Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Gear Knob

andrew43

Well I figured out yesterday that the wires on the gear knob have come apart, so I need to fix that before I fit anything else. Am going to take it to the Ford dealer and ask them to fit it, either that or an auto electrician and when I do I'll post up a guide on how to do it so we can hit this stupid GEM on the head once and for all!

HI danny, what problems you are having!look at the green connector plug,as i said earlier the pins run 1to12 top row left to right and 13to 24 bottom row right to left you want pin 20 (blue wire with a brown tracer) cut this wire insert one end of the blue/brown wire into the heatshrink connector and the other end of the blue/brown wire together with the orange wire of the illum gear knob into the other end of the heatshrink connector crimp both ends and heat,this will give a nice professional splice. you've already located the GEM from my earlier postings,so it should be quite easy.

regards

carlo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlo

• dannyhilton

• Jonny87

• Focus_ST-3

Ford Parts man and Carlo. Thanks for your input, it was much appreciated and the best info ive had thus far. I was suggesting the sidelights and what not as a simple solution. But if its relativly easy to independantly hook them up then I would be much happier with that.

Would it be a difficult job for a complete electriction novice(I did some soldering/circuit work in school...5 years+ ago) Or for peace of mind should I get someone else to do it?

Thanks

(and sorry for making this thread two threads, just you guys where talking about something slightly relevant ;) )

Jay

Hi jason, If you want to hook these footwell lights up independently you will have to do the following:

1.Find a 12v supply (you say you do not want to splice into the existing loom,so that also counts out the fuse board as pushing wires into fuse holders is not recommended,it will have to be the battery,which now brings the problem of routing the wire through the bulkhead rubber into the engine compartment.

2.Find an earth point near the battery (there's one behind the near side headlight on the chassis leg,near to the engine compartment fuse box)

3.Find a location in the car for the switch which turns the lights on and off,stuffing under the dash fascia is not very nice looking or professional.A possible position would be, if you open the glove box you will see the place were the passenger airbag isolation switch should live(if not fitted)this position would be ideal.

4.once you have run all the wire in you need to put a fuse holder (use a 10amp fuse) inline before the switch, maybe under the dash or next to the battery connection.

5.Connect the wires to the switch from the battery.

6.connect the wires from the footwell lights to the switch.

If everything has been carried out correctly your footwell lights can now be turned on/off independently by the switch.

Regards

Carlo

• 2 years later...

May I ask someone to explain the concept of GEM. What does it do and why is it so important to find it. I have the Gear knob on order so I would like to start to prepare for the mod. Anyone knows where to find a guide or tutorial?

May I ask someone to explain the concept of GEM. What does it do and why is it so important to find it. I have the Gear knob on order so I would like to start to prepare for the mod. Anyone knows where to find a guide or tutorial?

if you have ordered the genuine ford part, it comes with a fitting manual, which shows you were the GEM is.

GEM, stands for General Electric(al) Module. It basically controls and powers the bulk of the eletrical operations for the car, wipers, lights, windows, etc.

The funny thing is, I got my local Ford dealer to wire mine up (I fitted it myself just left cables loose for them), and they didn't acutally wire it up like Ford show. They wired it up behind the air-con controls, said its much easier than messing about with the GEM.

Thank you for your response and time.

So hypothetically, what would be the advantage of wiring it to the GEM then? How would it react if it would be attached to GEM in terms of when the LED's would go on and off.

Compared to GEM, wouldn't the easiest option be to wire it to either sidelights, courtesy light, footwell (those who have this option), side lights, to aircon (like they did in your case) or any other connection.

Sorry if its bit newb question but I do want to educate myself and understand what its all about.

Cheers

Mine is wired so that it lights up as soon as you turn any lights on. Like the ambient lighting.

Technically no advantage to going straight into GEM, as long as it is on a circuit to light up when you want it too it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know exactly what circuit they wired mine into though.

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated. I will just go with whatever is easiest to access. Cheers

The easiest place to wire it is a lighter socket illumination feed if you have one.

On with headlights and easy to access.

Mine is wired in to sidelights as that's when you'd want it on (when it's dark and you turn your lights on)

• 10 months later...

Can someone explain what is the easiest option to tap to a ground. Is there a ground point behind the glove box or is there a loom or wire that I could easily tap into?

I would appreciate any help.

Just attach a ground wire to any body or chassis mounted screw.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club