Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus bonnet - no key

mikrt

Hi,

I was checking under the bonnet yesterday, and realised hours later when I needed to go, that I've slammed the bonnet closed with my only key under the bonnet.

There's plenty of help on here, google and youtube about when the key doesn't operate it properly by sticking a long screwdriver in to push a white plastic bush forward as you turn the key - absolutely no use to me I'm afraid.

Does anyone have any ideas please? I'm calling my insurance later to see if I have key cover or breakdown cover (I don't think so, but need to check before resorting to violence).

Then I guess maybe rip off the plastic grill?? No, there's no room to reach inside from under unfortunately.

Can I get another key cut if I contact Ford with my VIN number? No need for remote or immobiliser etc, just a blade

Any ideas really appreciated, Thanks in advance..

Ford does not have a key number database. It is not possible to order a key by the registration or VIN number. When the car was new it came with 2 keys and a tag that contains the key number. This number is needed to order pre-cut keys from Ford.

Some Ford dealer may have their own database of key (and audio key) numbers of all new Fords they sell. Some dealers also write the key number inside the owners or service booklet of the car.

Personally I would try to retrieve the key from under the car by using an endoscope and flexible grabber/pickup tool.

JW1982, that's not what Ford say

If you’ve misplaced your Intelligent Access key, or would like to buy a replacement key, follow these steps:

1. Contact or visit your authorized Ford Dealership.

2. Give them your Vehicle Identification Number.

3. The dealership will provide you with a new coded spare or replacement key.*

*There may be a charge for this service, so check with your Dealer first.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/how-to-replace-your-keys.html

get the car up o two stands, if its diesel take off the bottom cover, petrol no need, get a 10mm ratchet spanner onto the two 10s that hold the latch to the front panel you will have to pull it away from the front panel as it sits on two locater's and disconnect the plug then your in! sounds easy but a bit tricky on 1.6 dsl as the boost pipe runs across where you want your spanner

On 22/01/2017 at 10:35 AM, mikrt said:

JW1982, that's not what Ford say

If you’ve misplaced your Intelligent Access key, or would like to buy a replacement key, follow these steps:

1. Contact or visit your authorized Ford Dealership.

2. Give them your Vehicle Identification Number.

3. The dealership will provide you with a new coded spare or replacement key.*

*There may be a charge for this service, so check with your Dealer first.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/how-to-replace-your-keys.html

That is for the American market, totally different services than Europe.

You may be able to get an Auto Locksmith to read the door/bonnet lock and cut a key from that.

On earlier Ford's with Tibbe keys it was easy, I actually have a tool for opening tibbe locks and producing a cutting code but Laser blades (yours) are more tricky.

If you've got breakdown cover, give them a call and i'm sure they will be able to help. I once locked myself out and they had managed to open the door.

• Like 1

Hi all, thanks to you all for your suggestions.

I tried my insurance for key cover - no good, I don't have breakdown cover either :sad:

There is absolutely no room for access from underneath, it's a 1.6 cdti.

I resigned myself to wrecking the grill and cutting out the lock. But last minute with the tools in my hand I tapped a flat screwdriver into the keyhole and forced it anti-clockwise and bingo - it unlocked, but it wouldn't go the other way to unlatch it to open up. Luckily though just that 15-20mm gap gave me enough room to reach with the screwdriver and drag out the keys.

The lock still works with the key, though it doesn't feel 100% happy, so I'll get just a key cut from the blade to keep for the bonnet, before I wreck my only good key.

There are suppliers on an auction site who can supply coded cut keys for under £70, so the next time I'm near one of them I'll be getting a proper 2nd key.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club