Do Not Sell My Personal Information

07 ST Bonnet Catch

MickST3

Hi everyone,

I've read the various topics already on this site relating to busted or non functioning locks on the focus bonnet but none seem to address the problem I've got, or do they ?

My key pops the bonnet no problem when I turn it to the left but it won't release the catch when I then turn the key to the right ? Is this that stupidly designed security system everyone's been on about or something a bit different ?

I had a new one fitted about two years ago when that one broke which actually happened on the morning of my MOT !!!!

The famous bonnet issue again. 

If it has unlocked when turned left and then you turn key to right and you cannot open the bonnet that would mean the actual arm may still be catching. 

Try lightly pushing the bonnet don't not enough weight that it closes again. 

Has the car been in any sort of front end bump? Bonnet misaligned? 

It does, as you say, open the bonnet on the left turn of the key but doesn't want to release it on the right turn which suggested to me that something was sticking instead of the actual cable being broken ? If I'm able to get the bonnet open is it a question of just greasing up the arm or using a copious amount of WD40 on it to hopefully put it right ?  I've had the car four years now & as far as i'm aware it's never been in any kind of shunt & certainly not since I've had it, the cable did break about two years ago right on the morning of it's mot & the garage went underneath to open it apparently & then fitted a new one so this has come out of the blue. 

Newbie here. I have the exact same problem as OP. Will try the 'put same weight on bonnet' approach. Why do things have to be so over-designed! Grrrrr.

Get a new bonnet latch for £16 and a uprated connection piece from eBay. a 10 minute job once you have the bonnet open. 

• Like 1