Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally have working speakers!!

Sack13

So after almost two years of having no sound in my Focus, I finally bit the bullet and decided to have a crack at getting the audio issues sorted!

Initially I had a mobile auto electrician diagnose the vehicle and he decided the stock Speakers were blown, so I took it upon my self to fit some new ones!

I purchased a set of 6.5" coaxials from amazon for £17 and set to taking the door card off. I drilled out the rivets hold the old cones in place, sawed off the old Speakers and got the gorilla glue handy to reuse the old housing. After this dried I rewired the Speakers, using the existing component lead and reattached to the door, a quick test and, success!! We have sound!! Pop riveted the housing back in, whacked the door card back on and, with less than 1mm clearance, the speakers sit perfectly!. Coupled with my new bluetooth/fm receiver I can blare the tunes once more! 

Small job, but proud all the same!

DSC_0815.JPG

DSC_0816.JPG

DSC_0818.JPG

DSC_0821.JPG

DSC_0822.JPG

• Like 2

2 years without tunes in your car, how did you cope? I need something to keep me entertained and to drown out the constant moan and whine from the NS portion of the car. I had wanted to do a speaker upgrade on my last car. I'm no stranger to audio builds and have no difficulty with wires and stuff but I have always been too afraid to drill out reverts and then try to replace them again. I should really watch a YouTube video or something but whenever I go on the site before I know it it's 3 am and I'm watching a monkey riding on e back of a pig! Oh, nearly forgot if anyone was trying to diagnose the previously mentioned whine, it's ok I know what it is. It's my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It was a struggle, at first I had one of those bluetooth shower Speakers which I stuck to the windscreen, but ended up just playing tunes straight from my phone, it's a hell of a difference now!

To be honest the rivet drilling did scare me somewhat, I used a large drill bit to form the rivet into a sort of umbrella shape, then used pliers to squeeze and manipulate them to a size where they would pop/push straight out either side. The rivet gun was fantastic though, best investment I've made in some time!

• Like 2

Ah right, I see. So you don't have to drill all the way through the rivet then, good idea to use the pliers to eases it through the gap. I've never owned a river gun before, I might have to get one now just to add to my arsenal of tools that I don't need or know how to work. My neighbours love me, it's like a branch of B&Q in my garage. I'm actually thinking of getting myself an orange apron, comb over and annoying squint.

Absolutely, best to not attempt to go all the way the way through in my opinion, just in case you damage the holes. The rivet gun I picked up was £7 from amazon, but I've seen one on the CPC website for just under 3 quid... Just ensure you have the right size rivets! 

• Like 2

I wouldn't know where to start with the sizes, are there different size guns and if so what size would be best for domestic kind of stuff?

This is the kit I picked up "Riveter Kit" which includes "4 of the most popular rivet sizes". The size of the gun itself doesn't really matter, larger the better I suppose, more leverage for a weakling like me! It's just the size of the rivet that counts. Just check the rivet against the size of the hole you're filling and you should be fine. In my case I used the largest provided with the kit.

• Like 1

In defence of my last comment, your comment appears totally blank but shows up in my quote. Odd.

Oh I thought you were making sexual references!! Haha

• Like 2

I used an old Nokia mobile with FM radio for a while in my focus as I had sold the Stock unit and was still saving for the Pioneer replacement 

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

• Like 4

I used an old Nokia mobile with FM radio for a while in my focus as I had sold the Stock unit and was still saving for the Pioneer replacement 
IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

I am amused by this [emoji23]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I am amused by this emoji23.png

True story 👍

• Like 1

Update to my situation, I've opted for a new cigarette lighter splitter to eliminate clutter in the centre console and near the handbrake/shifter.

The new one I've affixed to the centre console in the passenger footwell, which houses the bluetooth receiver perfectly, as well as the dashcam power input. (Which by the way, I've hidden the wiring for in the roofing material, run down the pillar and behind the glove box. Picking up a fuse adapter tomorrow so I can "hardwire" the cam straight to the fuse box! Why pay Shamfords £30 to do it when it's this easy?!)

DSC_0861.JPG

DSC_0864.JPG

17 minutes ago, Sack13 said:

The new one I've affixed to the centre console in the passenger footwell, which houses the Bluetooth receiver perfectly, as well as the dashcam power input. (Which by the way, I've hidden the wiring for in the roofing material, run down the pillar and behind the glove box. Picking up a fuse adapter tomorrow so I can "hardwire" the cam straight to the fuse box! Why pay Shamfords £30 to do it when it's this easy?!)

Ive created a guide on installing a dual dash cam system and in the process ive fitted a usb power socket inside the rear of the glovebox may be of interest to view Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

also my full list of Guides are here if interested 👇

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lenny said:

Ive created a guide on installing a dual dash cam system and in the process ive fitted a usb power socket inside the rear of the glovebox may be of interest to view Guide Fitting Dual Camera DVR System Focus Mk2 & Mk2.5Click Here 

also my full list of Guides are here if interested 👇

Just had a quick scan of your list and there are certainly some interesting topics there, I will have a proper read tomorrow! Starting with the dashcam of course! Thanks for the link!

• Like 1