Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best time to buy a new car?

samzs1

Current on an Options plan and want to get a new car (Fiesta ST) - however I can't decide when is the best time to buy. Is there typically more marketing/ discounts in February in terms of clearing old 66 plate stock? And if not planning to keep car, does a 66 plate rather than a 17 plate matter? 

Also a recent Ford Privilege member - hence not sure if these offers also vary from month to month?

Thanks!

If your a cash buyer the best time to buy is November/December or through a car broker. Anything else is what the manufacturer/dealer has to offer.

Try to time it with financial quarters.  Buying at the end of a quarter usually makes salesmen a little more desperate, should they be a car or two below their target.

Also, buying with cash doesn't always help as they can get commission on selling financial products as well.  So if you are planning to buy for cash, see what deal they will offer you for a financial product.  There is nothing stopping them from selling it to you and you paying it off within the cooling off period :)

Went for a 16 reg instead of 66 reg just before the 66 came out, shopped around on the net for a new Fiesta and got a quote with a saving of £4.500.00 printed it off and went to my local Ford garage and they price matched the quote and ordered a new Fiesta TitaniumX with extras. Just thought that I would pass on my experience.

"does a 66 plate rather than a 17 plate matter"  depends how long you want to keep it. The longer you keep it the less it matters.

I would think some would probably have monthly targets, not just quarterly

6 minutes ago, isetta said:

I would think some would probably have monthly targets, not just quarterly

Yes they would. But accounts are done on a quarterly basis, so towards the end of a quarter, you are more likely to find something.

Ah I see! Thanks for the replies all. 

I think taking it out on finance seems to make sense, and I wouldn't be likely to keep it for longer than 9-12 months before switching it (it often works out when on Options, as long as your current car isn't in huge negative equity). 

Considering everything that's been said, is it worth waiting until end of Q1 (March), or simply before the new plate change (February)? 

Best deal I have found so far is a ST3 for £16,500 (including the £1600 deposit allowance when taken on finance). This is without the privilege discount. Does it get much better than this? Worth waiting to see future marketing promotions?

Thanks!