Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 Mondeo hatchback TDCi Rear Shock Replacement

Jambeers

Hi,

I have a squeaky rear shock on my Mondeo mk3 TDCI hatch, it's 13 years old now and got around 80k on the clock so i think it's time it's due a new set of shocks/springs. 
The front springs both snapped within 3 days of me buying it and the garage i got it from replaced them both for free so i'm looking only to do the rear.
I've never worked on suspension before so have a few questions:

1) To change the shock once the strut is removed, do you need spring compressors on the springs before removing the top mount/ when putting the strut back together?
2) What other parts is it work replacing when the rear struts are off? Drop links etc?
3) Any knowledge on good aftermarket springs?
finally,
4) Do yo know any good guides of doing this job?

Thanks in advance!

Replacing the shocks and springs on the rear of mk3 is quite simple. 

To answer your questions, 

1 - yes

2- possibly the drop links, sometimes I end up cutting them off. 

3 - I tend to fit Sachs springs but I've fitted a good few anschler springs now from euro car parts with no complaints. 

4 - can't help you with a link to a guide. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Replacing the shocks and springs on the rear of mk3 is quite simple. 

To answer your questions, 

1 - yes

2- possibly the drop links, sometimes I end up cutting them off. 

3 - I tend to fit Sachs springs but I've fitted a good few anschler springs now from euro car parts with no complaints. 

4 - can't help you with a link to a guide. 

Thanks for the speedy reply.

1) Do you have any preference for the type of these or will something like this off eBay do the job?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Spring-Compressor-Heavy-Duty-Car-Vehicle-Clamp-Suspension-Tool-2pcs-/252707948153?hash=item3ad6914679:g:MRMAAOSw-0xYbe9E

2) I had both the drop links off when i did the rear bushes, wish i'd done them then but forgot until i was under the car and couldn't get anywhere to buy them... 
Do you think anti-roll bar bushes are worth doing?

Thanks for the rest of the info!

All i will say is please be very vary of cheap spring compressors, If you have ever had a spring slip or fire off you'll know how dangerous a situation it is. I use a hydraulic compressor now but I change quite a few springs in a year so I can justify it. 

By rear bushes do you mean subframe bushes? I think personally its preference as they could be done at a later date as and when required but I do appreciate it would probably be worthwhile doing them on a 13 year old car. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club