Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Zetec 03 Chirping Sound

AnthonyN

Good afternoon everyone, I hope you are well.

I will start this off by saying I have no clue what so ever about cars, i have only been driving for 11 months and I don't really know anything technical.

I'm thinking of booking the car in for a cam belt change, unless you guys think otherwise.

Firstly, the car has done 88k miles and has always been previously serviced at Allen Ford religiously every year. However, when i bought it the dealer hadn't got any receipts for work done so i was unsure if a change had previously been made.

The last few weeks the car has been making noises when accelerating under load. If I am rolling really slowly and pull off in 2nd (i know i shouldn't) it makes a squeaking noise for a second. If I'm driving and I change gear a little to early the car makes a chirping sound while its picking up the strain for about 2-3 seconds. Any other time the car is fine, not a sound out of place. I don't know if the cam belt should always make a noise if it is on the way out or whether each case is different.

Does anyone know what this sound definitely is please?

Thank you all for your time and thoughts in advance.

Not sure about other people, but I had this issue and I had to change my clutch!

• Like 1

Have you previously had the cambelt done or will this be the first time since 2003? 

Pull off in first unless you have enough speed to drive off in 2nd, riding the clutch can sometimes cause noises

• Like 1

Thank you both, I am not sure if it was done previously as this is my first year of owning it. It has been regularly serviced at a Ford dealership so i would imagine it had previously been done, but its not guaranteed.

I am hoping it is not the clutch!

As for the pulling off, i know that i shouldn't have pulled away in second and i don't do it very often, but the noise was never there before, and now it is i want to try and get it sorted.

I'm old enough to remember the times when you'd regularly hear drive belts squealing on cars because the wheel was hard over and the power steering pump was putting load on... A short chirp could be from that ... Although the clutch at 88k would be favourite... I have a 1.8 Ford XLD (Orion Engine) in my boat, and when re-launched at the start of the season, it regularly needs a little tweak to the alternator belt to stop the squeal when the alt starts to charge the 3 domestic batteries... It would be a relatively easy thing to check as well

• Like 1

Thank you for that Guzzilazz! Im tempted to hold off on the cam belt change now and just keep monitoring the noise and feel of the car.

31 minutes ago, AnthonyN said:

Thank you for that Guzzilazz! Im tempted to hold off on the cam belt change now and just keep monitoring the noise and feel of the car.

Don't think the squeak and the cam belt are related... I don't know whether your engine is an "interference engine" or not, but the OHC stuff I've bought where things weren't known for sure, I'd change the cam belt to ensure I knew where I was...

• Like 1