Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 sound system

JamSlap

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a 2003 ford focus mk1 and I'm looking at upgrading the sound system in it (This is partly due to one of the Speakers sounding horrible) Im thinking of picking up a 750w sub and some 6x8 500w Speakers for the front. I read on another post that a new alternator would be needed otherwise the lights will dim with the stress of it all. I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar to this and is able to recommend one which would suit my needs. Many Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamSlap said:

Hello everyone

I recently purchased a 2003 ford focus mk1 and I'm looking at upgrading the sound system in it (This is partly due to one of the speakers sounding horrible) Im thinking of picking up a 750w sub and some 6x8 500w speakers for the front. I read on another post that a new alternator would be needed otherwise the lights will dim with the stress of it all. I was just wondering if anyone has done something similar to this and is able to recommend one which would suit my needs. Many Thanks!

If you could link me to where you read that ld be interested to see it myself.

the Speakers are one thing but you will also need a separate amplifier or amplifiers to enhance the audio levels from the headunit beyond the standard 50Wx 4 output.

fitting 500w Speakers sounds like a plan but you also need an amplifier to get 500w out of the speakers; if not then you won't get more than 50watts out of them.

you won't have any issues with the altinator and those figures; unless the altinator is at the end of its lifespan in which case you would just replace it.

a capacitor would help regulate draw from the battery but perhaps not required neither; depending on the class of amplifier or amplifiers purchased Class D wouldn't require a capacitor where Class A, B would and that's because there less efficent not better than a class D

tthen there are two types of amplifiers; mono and stereo 

stereo also known as "full range" amplifier boosts all signals from the headunit sending them to the speaker, you cant send full range audio to a sub as it will potentially separate from the cone because it doesnt have a tweeter to process anything over 50hz 

a mono amplifier is designed for bass only. only a mono amplifier can take in full range audio but it only passes on anything 50hz or below to the sub.

The only option for fitting a single amplifier to do sub and full range Speakers is by fitting a five channel amp which can in some cases cost 100gbp more than purchasing two separate units.

• Like 2

You'd also need to soundproof the hell out of your doors with amped Speakers in, else you'll just get vibrations :)

• Like 3

On 20/01/2017 at 1:54 PM, Lenny said:

If you could link me to where you read that ld be interested to see it myself.

the speakers are one thing but you will also need a separate amplifier or amplifiers to enhance the audio levels from the headunit beyond the standard 50Wx 4 output.

fitting 500w speakers sounds like a plan but you also need an amplifier to get 500w out of the speakers; if not then you won't get more than 50watts out of them.

you won't have any issues with the altinator and those figures; unless the altinator is at the end of its lifespan in which case you would just replace it.

a capacitor would help regulate draw from the battery but perhaps not required neither; depending on the class of amplifier or amplifiers purchased Class D wouldn't require a capacitor where Class A, B would and that's because there less efficent not better than a class D

tthen there are two types of amplifiers; mono and stereo 

stereo also known as "full range" amplifier boosts all signals from the headunit sending them to the speaker, you cant send full range audio to a sub as it will potentially separate from the cone because it doesnt have a tweeter to process anything over 50hz 

a mono amplifier is designed for bass only. only a mono amplifier can take in full range audio but it only passes on anything 50hz or below to the sub.

The only option for fitting a single amplifier to do sub and full range speakers is by fitting a five channel amp which can in some cases cost 100gbp more than purchasing two separate units.

Thanks for the answer its really helpful and clearly explained. Think Im going to wait and work out what I need to buy before going out and getting one. In regards to the alternator It wasnt really a post i read but more of word of mouth I had heard it from a few people I work with. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2017 at 2:02 PM, Jon84 said:

You'd also need to soundproof the hell out of your doors with amped speakers in, else you'll just get vibrations :)

Trust me Im already hearing the shakes :walkman:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JamSlap said:

Thanks for the answer its really helpful and clearly explained. Think Im going to wait and work out what I need to buy before going out and getting one. In regards to the alternator It wasnt really a post i read but more of word of mouth I had heard it from a few people I work with. 

No problem,

Any further questions feel free to ask 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club