an advert.  They're not going to sell many if they just list them as 'cheap rubbish' are they! :laugh:   As I say, I don't know if those particular ones are any good, I wouldn't just believe their advert myself.  I would still go with Beru as I have personal experience of them.

As long as the plugs are in tight enough that no air can leak past them they will be absolutely fine. 

cheers

I think I shall go for the BERU ones then.

I have about 10 used Bosch ones in my drawer that somebody gave me, not exactly sure how to test them but I used the multimeter and they all get about 0.009, but when I try swapping them around in my car it still smokes on startup so take it they may be bad ?

How do I actually know when they are in tight enough, I mean they feel tight but how will I know for sure when fitting new ones in?

oh, and I notice when putting the glow plugs in that 2 of the plugs go in further than the other 2, I think it is the 2 end ones that go in the furthest, why is that ?

ty

edit: I just bought the beru ones from online at £26

Denso get good reviews but I have no personal experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jonro2009 said:

Denso get good reviews but I have no personal experience.

thank you very much

can you please answer the question above please

thank you very much
can you please answer the question above please

Sorry bud, I have never changed plugs. I've only ever owned petrol motors. I don't want to give you false information. Can't go wrong with the Beru ones going off chat in other forums.

Here's me testing a set of glow plugs before I spend any money lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2