Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 TDCI mk2.5 tyres

Focus Newbie

Hi guys, I need four new tyres on the new (to me) 1.6tdci mk2.5. At the moment she has Goodyears, NCT on the back, Efficient Grip on the front. have read a few boards saying the Goodyears have soft side walls, so wondering what tyres people are running? They are 17" alloys, looking for a good brand, but not at a price that's going to rip me a new one. Important to me is grip and braking, not so fussed about road noise. Thanks in advance

I have always favoured Uniroyals especially for the extra grip in wet weather

Hi John, are they the Rain Sport 3's? On my previous cars (Corsa / Jazz) I've always had Conti's (overkill I know) but they did the job and braking and grip were always great. With the new car and bigger alloys the price difference is big, especially when you need all four doing. I was also looking at Avon ZV7's, the Uniroyals are priced right between Avon and Goodyears

On 24/01/2017 at 1:53 PM, Focus Newbie said:

Hi guys, I need four new tyres on the new (to me) 1.6tdci mk2.5. At the moment she has Goodyears, NCT on the back, Efficient Grip on the front. have read a few boards saying the Goodyears have soft side walls, so wondering what tyres people are running? They are 17" alloys, looking for a good brand, but not at a price that's going to rip me a new one. Important to me is grip and braking, not so fussed about road noise. Thanks in advance

Hi ~Raj,

I have Goodyear efficient grip on mine. I'm no tyre expert but they seem pretty decent to me.  Good wet grip & economy at about £60 a piece which isn't bad for a premium tyre.  Got mine from Halfords autocentre recently for £58 per tyre.  

Thanks for the replies, I saw tyrereviews, and all bar one seemed to have good reviews of the Avons, I have previously always had pricier tyres on my cars, but when its only one tyre you are changing, £20 or so difference is not the end of the world. This time I need 4, so the price difference soon adds up. I've opted for the Avons, which were about £15 per tyre less than the Goodyear. Will update on how they are. Thanks again

Just a quick update, the Avons went on this Saturday, first real drive was into work this morning (30 minutes on dual carriageway and in town driving) and first impressions very good. Very grippy, no wheelspin (which I was getting with previous tyres) nicer ride into bends. Appreciate any brand new tyre will be different to older on irrespective of make, but so far quite impressed. Thanks for the replies!

• Like 1