Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headgasket failure on the 1L Ecoboost

MJNewton

Hi everyone,

I didn't find much in the archives on this but apologies if I missed it - happy to be pointed in the right direction rather than go round the buoy again...

I am trying to find out more information, if there is any, regarding catastrophic engine failures on the 1L Ecoboost (across all vehicles where used). I know all about the recall of some earlier models to replace the coolant pipe that had a plastic section to an all-rubber version but even where this has been done I am reading various reports of premature headgasket failure and wondered if anyone has any information they could share on the subject?

Much of my info so far has been anecdotal from a group on Facebook set up to discuss the issue but, as is admittedly understandable in the circumstances, its content is not quite as objective as I would like. There has been discussion on there regarding an apparently 'known fault' with the headgaskets of earlier models and that more recent models have a different gasket fitted. Looking through Microcat I couldn't find evidence that this is the case but I may well have missed something.

Has anyone here suffered failure of their 1L Ecoboost, whether due to the coolant hose, headgasket or some other cause and/or in a position to shed any light on the issue?

My car fiesta ecoboost 125 ps has got to go in under warranty this week due to leaking water pump car just over 2 years old 21,000 miles 64 plate , I was told by the technician under no circumstances let the coolant level get too low as the engine will blow up he said this has happened to many cars

Sent from my iPad

using Ford OC

Hi Matt,

So far i've not heard of anything post 2014 (i think!?) engines, however i have read a lot recently on the earlier engines but what only seems to be in the Focus. Not seen anything for the fiesta yet, but that doesn't mean there are none!

It's always enevitable that there will be the odd failure here there and everywhere, it's still a relatively newish engine i suppose. Are you looking to buy one with the 1.0L engine?

There's also a Facebook page here in Thailand (unfortunately in Thai) about this and the transmission issue. The water pump gasket failure at about the 3 year mark seems to be common also. While the Fiestas are assembled here most of the 1.0 Ecoboost engines seem to be from the Spanish plant. 

From my experience in a smaller ford dealership for 13 yrs, we only did 1 engine on a focus and that was due to the known coolant pipe breakage. Maybe our customers were lucky?? So out of the 1000's of ecoboosts we saw each year , 1 in 4 years.

• Like 3

Thanks for the replies everyone, and apologies for the silence on my part - must've forgotten to tick the notifications box!

It does seem like something of a non-issue (obviously not for those that suffer it) given that the numbers of reports still seems very low compared to the number of engines sold. As you've said Keith it does seem to be more of a Focus issue (wonder why?). I am also inclined to be somewhat more forgiving for an engine that has been designed from the ground-up as not amount of pre-production testing will uncover every potential issue, particular if those issues are down to individual components here and there.

Rich, yes I am indeed about to buy a 1L and I must admit that this issue has been the only point of concern against what otherwise seems to be a car with nothing but praise aimed at it.

• Like 1

was a focus problem due to the design and materials used on a small bore coolant pipe that went brittle due to the higher coolant temps on ecoboost. ive seen quite a few 120k mileage vehicles with no issues.

• Like 1

The coolant pipe isn't the only cause unfortunately though - a few on the Facebook group have still had engine failures despite having the recall work done. The suspicion seems to be pointing at the headgasket but no concrete evidence yet from what I can gather.

Well, i totally get your reservations for holding off buying one yet bud. I did the same on a mini cooper s 2007 plate because id heard of some issues around 60,000 miles where there were major issues with head gaskets and bottom ends going etc! Did a lot of research and decided against it purely because i didnt want to have to commit to a car which i knew would ***** itself (potentially) in x amount of miles. 

All i'll say in this case though, i've heard and seen less issues with the 1.0 than i did with the mini!

have you seen one you fancy yet or you still looking around? Ideally id say buy from a dealer just for some peace of mind.

Don't get me wrong; I don't have any reservations - I'm just interested in the (potential) issue that's all. If it came to it I would likely just drop a replacement engine if need be and strip the old for interest and spares.

I know someone that sources cars and so I'm buying one through him. One has come up that's going to be a trade-in with a Ford dealer but as the fellas new car isn't quite ready yet we're having to wait. Any day now though! (We were saying that a week ago though LOL)

• Like 1

Ah fair does pal i get you :yes:

Well you wont be disappointed with the car lad, awesome little engine, i drove a 100ps Zetec model before i bought mine and was smitten. Then decided to get the 140 version because im greedy! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Yeah I can't wait. It's actually for my wife but I think I'm more excited than she is!

The long(er) term plan, once/if any novelty etc has worn off, is to consider a Superchips remap to push it up to the claimed 140bhp/245nm mark just for that extra bit of extra poke.

• Like 2

bluefin my 100 focus to 140, makes a huge difference. been on for over 2 years and runs fine.

• Like 3

That's good to hear some first hand experience. I figured I ought to leave it a short while yet though then if anything does go wrong (however unlikely that might be) I will at least know it was likely down to me and not some latent fault that I might otherwise being looking at the warranty to cover.  

The Bluefin is the DIY dongle method right? I noticed that it's a little cheaper to take it to a Superchips place, presumably because you're not having to buy any hardware? I wondered also if taking it in might mean it gets dynoed before and after? (Perhaps if you wanted that you'd have to pay accordingly though)

42 minutes ago, iantt said:

bluefin my 100 focus to 140, makes a huge difference. been on for over 2 years and runs fine.

Ian you seem like the right person to ask I have a 1.6 TDCi (115PS) I have found a company that will map my car from Original 115BHP & 270NM to a Tuned 145BHP & 340NM

How well do the DMF hold up I don't want my clutch to start slipping far too early, currently on 52k

I can't comment on dmf longevity or clutch issues , not had experience of mapping diesels with dmf. I would start a new thread with that exact question then the dirty diesel boys who have had there's mapped will help .

My focus doesn't have a dmf. One of the reasons I bought it. Lol

I'm running around 160bhp from my 1.0 and going for more soon. Aiming for 175ish. 1.5bar of boost 

I've had no issues.. Well, cars currently in the garage with a knackered bypass valve with a new one due Tuesday, but headgasket wise it's fine. Currently on 27k and abused daily 

• Like 1

I'm running around 160bhp from my 1.0 and going for more soon. Aiming for 175ish. 1.5bar of boost 

I've had no issues.. Well, cars currently in the garage with a knackered bypass valve with a new one due Tuesday, but headgasket wise it's fine. Currently on 27k and abused daily 

What map do you use??

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

running 167 i believe, id have to find the graph

I'm not saying as I don't recommend it at all. Moving to revo stage 2 soon as soon as my car is running again

It might be useful for us to know if only so we know which to avoid! (Or have I misunderstood your response?)

3 hours ago, GingerFlame said:

running 167 i believe, id have to find the graph

I'm not saying as I don't recommend it at all. Moving to revo stage 2 soon as soon as my car is running again

And assuming it's not Revo that you're having a problem with, as you're going to Stage 2 with them??

No it's not revo :) revo customer service has been brilliant! I honestly cannot recommend them enough 

• 4 years later...

I have just bought a focus 2013 1tr eco boost and within 2 days I was faced with a £2000 bill as the head gasket had blown.. it is a common problem I'm told..😒

10 minutes ago, LEC said:

it is a common problem I'm told..

Yes !! ...........

and when your car is 10 years old or when it has done 150000 miles then you can spend about the same again to get the timing belt changed !!!