Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3.5 questions

B0D0

Hello everybody, I have a Focus mk3.5 1.5 Tdci 120 Titanium and I have a few questions, hope you can help.

Here is a link to my New member presentation 

1. We just discovered this yesterday. The car does NOT have keyless entry, but with the car locked, when i am next to the car with the key in my pocket, hand or close by (1.5-2 m) when i put the hand over the handle the car unlocks itself. I can't make it to close itself yet but I will look into that. Any ideas? In the manual it doesn't say anything about it.

2. How many lights do you have in the boot? For some reason I have only one, on the left hand side. On the right there is just a hole. They forgot to ad it? Also what sort of light bulb do you have? In my manual it says that I need a Festoon 211 10W. I though it uses a T10 type. Are they Canbus type or regular works just fine? 

3. The puddle lights are using canbus ar regular? I want to change them with LEDs because they are a horrible yellow, as is the boot light.

4. When your mk3.5 was new how did the brake pedal feel? Mine is a bit spongy, feels like it's got air in the system. When my Fiesta was new (2013), all i had to do is to gently touch the brake pedal, otherwise the car would have stopped in a hurry.

5. The pads are from a soft material because my rims get dirty veryyyy quick. After the first 2 weeks and about 500 km, they  were extremely dirty with brake dust. How are your brake pads?

6. Clutch pedal. Mine has a very high/tall bite point. Higher than Fiestas. How is your clutch pedal?

7. Another thing is the front passenger footwell  space. It's a bit small. I can't stretch my legs (when I am not driving of course) very well under the dashboard like in any other car I have been in. I know most  of you are having right hand drives but it should be the same. 

8. MPG. I get 47 mpg (6/100km) on  a full tank 70-30% motorway-city. Of course it's a 1.5 Tdci 120hp. With the Fiesta i have never dropped bellow 56 (5) and with this I feel i will not drop bellow 47. Still early days (1500km)

I will not ask about the satnav-it's hopeless at giving directions at junctions/roundabouts-, or the ''premium'' s....ty Sony Speakers which have a very flat sound.

At 3000 km i will go for a check up at the dealer and I will ask them about all this as well.

Overall we do like the car very much, It's much better than a  Fiesta, although Fiesta has some little things that the Focus doesn't have and I wished it had.

Thanks a lot and sorry for so many questions.

• Like 1

On point one- that is keyless entry.
To lock the car tap the flat square next to the keyhole.
First time to lock and second time to deadlock.
Indicators will flash to confirm.
One flash for first lock and two flashes when deadlocked.

Sent from my SM-G930F

1. As Clive says, this means you do have keyless entry, the touch pad to lock it is on the handle.
  2. I have two, but I have read Ford have started penny pinching on newer built Focus and dropped it to one. You may find the wiring is present to hook up another if you are lucky.
  3. Puddles and boot lights are not Canbus. I have changed both to LED on mine.
  4. Brakes can be a bit soft while the pads beds in. Do you have drums or discs on the back?
  5. My wheels always look dirty after that sort of mileage anyway, lol.
  6. Sounds about right on the Focus, it too will also bed in and self adjust. Try another Focus with the same engine if you are concerned.
  7. No problem in mine, unless your fuse box cover has dropped down or something?
  8. Sounds reasonable for Focus. It's less aero dynamic and some 300 kg heavier than a Fiesta,
  • Like 1

Thx a lot, but on the door handle I DON'T have that black square thing plus I don't have deadlock. It only has a ''dent''. One press flashes one time, second press and it flashes again one time.

Zoom door handle.jpg

3.What sort of LED did you put? Did they last?

4. I have disc brakes all around.

• Like 1

That dent is the keyless touch pad for locking.

One touch locks, two touches double locks.

I put Osram LEDs in mine, still going strong after over a year.

• Like 1

I will check to see when i touch it what will happen.

I know people say that is best to buy quality LEDs and not cheap ones , but they are a bit on the expensive side. Maybe I will put 2 good ones 4 puddles, because I saw they are a bit fiddly  to fit and some sort of panel LED in the boot. I will check for some cables to see maybe I am lucky but I will not hold my breath.

Fords website is useless on information about what equipment the car has.

Thx a lot.

• Like 1

Confirmed, I DO have keyless entry/exit.

It's a bit of a fiddle to lock but it works. Had no idea about this and on Ford's website(Spain) there is no info regarding this. I bet the dealer doesn't know either.

Thx a lot for the replies.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 11:31 AM, B0D0 said:

Hello everybody, I have a Focus mk3.5 1.5 Tdci 120 Titanium and I have a few questions, hope you can help.

Here is a link to my New member presentation 

1. We just discovered this yesterday. The car does NOT have keyless entry, but with the car locked, when i am next to the car with the key in my pocket, hand or close by (1.5-2 m) when i put the hand over the handle the car unlocks itself. I can't make it to close itself yet but I will look into that. Any ideas? In the manual it doesn't say anything about it.

This is keyless entry as some have already said :)

2. How many lights do you have in the boot? For some reason I have only one, on the left hand side. On the right there is just a hole. They forgot to ad it? Also what sort of light bulb do you have? In my manual it says that I need a Festoon 211 10W. I though it uses a T10 type. Are they Canbus type or regular works just fine? 

I believe only the estate comes with two, and they are 501 (T10) bulbs. No Canbus errors I don't think as I haven't seen any with my LEDs.

3. The puddle lights are using canbus ar regular? I want to change them with LEDs because they are a horrible yellow, as is the boot light.

4. When your mk3.5 was new how did the brake pedal feel? Mine is a bit spongy, feels like it's got air in the system. When my Fiesta was new (2013), all i had to do is to gently touch the brake pedal, otherwise the car would have stopped in a hurry.

Mine's the same, but I think this is the system doing this on purpose because by christ if you ever need to stamp on it, your car will stop, and I've had to do it. Best stopping car I've owned, and that's with rear drums.

5. The pads are from a soft material because my rims get dirty veryyyy quick. After the first 2 weeks and about 500 km, they  were extremely dirty with brake dust. How are your brake pads?

Same. After about 2 weeks of driving from a clean my wheels are black.

6. Clutch pedal. Mine has a very high/tall bite point. Higher than Fiestas. How is your clutch pedal?

It's not overly high, but its not stupidly low either for me. It's quite a nice position for pulling off.

7. Another thing is the front passenger footwell  space. It's a bit small. I can't stretch my legs (when I am not driving of course) very well under the dashboard like in any other car I have been in. I know most  of you are having right hand drives but it should be the same. 

Move your seat back further and pull your steering wheel out as far as it will go, that'll give you some space.

8. MPG. I get 47 mpg (6/100km) on  a full tank 70-30% motorway-city. Of course it's a 1.5 Tdci 120hp. With the Fiesta i have never dropped bellow 56 (5) and with this I feel i will not drop bellow 47. Still early days (1500km)

You should be able to get 57 easily with this car. In the summer I was hitting this with a combination of both.

I will not ask about the satnav-it's hopeless at giving directions at junctions/roundabouts-, or the ''premium'' s....ty Sony speakers which have a very flat sound.

Satnav is perfectly useful enough! Regarding the sound, you need to tweak it. I turn the bass up to 3 and it sounds awesome. Plus if you have rubbish going in i.e low quality audio files then you will really notice it on this system.

At 3000 km i will go for a check up at the dealer and I will ask them about all this as well.

Overall we do like the car very much, It's much better than a  Fiesta, although Fiesta has some little things that the Focus doesn't have and I wished it had.

Thanks a lot and sorry for so many questions.

3 hours ago, B0D0 said:

Confirmed, I DO have keyless entry/exit.

It's a bit of a fiddle to lock but it works. Had no idea about this and on Ford's website(Spain) there is no info regarding this. I bet the dealer doesn't know either.

Thx a lot for the replies.

Hmm, I have that keyless entry too but it never seems to lock if I touch it, so I always use the fob instead, is there a knack to how to touch it?

We didn't expect to have it as apparently the titanium's don't get it, or so we were told.

Make sure your hand isn't around the handle, or it won't do anything.

• Like 1

Thanks Alex & Stoney that worked, guess I had my hand on the handle before.

• Like 1

On 25/01/2017 at 11:31 AM, B0D0 said:

May not be related but I couldn't get a straight answer from Ford about ETIS indicating my new car (1.5 TDCI Tit X) not having the Active Grille Radiator shutter system that Ford claims improves efficiency and aerodynamics = better MPG.   My previous 2016 version of the same model had the system and average MPG was about 57 but I don't get my new car for a few weeks. It appears the system was dropped on some model from around mid 2016 build looking at ETIS.   

Does your car have the active grille system ?

15 hours ago, avi said:

May not be related but I couldn't get a straight answer from Ford about ETIS indicating my new car (1.5 TDCI Tit X) not having the Active Grille Radiator shutter system that Ford claims improves efficiency and aerodynamics = better MPG.   My previous 2016 version of the same model had the system and average MPG was about 57 but I don't get my new car for a few weeks. It appears the system was dropped on some model from around mid 2016 build looking at ETIS.   

Does your car have the active grille system ?

Mine doesn't. I had a look  and i can see the radiator and the intercooler. Maybe they had overheating problems? Or just cost cuts.... 57 much better than 47. 

Do you remember if your previous one had two lights in the boot? I am 100% sure they had two lights in the boot before.

17 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Just run a finger over the touch pad twice.

Keyless entry touch pad.jpg

On mine it works better if I touch the little line to the left of the touchpad. Strange I know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

I believe only the estate comes with two, and they are 501 (T10) bulbs. No Canbus errors I don't think as I haven't seen any with my LEDs.

Nope, the hatchback had it too. Now I am curious to see if they removed it from the estate.

2 hours ago, B0D0 said:

Mine doesn't. I had a look  and i can see the radiator and the intercooler. Maybe they had overheating problems? Or just cost cuts.... 57 much better than 47. 

Do you remember if your previous one had two lights in the boot? I am 100% sure they had two lights in the boot before.

What build date is your car on ETIS ?

Don't know but Ford still advertise the Feature and as far as I can tell it's only be dropped from the Diesel model.   With the current emission fixing scandals misleading consumers I wonder what losing this means in terms of emission and MPG ?

Ford don't appear to have changed their claimed numbers of said what they have done to offset the lose of improved aerodynamic (7% better ?) etc.   Here the wording from the current UK website - "

"Better aerodynamics for improved economy

When you’re driving slowly, the Active Grille Shutter system keeps the grille vent open to cool the engine. When you pick up speed it can automatically close, improving aerodynamics and helping to save fuel. Over time, this technology can make a big difference."

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Focus/Features

Given the above Ford claim about a "big difference" I'm concerned what this mean in terms of real world MPG compared to the exact same car I recently got rid of that had the system and averaged 57mpg.

Contacted Ford CRC who basically responded with corporate market speak and didn't actually answer the question. Given my concern is about economy and emissions I may write to Honest John or other motoring sites to see if they can find out what it means.

Sorry I can't remember how many boot lights my 2016 car had.

5 minutes ago, avi said:

Don't know but Ford still advertise the Feature and as far as I can tell it's only be dropped from the Diesel model.   With the current emission fixing scandals misleading consumers I wonder what losing this means in terms of emission and MPG ?

Ford don't appear to have changed their claimed numbers of said what they have done to offset the lose of improved aerodynamic (7% better ?) etc.   Here the wording from the current UK website - "

"Better aerodynamics for improved economy

When you’re driving slowly, the Active Grille Shutter system keeps the grille vent open to cool the engine. When you pick up speed it can automatically close, improving aerodynamics and helping to save fuel. Over time, this technology can make a big difference."

http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Focus/Features

Given the above Ford claim about a "big difference" I'm concerned what this mean in terms of real world MPG compared to the exact same car I recently got rid of that had the system and averaged 57mpg.

Contacted Ford CRC who basically responded with corporate market speak and didn't actually answer the question. Given my concern is about economy and emissions I may write to Honest John or other motoring sites to see if they can find out what it means.

Sorry I can't remember how many boot lights my 2016 car had.

When i will take the car for the 3000 km check up I will ask them about it and I will write back (end of February maybe).

I already have a long list with questions. 

If you find out something pls let us know.

4 minutes ago, B0D0 said:

When i will take the car for the 3000 km check up I will ask them about it and I will write back (end of February maybe).

I already have a long list with questions. 

If you find out something pls let us know.

My previous 1.5 TDCI ti X shows  ETIS build date of 21/01/2016  and "With Kysor Radiator Shutter". My new 1.5 TDCI Ti X with a December 2016 build date show "less radiator shutter".  Out of curiosity what does ETIS say about your car ?

I've asked a couple of Ford dealers (sales and workshop) and they had no idea it was dropped.

Just now, avi said:

My previous 1.5 TDCI ti X shows  ETIS build date of 21/01/2016  and "With Kysor Radiator Shutter". My new 1.5 TDCI Ti X with a December 2016 build date show "less radiator shutter".  Out of curiosity what does ETIS say about your car ?

I've asked a couple of Ford dealers (sales and workshop) and they had no idea it was dropped.

Have you got the car to see it has been removed?

10 minutes ago, avi said:

My car was built 07/10/2016

I have found this too:

•  Keyless Entry/Start - Passive

•  Less Radiator Shutters

To be honest, if you leave climate control on Auto all the time (like I do), it stays open anyway, lol.

But they are a bit wrong, ETIS, you have to take it with a pinch of salt that info

They say that I don't have satnav, but I do .

I am sure the suspension is dropped by 10 mm and that it is sport, but they say it's normal suspension...

Veryyyy poor info or lack off. 

3 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

To be honest, if you leave climate control on Auto all the time (like I do), it stays open anyway, lol.

I did loads of photos with the car and i had a look back than and the car was with the engine off.

Later today when the car gets home I will look again and I will take a photo.

All i have now is this.

DSC_3118.JPGDSC_3371.JPGDSC_3406.JPG

22 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Have you got the car to see it has been removed?

No not got it yet so can't eyeball.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club