Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2.5 1.8tdci Wastegate & Annoying rattle

Jono94

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out these two issues with my mk2.5 for a while now, so I guess it's time to ask you guys !

Wastegate

Over the past 3-5 months I have noticed a lot of wastegate noise when I change gear at around 2000-2200, has anyone else experienced this? If so what solved the problem? 

I have done all the usual checks, such as the EGR pipe and both intercooler pipes off everything looks ok. I have also had a mechanic take the turbo pipe off and there is no movement on turbo shaft.

Annoying rattle

I have had this rattle for a long time  and it seems to be a never ending mission of mine of trying to find! It originates from the back left of the car and is caused when it goes over potholes or uneven surfaces , anyone got any ideas on what the root cause might be? 

Thanks,

Jono

Would be interested in finding out if you manage to suss the wastegate noise.

I have a thread open further below (at time of writing here) as when my 1.8tdci is cold I get the wastegate flutter but when it warms up, I get a whistling/hoover noise. I've checked all the pipes and can't find anything, I have also checked play and I have also checked the actuator can move the vanes freely. 

Am at a loss with it.

I have a rattle from the front right hand corner, turns out to be the shock absorber has given up, so need to fit a new one. I'm not  saying this might be your issue but just an idea but I guess it shouldn't pass an MOT if it was that.

Trouble with rattles is they can literally come from anywhere from parcel shelf, something fallen down below seats, all sorts of things. Hope you find it.

It is frustrating,I get the wastegate noise  at all temps , however it is abit louder when its cold. I haven't checked the actuator it self, any ideas on how to do this?

Yeah I originally thought that , however the rear shocks have been looked at and I am told everything is fine! I am tempted to remove the rear bumper and take it for a spin to see if it does it! I have also had a lot of  the rear trim out put padding everywhere but still no luck :(

Well to check the actuator I guess isn't SO easy. The best thing to do is make sure it isn't sticking, so to get best access you need to remove the EGR Valve Motor (4 torx bolts) and the bit of the loom with the large plug that sits to the right of that and you'll have enough room to get your hand in. There is then a E Clip on the actuator that you can carefully pull off (try not to lose it but there are new ones available for like £2 for 4 on eBay). I have some now due to me flicking mine off by accident and losing it, so could even send you one if you needed it I only need 1.

Then with the arm now disconnected from the actuator, push and pull it down and up and see if there is much resistance, if it's pretty much stuck or hard to move then you need all the variable vane mech in the exhaust side of the turbo cleaning out. Mine moved as smooth as butter and didn't take any effort so it's not what's causing mine.

Thanks for the info and the offer but I will order some of eBay at the weekend :) you might need them some time! Although I don't think it is the actuator as it pulls well through the gears.