Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New 2016 Ford Focus EcoBoost Titanium X Wi-Fi and Sat Nav

everway9

Hi everyone. :)

I hope you are all doing good today.

My father has bought a 2016 Ford Focus Titanium X EcoBoost. (Very nice car it is too) and I have a few questions for you.

In the in car entertainment system It has a wireless connectivity option. Can I connect it to my homes WiFi connection and if so could I download and install a sat nav application? It doesn't appear to have an existing sat nav application. If it does I have no idea where it is.

I know nothing about the SYNC application but I have read that you can connect it to and run apps from your mobile. My Dad has a Sat Nav app on his mobile. OK, I we could just use the phones sat nav on its own but it would be pretty cool if we could add a sat nav app or run the phones Sat Nav on the screen in the car.

So is any of this possible?

If any of you experts here could offer some advice I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew :)

14 minutes ago, everway9 said:

Hi everyone. :)

I hope you are all doing good today.

My father has bought a 2016 Ford Focus Titanium X EcoBoost. (Very nice car it is too) and I have a few questions for you.

In the in car entertainment system It has a wireless connectivity option. Can I connect it to my homes WiFi connection and if so could I download and install a sat nav application? It doesn't appear to have an existing sat nav application. If it does I have no idea where it is.

I know nothing about the SYNC application but I have read that you can connect it to and run apps from your mobile. My Dad has a Sat Nav app on his mobile. OK, I we could just use the phones sat nav on its own but it would be pretty cool if we could add a sat nav app or run the phones Sat Nav on the screen in the car.

So is any of this possible?

If any of you experts here could offer some advice I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew :)

What version of Sync ? 

My 2016 Ti X had Sync 2 and did not have the ability to connect Wifi beyond using it as a hot spot via a mobile phone data connection.  AFAIK it could not download apps etc.

Sync 3 was in builds from around Sep 16 and does allow for certain updates (not the Ford Nav maps) over Wifi.  Afaik apps use Applink via a mobile phone. So using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto you can mirror apps to the main screen but there may be limitations with some unless the car is stationary.

If you're not sure what version of Sync check Ford ETIS https://www.etis.ford.com/

Hi avi.

Thanks for the super fast reply.

I'm not sure what version of Sync we have but I'll check out the link you kindly provided and get back to you. 

4 minutes ago, everway9 said:

It has Sync II

I think you're out of luck mirroring the phone app to the Sync display in that case.

OK. So unless we fit a separate sat nav unit or use the phones sat nav we cant get any form of sat nav on the cars screen then? Could Ford themselves add sat nav or would that cost a heap of money?

Thanks again for your time. 

15 minutes ago, everway9 said:

OK. So unless we fit a separate sat nav unit or use the phones sat nav we cant get any form of sat nav on the cars screen then? Could Ford themselves add sat nav or would that cost a heap of money?

Thanks again for your time. 

When I enquired about retro fitting Fords own nav to Sync 2 I was told it's not an option available from Ford or Ford dealers  It appears some third parties may be able to retro activate Nav by hacking software to enable the use of Fords Sync app and SD card that contains the actual map info.  At face value it appear to be a software change that Ford isn't prepared to offer but it may be more involved than it seems as I decide to buy a car with nav.  

Some info on the retro fit here - 

Ford probably doesn't offer sat nav as much these days as the availability and wide variety of separate sat nav units and apps on mobiles is most likely cheaper and people probably prefer them to built in nav units.

Anyway... Thanks so much for your time and information, it's really appreciated. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club